Pairs Power Rankings | Golden Skate

Pairs Power Rankings

bobbob

Medalist
There has been one for every other discipline, so here it is. I knows pairs gets little love... Pairs is usually not as volatile as some of the other 2 disciplines, usually by the first season there is a clear idea of who is a top contender for the next Olympic title. Consider these predictions for Worlds 2019.

1. Sui and Han - I don't believe a team should be excluded from power rankings because they skip the Grand Prix series in an off year. As long as we know for sure they are not retiring, which I am sure they, a young team, are not, they should be here. And their position here really needs no explanation. They are the favorites to win Worlds 2019, and the only team that is an early favorite to win Gold in Beijing.
2. James and Cipres - Their skate at skate Canada was amazing. I think they will do extremely well this season, they seem to be in great form--this will be their breakout season as a truly top pair. However similar to Duhamel and Radford, I think their fundamental skating skills as a pair is a little rough in places, and they are not super young, so I have my doubts beyond this season.
3. Tarasova and Morosov - Their early outings this season have been really disappointing. They could have established themselves as a dominant force and make Sui and Han knock them off when they return, but they still have subpar programs and somewhat inconsistent sbs and throws. Skating skills are not enough. Still, incredible potential. If I were predicting for this season J/C just look stronger, but they definitely still have more hope for 2022.

4. Yu and Zhang - I have no doubt that they will come back with a bang, they are training hard but I have no doubts they will be ready for worlds.
5. Zabiiako and Enbert - great in Japan, won both GP events which is a great feat, but what they put out already seems to be their upper bound
6. Peng and Jin - they have really done well this season, although there are a couple of favorable conditions (there are no other Chinese pairs, and they are doing a 2S in the long)
7. Boikova and Koslovskii - their skate in Canada was honestly one of the best skates this season for me, obviously the score was not there because they are still new but they remind me of T/M in 2015. They may need the other Russian teams to encounter some issues if they want to viewed as an elite pair, though.
8. Moore-towers and Marinaro - they certainly have a lot of good qualities but again their scoring potential seems very limited
9. Della Monica and Guarise - kind of a holdover...again their potential seems limited but they do have pretty high PCS for an off year
10. Pavliuchenko and Khodykin - another strong, young Russian pair with great pair elements...there are just too many Russians for them to stand out though

rachno2

Record Breaker
Pairs might be my favorite overall discipline. I have a lot of favorite teams, but no debilitating emotional attachments (so I can always calmly watch and enjoy), and the judging is usually fair, too.

1. SUI Wenjing /HAN Cong
With the other Olympic medalists gone, S/H are the clear favorites going into the new quad. The quality of their elements is so superior to everyone else that I would still rank them #1 despite their absence from the Grand Prix. However, they need to watch out for future injuries, and if they stay out of the game too long then they could see their place challenged by other teams.

2. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES
The reigning World Bronze medalists recently stated that their goal is to be World Champions—and they are doing everything they can to make that dream a reality. Nowhere is this more evident than in their programs this season, which are brilliant vehicles for showcasing their chemistry and charisma. While they have yet to go head-to-head, J/C have the clear edge over T/M in the run-up to Rostelecom and IdF. That said, they are still a bit "rough around the edges" and might have to settle for another bronze when faced with a clean S/H and T/M.

3. Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV
After nearly making the podium in Pyeongchang and winning silver in Milano, T/M looked poised to lead in the new Olympic cycle. The quality is there, and the free program highlights their strengths in a way that Candyman did not, but the expected dominance has not come to fruition. Although they are undefeated, struggles with consistency could be their downfall when they have to face stronger competition, both internationally and at home.

4. Natalia ZABIIAKO / Alexander ENBERT
After two lackluster wins at Lombardia and Helsinki, Z/E laid down two assertive performances at NHK to secure their place in the Grand Prix Final. While they may not be the most exciting team, they are taking advantage of the new Olympic cycle with new haircuts, new packaging, and the technical goods necessary to consolidate their place as Russia’s #2 pairs team.

5. YU Xiaoyu / ZHANG Hao
Their dominance is not as assured as that of S/H, but they should still be a top contender upon their return. As the #2 team, though, they are more vulnerable to being overtaken by their compatriots.

6. PENG Cheng / JIN Yang
In Sui / Han and Yu / Zhang’s absence, P/J are China’s de-facto #1 team, and their PCS is benefiting as a result. They will need to increase their technical content to become World podium threats, but two charming programs, great chemistry, and solid execution can go a long way.

7. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO
Like P/J, they benefit from being their country’s #1 team—and unlike P/J, they are in no danger of a veteran team returning to reclaim its place. However secure their national standing, their quality and consistency needs to improve if they want to podium at the major international events.

8. Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE
They are a team that is definitely benefiting from the post-Olympic power vacuum in pairs figure skating. While they beat B/K at Lombardia, their performance at GP Helsinki—where P/K seemed to lose to them simply for being a younger team—makes their current position look vulnerable.

9. Aleksandra BOIKOVA / Dmitri KOZLOVSKII
They are by far the most "senior-looking" of the young Russians, at least until Mishina/Galliamov show up. If they continue to skate well, then their PCS will rise and they will be poised to move into the Top 5. That said, they face fierce competition at home: both P/K and E/K have GP medals and could overtake them for the #3 spot at Europeans if they have a bad skate.

10. Daria PAVLIUCHENKO / DENIS KHODYKIN
The reigning World Junior champions had some struggles early in the season, but managed a bronze medal at GP Helsinki and a possible place in the GPF. An unfortunate free program emphasizes their more juniorish qualities, but the potential is there for all the world to see. If B/K and E/K falter, then we might see P/K at Europeans.

11. Alexa SCIMECA-KNIERIM / CHRIS KNIERIM
Possibly ranked too low here, but the first two competitions hurt them and made their position as US #1 look precarious. However, their ability to win a bronze medal at NHK just after switching coaches shows that they are a resilient team and not to be counted out.

Waiting in the wings: Cain / LeDuc, Efimova / Korovin,
Ziegler / Keifer, Alexandrovskaya / Windsor

Sui and Han are still the best team around, even though they're not around.

I agree with the top 3 from both the posters. I would add though, on simply the basis of quality (not in terms of what is rewarded), the connection between Tarasova and Morozov always seems lacking. It seems more like two singles' skaters are skating together, not a pair. Their skating skills get praised a lot: they're good, but for a team that has little to offer beyond technique, I think their SS fall below S/H's, too.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I can't take into the consideration Sui/Han and Yu/Zhang cause we don't now when they will come back and how they will look then. Coming out of injury to start competing again is not an easy task. So without them and for now this is my pair ranking (top 10) at the start of 2018/2019 season (with Season bests and Average scores and in pairs of 2 with similiar position):

1. James/Cipres FRA (SB 221.81 AV 216.01)
2. Tarasova/Morozov RUS (SB 220.25 AV 208.03) - back in contention for 1st place after good skate at Rostelecom with scores similiar of J/C

3. Zabiiako/Enbert RUS (SB 214.14 AV 202.93) - beat P/J at NHK throphy for third place here
4. Peng/Jin CHN (SB 207.24 AV 204.91)

5. Della Monica/Guarise ITA (SB 203.83 AV 189.26) - will compete at GPF
6. Moore Towers/Marinaro CAN (SB 200.93 AV 190.21)

7. Boikova/Kozlovskii RUS (SB 196.54 AV 192.54) - just ahead in the battle for 3rd Russian pair
8. Pavliuchenko/Khodykin RUS (SB 190.01 AV 183.56)

9. Scimeca Knierim/Knierim USA (SB 190.49 AV 179.76)
10. Ziegler/Kiefer AUT (SB 187.01 AV 179.30)

rachno2

Record Breaker
Rankings after CoR:
1. Sui / Han (I hate to say it, but every event just makes them look better)
2. James / Cipres
3. Tarasova / Morozov (I know there were extenuating circumstances at CoR, but they really need to clean up their elements)
4. Zabiiako /Enbert
5. Yu / Zhang
6. Peng / Jin (might switch w/Y + Z if they have a good GPF)
7. Della Monica/Guarise (+1 due to consistency and good scores; could also move up depending on how GPF goes)
8. Moore-Towers/Marinaro (-1; likely out of GPF which makes them even more vulnerable)
9. Boikova/Kozlovskii (the door is wide open for them at IdF to make GPF and stake their claim on Russian #3)
10. Pavliuchenko/Khodykin (messy skate at CoR, but could still make GPF)
11. Scimeca-Knierim/Knierim
12. Ziegler/Keifer (new; could make the top 5 at Euros and the top 10 at Worlds if things go their way)
13. Efimova / Korovin (new; not looking good for them as Russian #3)
14. Cain / LeDuc (new; improving, but a resurgent S-K/K will still beat them for US #1)
15. Alexandrovskaya / Windsor (new; having a rough season, unfortunately)

