NBC Sports Gold Figure Skating Pass | Golden Skate

NBC Sports Gold Figure Skating Pass

xabia

On the Ice
Hi everyone. I didn't know that NBC offered a streaming service and wondered how it compares to Eurosport. Since I live in the UK I've been using Eurosport Player for the past 5 years and most of the time it's ok, although the timing schedule can be a bit up in the air, especially if snooker tends to run late and the skating just has to wait until it's finished! The only difference I can see with the NBC package is the inclusion of the US Nationals (and Regionals). Everything else is available on Eurosport and Eurosport Player. Who are the commentators on NBC? I wouldn't welcome listening to the drivel from Tara and Johnnie, especially since Eurosport have the best commentators in Chris Howarth, Mark Hanretty and Catherine Whittaker. I would consider switching to the NBC package next year when my Eurosport package terminates. What do NBC Gold Pass users think of the service? Would they recommend that I switch to it next year? :scratch2:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think the NBC pass is available only in USA (and maybe Canada); geoblocked everywhere else. IIRC, Skate America was the only event that had Tara/Johnny commentary. The video quality & general reliability have been far superior to what we got on Ice Network; well worth the subsciption money for me. Also, it is compatible with Apple devices, a big improvement over IN!

RobinA

On the Ice
I'm liking it. You can watch the events any time, so no worries about scheduling. I'm missing commentary somewhat, because sometimes I just don't get why people score higher or lower than I think they should. No commercials is nice, as is seeing the whole event. I feel it's worth the money if you plan on watching most of it.

ribbit

On the Ice
I'm enjoying it too. I used to have the Olympic Channel, but I cut the cord when I moved last year and don't have cable anymore. This won't be relevant to the OP, but for any US-based GSers who may be reading this, I'm liking the NBC Sports Gold pass much more than I did the Olympic Channel coverage for several reasons: no commentary, whole events, on-demand replays, the fact that I can stream to my laptop. Now I can watch events whenever I want, wherever I want, with no need to plan ahead. I never signed up for Ice Network because of the consistent complaints about the low quality of the streams, so I can't compare the two, but I've been happy with the quality of the stream. And my 5-year-old laptop and basic broadband package can easily cope with my simultaneously streaming the coverage and checking the GS competition forums. All in all, it's a :points:

theharleyquinn

Medalist
No complaints from me either, other than when they cut off the medal ceremonies. I think it's working out really well.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've enjoyed the coverage that does not include commentary. I wouldn't mind a little commentary, but not if it's going to be their lead duo of Tweedles Dee and Dum.

I love that I can stream it from my roku and not just on my laptop.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
U. S. qualifying and championship events are available on NBC Gold Pass: U.S. Figure Skating qualifying and championship events are available in Austria, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and the U.K.

It does not appear that the other events such as GP, Worlds, 4CC or any other events are available outside of the U. S.
So far I have had a good experience since I prefer not to have commentary and the stream quality if good. I like the on demand feature so I can catch up on anything I miss when it is convenient for me.

xabia

On the Ice
U. S. qualifying and championship events are available on NBC Gold Pass: U.S. Figure Skating qualifying and championship events are available in Austria, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and the U.K.

It does not appear that the other events such as GP, Worlds, 4CC or any other events are available outside of the U. S.
So far I have had a good experience since I prefer not to have commentary and the stream quality if good. I like the on demand feature so I can catch up on anything I miss when it is convenient for me.

Thanks for the info on GEO blocking. It would be great to watch US Nationals but without GP, Worlds etc. it's not really worth paying the subscription. So I'll just have to stick with British Eurosport and rely on the wonderful people who post videos on Golden Skate's video thread for US Nationals.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly I miss icenetwork. They had lots of stuff NBC Sports Gold does not. So far there has only been commentary for Skate America. The others have not had commentary, but are played with commentary on the Olympic Channel the following week. Sometimes good (Ben Agosto, Tannith White, Charlie White), sometime meh (Ryan Bradley, Ashley Wagner ), sometimes ....Tara and Johnny. You'll pry my cable remote and my Olympic channel from my cold, dead hands.

DC2003

Rinkside
Is anyone else having trouble accessing events from 2017? I cannot access anything prior to the last segment of the 2017 Grand Prix Final - essentially everything from last season that occurred in calendar year 2017. Since the subscription is for everything in the current and prior seasons, these should still be available.

Appreciate any help/insights....thanks!

g8rsara

Rinkside
Is anyone else having trouble accessing events from 2017? I cannot access anything prior to the last segment of the 2017 Grand Prix Final - essentially everything from last season that occurred in calendar year 2017. Since the subscription is for everything in the current and prior seasons, these should still be available.

Appreciate any help/insights....thanks!

I can only back as far as Oct 2017. I have had it for a few months now and have never been able to go back farther then 2017 (not sure if exact date). It’s annoying but I have never remembered to complain or dig deeper, but it’s not just you!

DC2003

Rinkside
I was able to go back to the start of the 2017-18 season up until this week. The Season Pass is supposed to give you access to all the major senior competitions including the Grand Prix events from 2017-18. When I logged in this weekend, everything except the 2017 Grand Prix Final Free dance was gone.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm watching 2017 Rostelcom Cup. It's good ,except commercials. But you can fast forward through the commercials.

DC2003

Rinkside
How were you able to access this? When i scroll down to the end of the screen, the oldest event I can access is from 12/9/17. (I have tried using both a desktop and a laptop.) The 2017 Rostelecom Cup was in October 2017. I don't see any way to extend the list such as navigating to a new page or a search bar where I can look for the event.

I reached out three times to NBC Sports Gold and never got a response. I'm waiting until after January 4 once the app goes live to try again.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How were you able to access this? When i scroll down to the end of the screen, the oldest event I can access is from 12/9/17. (I have tried using both a desktop and a laptop.) The 2017 Rostelecom Cup was in October 2017. I don't see any way to extend the list such as navigating to a new page or a search bar where I can look for the event.

I reached out three times to NBC Sports Gold and never got a response. I'm waiting until after January 4 once the app goes live to try again.

I went to the replay and used the filter for figure skating. And you have to scroll down a long ways to get to 2017 grand prix. I'm going to rewatch them all, because I'm afraid they'll go away.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Forgive me but I live in the last century...there will be an app? Right now, I watch SportsGold by putting a laptop with an HDMI output next to the telly and get the signal over wifi. Works fine. But the browser in my smart tv is purposefully made dumb (little flash memory) so that I CANT watch streaming like SportsGold directly on the smart TV. They want me to use their bloatware apps like HULU and NETFLIX. If I can somehow download an app for Sports Gold, then my smart TV will work with the streaming. I will be all set for Nats and Euros....

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Forgive me but I live in the last century...there will be an app? Right now, I watch SportsGold by putting a laptop with an HDMI output next to the telly and get the signal over wifi. Works fine. But the browser in my smart tv is purposefully made dumb (little flash memory) so that I CANT watch streaming like SportsGold directly on the smart TV. They want me to use their bloatware apps like HULU and NETFLIX. If I can somehow download an app for Sports Gold, then my smart TV will work with the streaming. I will be all set for Nats and Euros....

I got an email recently that said that starting at some point next month, Sports Gold content can be accessed through the normal NBC Sports app. This should help most smart tvs connect.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

There is an app now. I got a fire stick and I can watch NBC Sports Gold just fine.