Tatjana Flade Article on Alina Zagitova (Interview) | Golden Skate

Tatjana Flade Article on Alina Zagitova (Interview)

IceBallerina

On the Ice
Tatjana Flade wrote an article for the magazine "International Figure Skating" about Olympic champion Alina Zagitova. Featuring words from Eteri and Alina herself, it discusses the challenges she's facing as she continues on in the sport. Here's a few quotes from the articles as well as some summarizations. Due to copyright I am not allowed to post the whole thing, but if you'd like to read it PM me

“It was difficult for her. There was a loss of coordination and this is still present,” said coach Eteri Tutberidze. “I don’t want to say that we overcame all of this, but we are in the process of going through it. It has been tough. This happens when things don’t work for her, when there are demands on her, and though she is doing everything, she feels like she is running on the spot. It is like she is running with all her power, but she is not moving.”

“Due to her body changes, Alina now needs at least 30 or 40 minutes of solid practice before she starts to jump normally. Her new body does not yet have the muscle memory.”

The article goes on to discuss that Zagitova is very active on social media, which can sometimes be troubling for her as we all know some posts are not very positive. Alina added that she was extremely nervous at the test skates and took the negativity to heart.

Tutberidze knows it is not an easy task to continue competing at the highest level. "To try and appear worthy of being an Olympic champion is very hard morally, and probably hard to overcome," she said. "It is not a question of motivation, but rather a question of expectations. Alina understands what the fans expect from her, what we all expect of her, and so there is huge pressure on her from all sides."

They go on to further discuss Alina's new programs this year. Their wish is to develop her more artisitcally and as a well rounded skater. Zagitova wanted to skate to Carmen last season but Tutberidze felt as if she was not ready for the character, leaving it for this season.

"We mounted her two new programs and maximized the difficulty of the transitions and connecting elements," Tutberidze explained. "Everyone, including the federation, asked us to make it easier, but we didn't do that. They want it to be easier so she gets all the jumps done and it is easier for her. Obviously, it is tiring, the transitions are hard and the speed is fast. But this is the way we are developing her.

Her coaches brought back the triple lutz-triple toe combination that Zagitova had not attempted the past two seasons because it was not included in her programs. "She didn't do it at all during the time she was growing up and her body was changing, so it was hard to get it back, physically and mentally," said Tutberidze.

"It is kind of risky, but the long program ‘Don Quixote' (from last season) was built on risk and it won. These two combinations, the Lutz-loop and Lutz-toe loop, are both done with a different technique, which means she needs to have a different entry for the same jump. That is hard to switch in one program. But it is something she has to overcome. Obviously, it is in our minds that we might change that and do something different.”

"This year there was no way out. The only thing I told Alina was, either you match this character or I will not allow you to skate to it. After working with her for one and a half to two weeks, I saw — as strange as it might sound — this “meat” in her movements and glances when portraying the role of 'Carmen' and I liked it."

Zagitova discusses her experiences and how she's changed since the olympics, yet at the same time has remained the same.

"She is still Alina, a friendly, open-minded girl that has dreams like other teenagers. I like her very much. She is very talented, she is very beautiful, and she has something special. In addition to that, she works hard and understands that it is sometimes difficult. Even though she has fulfilled the biggest dream an athlete can have, she finds the motivation to go on."

"I have my motivation, but I won't tell anyone what it is," Zagitova added with a smile. "This is just for myself."

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
It is not a question of motivation, but rather a question of expectations.

Exactly. I see it in many reactions. As if the fact you are an olympic champion took the right for not being always perfect away from you. And some people can be very mean and don't accept Alina is just human being like any other.

IceBallerina

On the Ice
Exactly. I see it in many reactions. As if the fact you are an olympic champion took the right for not being always perfect away from you. And some people can be very mean and don't accept Alina is just human being like any other.