To be added after IdF:
Ryom/Kim, Kayne / O'Shea, Hase/Seegert, Ruest/Woolfe

s_parks

Record Breaker
9. Aleksandra BOIKOVA / Dmitri KOZLOVSKII
They are by far the most "senior-looking" of the young Russians, at least until Mishina/Galliamov show up. If they continue to skate well, then their PCS will rise and they will be poised to move into the Top 5. That said, they face fierce competition at home: both P/K and E/K have GP medals and could overtake them for the #3 spot at Europeans if they have a bad skate.

Not really pertinent to the discussion at hand, but I fail to see how Mishina/Galliamov are more or equally "senior" looking as B/K. M/G look senior physically and technically, but I feel that they have a ways to go on the artistry.
That said...I've really liked how improved B/K have looked since last season, so I hope their consistency goes up. Rooting for both them and P/K.

rachno2

Record Breaker
Not really pertinent to the discussion at hand, but I fail to see how Mishina/Galliamov are more or equally "senior" looking as B/K. M/G look senior physically and technically, but I feel that they have a ways to go on the artistry.
That said...I've really liked how improved B/K have looked since last season, so I hope their consistency goes up. Rooting for both them and P/K.

That's pretty much what I meant. They look senior physically and technically. I like them, but I definitely prefer B/K :)

Mdk0144

On the Ice

You have a point. I see some juniorish moves watching M/G’a skate. But I also think M/G’s artistry will surely grow when they find their own color. It’s only their second season and they have a room for development and potential.
Boikova/Kozolovskii has wonderful lines, surely have some chemistry between them, but they need more speed and soft knees. They kind of reminds me of Yu/Jin.

I think the rankings would be
1. Sui/Han, if they gets 100% healthy.
2. Tarasova/Morozov-They always set up after the gpf and do euro&worlds brilliantly.
3. James/Cipres-they certainly have great drama and expressions, but T/M is better for skating skills and pair elements.
4. Yu/Zhang or Zabiiako/Enbert-the more consistent one will get the 4th.
5. Yu/Zhang or Zabiiako/Enbert
6. Peng/Jin-seems great this season, but still has to work for that second sbs jump in the fp.
7. Della-Monica/Guarise
8. Moore-towers/Marinaro
9. Boikova/Kozolovskii
10. Pavliuchenko/Khodykin
12. Cain/Leduc
13. Ryom/Kim
14. Efimova/Korovin
15. Ziegler/Kiefer

1. Sui / Han (I hate to say it, but every event just makes them look better)

Well, it's true. A friend said what sets them apart from all the current pairs is that they have a connection AND they integrate elements into their performances without looking like they're taking a break. I quite agree.

They just need to come back lol

s_parks

Record Breaker
Well, it's true. A friend said what sets them apart from all the current pairs is that they have a connection AND they integrate elements into their performances without looking like they're taking a break. I quite agree.

They just need to come back lol

Sui really needs a bionic foot, that's what

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pairs might be my favorite overall discipline. I have a lot of favorite teams, but no debilitating emotional attachments (so I can always calmly watch and enjoy), and the judging is usually fair, too.

You are so lucky..I have a very debilitating emotional attachment to Alexa and Chris. I can't even watch them anymore, I have to peek between my fingers...curse those side by sides...why do they have to be a requirement anyway???:gaah: I propose they be replaced by....another triple twist!:laugh2:

*wraps Alexa and Chris in bubble wrap*...no injuries before Nationals..no injuries...:pray:

rachno2

Record Breaker
You are so lucky..I have a very debilitating emotional attachment to Alexa and Chris. I can't even watch them anymore, I have to peek between my fingers...curse those side by sides...why do they have to be a requirement anyway???:gaah: I propose they be replaced by....another triple twist!:laugh2:

*wraps Alexa and Chris in bubble wrap*...no injuries before Nationals..no injuries...:pray:

I shouldn’t have said that, now I’m going to get emotionally attached to a pair. B/K might be the ones, we’ll see! (Though being attached to Kolyada takes so much energy that I don’t know if I have room in my heart for anybody else)

Poor Alexa and Chris are having a rough time this season. All my college friends fell in love with them when we were watching the Oly team event. But they did well at NHK, so hopefully it’s only up from here!

Boikova and Kozlovskii can be an interesting talent. The guy has too much clunk to his movement at times, and they sometimes present a disconnect to the music, and they both could definitely use more maturity, but there's hope. Just need more time to "settle" into their music, but the grit is there at several points in their programs (although defo not a fan of that SP).

I do like the fact that they aren't exactly forcing the guy to create lines by simply allowing him to break at the knee -- it's perhaps not his talent given his lack of turnout and relative lack of extension (he has long legs, but not exactly great stretch), so good choice, although he could maybe try to hold it with more conviction. Or maybe it's because he's got long limbs that they made this choice so that he doesn't end up cutting her.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I am quite impressed with the improvements that Boikova/Kozlovskii made since their junior days. People unfamiliar should check out their videos from last season. They kept the same free program. You can see the improvements in flow, musicality, and speed. The 'clunk' is much less apparent now. I also like their projection on the ice and they have nice touches in their program. One example is the circular held exit edge after their SBS 3S, which is clever and fitting to The Nutcracker. They are still young and if they can make these improvements in one season, they have a great amount of potential.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Yeah, after the GP, I'd still have S/H at no. 1 despite not having competed yet...pretty disappointing overall. Despite the lack of polish(and in P/K's case, a sorely disappointing FP), I've most been impressed with the young Russian pairs. A bit annoyed most of the experienced seniors haven't taken a greater advantage of a wide open field.

I am quite impressed with the improvements that Boikova/Kozlovskii made since their junior days. People unfamiliar should check out their videos from last season. They kept the same free program. You can see the improvements in flow, musicality, and speed. The 'clunk' is much less apparent now. I also like their projection on the ice and they have nice touches in their program. One example is the circular held exit edge after their SBS 3S, which is clever and fitting to The Nutcracker. They are still young and if they can make these improvements in one season, they have a great amount of potential.

Yep, even from the 16-17 season(when I didn't care for their skating) to last season, I noticed so many improvements despite the rough skates. I just hope they can raise their consistency level. But they are both still teenagers yet, so lots of time as pairs skaters to steadily improve.

rachno2

Record Breaker
After the Grand Prix:

1. Sui / Han--no change, and my earlier point still stands: every competition makes them look better
2. James / Cipres--no change, but they were vulnerable at IdF with a flawed SP and a sloppy FS
3. Tarasova / Morozov--no change, but the gap is closing between them and J/C. I still give the edge to the latter, but I can see gold at GPF going either way
4. Zabiiako / Enbert
5. Yu / Zhang
6. Peng / Jin
7. Della Monica / Guarise
8. Moore-Towers / Marinaro--out of GPF, but more experience and higher scores than P/K
9. Pavliuchenko / Khodykin (+1)--move up due to GPF participation, which gives them the edge on Russian #3 spot, but I don't see them making too much of a splash at GPF to move up internationally. Maybe I'm wrong and they really are the next S/H!
10. Boikova / Kozlovskii (-1)--the door was wide open, and they fell face-down to the ground. Hopefully they leave IdF with some things to be proud of (leading in the short, their first GP medal) and a lot of things to work on before RusNats.
12. Ziegler/Keifer
13. Ryom / Kim (new) - recycled programs are doing them no favors. It’s sad, because I like them
14. Kayne / O’Shea (new)- a good performance at IdF gives them a slight edge on US #2, but they are inconsistent
15. Cain / LeDuc (-2) - losing their grip on US #2
16. Efimova / Korovin (-3)- out of GPF and the prospects for Russian #3 look dim
17. Ruest / Wolfe (new)
18. Hase / Seegert (new)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just looking at that list Pairs has very little depth right now even for a post Olympic year. Hopefully some younger teams are going to rise in the next 4 years because otherwise S/H will have little to no competition. I don't think J/C are going for another 4 years so who's left? T/M?

bobbob

Medalist
Just looking at that list Pairs has very little depth right now even for a post Olympic year. Hopefully some younger teams are going to rise in the next 4 years because otherwise S/H will have little to no competition. I don't think J/C are going for another 4 years so who's left? T/M?

Well, 4 years ago the list had even less depth. It was Duhamel and Radford at number 1, and Stolbova and Klimov at number 2, then a big gap. So I have faith!