I've heard the quote before, "The cost of gold is your freedom". As an athlete, an Olympic gold medal is the most coveted prize. Unfortunately there's always a price to pay and it seems that there's just more and more expectation rising on Alina's shoulders. But there's no doubt in my mind that she will overcome this.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Love the interview! Thanks for posting. It confirmed most of what I already thought about Alina- that she is a fierce competitor, but also a lovely young girl with her whole life ahead of her. I hope Alina realizes she has already achieved way more than 99.9999% of the world by winning the biggest prize of all, Olympic gold. The fact that she hasn’t retired already from competition is so admirable. The so called expectations and pressure are not ultimately important IMO and just noise that can be debilitating to her own personal growth as a skater and as a person. She needs to find a way to shut out everyone else’s expectations and just skate for herself. Of course, this is a very American thing to say, and I don’t know if she will understand or agree. No matter what, I hope she knows how many people love and support her around the world, regardless of the outcome of the next few competitions. Also, Alina: stay off social media!! It is toxic!

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
A lot of the online criticism re: Alina is poorly disguised or just straight-up hate. You can be frustrated at the ISU, the judges, Eteri, etc., but don't take it out on her. She doesn't deserve it. Alina seems like someone with a good head on her shoulders, and I hope she continues to evolve as a skater.

asingingwife

Rinkside
It's good to see Alina doing more media :) Hopefully she gets more comfortable in the public eye. She already has accomplished a lot.

A question though, is there normally this much scrutiny about a skater growing? I don't remember seeing articles with quite as much focus on growing about Evgenia. Is this just because she's Olympic champ or did she grow THAT much? I'm just confused... she doesn't look that much taller.

Seruleane

Final Flight
It's good to see Alina doing more media :) Hopefully she gets more comfortable in the public eye. She already has accomplished a lot.

A question though, is there normally this much scrutiny about a skater growing? I don't remember seeing articles with quite as much focus on growing about Evgenia. Is this just because she's Olympic champ or did she grow THAT much? I'm just confused... she doesn't look that much taller.

Alina has grown a lot over the last 2 years, as would be expected for a girl her age. Just look at any of her junior performances of Don Quixote from the 2016-17 season. I think she is doing great with her growth spurt though :)

katymay

Medalist
Love the interview! Thanks for posting. It confirmed most of what I already thought about Alina- that she is a fierce competitor, but also a lovely young girl with her whole life ahead of her. I hope Alina realizes she has already achieved way more than 99.9999% of the world by winning the biggest prize of all, Olympic gold. The fact that she hasn’t retired already from competition is so admirable. The so called expectations and pressure are not ultimately important IMO and just noise that can be debilitating to her own personal growth as a skater and as a person. She needs to find a way to shut out everyone else’s expectations and just skate for herself. Of course, this is a very American thing to say, and I don’t know if she will understand or agree. No matter what, I hope she knows how many people love and support her around the world, regardless of the outcome of the next few competitions. Also, Alina: stay off social media!! It is toxic!
I hate to think of her reading some of the awful stuff on social media.

lusk8

Record Breaker
Yay the article is here!! Thank you IceBallerina.

Alina is a lovely young woman and this article for me was an awakening about all that goes on during a skater’s developing.

It’s a delicate equation that you need to balance out as you introduce new elements. She is changing physically, evolving as a performer and gaining new skills. At the same time the skills that she had before need to be reworked and retooled.

I’m sure this is a challenge for many skaters and we see even grown ladies addressing technical issues and furthering their evolution.

For Alina, who has already accomplished so much, making changes means letting go of secure doable layouts and taking risks. She is a super hard worker and has immense talent so I’m sure she is on the right path to have a long lasting career in skating.

I hope she skates for herself, for the joy of doing something you love and can do so well. For me watching her skate will always be the highlight to any day.

IceBallerina

On the Ice
Yay the article is here!! Thank you IceBallerina.

Alina is a lovely young woman and this article for me was an awakening about all that goes on during a skater’s developing.

It’s a delicate equation that you need to balance out as you introduce new elements. She is changing physically, evolving as a performer and gaining new skills. At the same time the skills that she had before need to be reworked and retooled.

I’m sure this is a challenge for many skaters and we see even grown ladies addressing technical issues and furthering their evolution.

For Alina, who has already accomplished so much, making changes means letting go of secure doable layouts and taking risks. She is a super hard worker and has immense talent so I’m sure she is on the right path to have a long lasting career in skating.

I hope she skates for herself, for the joy of doing something you love and can do so well. For me watching her skate will always be the highlight to any day.

Your words are always wise and kind lusk8 :)