Blades Suggestion | Golden Skate

Blades Suggestion

lemonadegarlic

Spectator
Hello everyone, I wana hear your opinion about Blades options I'm about to switch.

I'm currently using Mirage blades which has 8' rocker, I already landed salchow jumps and l plan to upgrade to intermediate blades. People give me some recommendation like MK Pro, Coro Ace, or Legacy, but I think I'm not going with those first two because it has 7' rocker and I already get used with 8'. Apparently intermediate blades that has 8' rocker are from Jackson Ultima and Paramount. Is there any of you have used Ultima Protege or Paramount CP? If yes I wanna hear your opinion regarding those blades. Also about Ultima Protege I cannot find any detail about the spin rocker, so please tell me how it feels like spinning on it. But if you also want to give me another recommendation, you're also welcome.

Sam L

Medalist
I have experience in this and I'm interestd in this topic also. I went from 8' rocker to 7' rocker back in my very early days. I don't like the 7' rocker for spins. I find it harder to find the spin rocker even though it's meant to be easier? I remember in my absolute beginner days it was easier to find the spin rocker with 8'. But I plan to go back to 8' rocker one day - that will be my next blades. I'm on Coronation Ace, you can't go wrong with that for intermediate blades but I haven't used any of the others so I can't comment.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello everyone, I wana hear your opinion about Blades options I'm about to switch.

I'm currently using Mirage blades which has 8' rocker, I already landed salchow jumps and l plan to upgrade to intermediate blades. People give me some recommendation like MK Pro, Coro Ace, or Legacy, but I think I'm not going with those first two because it has 7' rocker and I already get used with 8'. Apparently intermediate blades that has 8' rocker are from Jackson Ultima and Paramount. Is there any of you have used Ultima Protege or Paramount CP? If yes I wanna hear your opinion regarding those blades. Also about Ultima Protege I cannot find any detail about the spin rocker, so please tell me how it feels like spinning on it. But if you also want to give me another recommendation, you're also welcome.

I've worn Matrix Supremes and hated them. Didn't last long in them before I went back to my Gold Seals and then P99s. They were a pain to train in and get sharpened. I also didn't like how hollow they felt (at least to me).

With what you want with rocker size, you are kind of stuck going up to a P99 or Gold Seal with JW. Or Something like the Ultima Matrix, etc.

You also have to look at what blade profile you want and what kind of picks you want (cross cut or straight cut, as well as if you can tolerate large predominant picks which are on some blades like the P99 I wear).

There is alot to consider.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hmm, I think the Protege might have been discontinued - so you might have trouble finding it in your size. I don’t think I’ve talked to anyone that’s used the Protege, but I generally hear good things about Ultima Legacy blades (not the Matrix ones - the regular style). I know a couple folks who recently switched to the Legacy 7 (which has a 7 foot rocker) and love it, so I’d imagine the Legacy 8 (same blade but with an 8 foot rocker) is probably a good blade too.

It seems like folks on the boards here are generally not big fans of the Paramounts - but I don’t know anyone who has used them myself. There’s one skate shop in my city that seems to sell a lot of them, but the other two don’t carry them I think.

lemonadegarlic

Spectator
I have experience in this and I'm interestd in this topic also. I went from 8' rocker to 7' rocker back in my very early days. I don't like the 7' rocker for spins. I find it harder to find the spin rocker even though it's meant to be easier? I remember in my absolute beginner days it was easier to find the spin rocker with 8'. But I plan to go back to 8' rocker one day - that will be my next blades. I'm on Coronation Ace, you can't go wrong with that for intermediate blades but I haven't used any of the others so I can't comment.

Just tried skating on my friend's boots who has Coronation Ace blades on it, and it felt weird especially on spin and turns. I think I'm not going with those blades.

lemonadegarlic

Spectator
Hmm, I think the Protege might have been discontinued - so you might have trouble finding it in your size. I don’t think I’ve talked to anyone that’s used the Protege, but I generally hear good things about Ultima Legacy blades (not the Matrix ones - the regular style). I know a couple folks who recently switched to the Legacy 7 (which has a 7 foot rocker) and love it, so I’d imagine the Legacy 8 (same blade but with an 8 foot rocker) is probably a good blade too.

It seems like folks on the boards here are generally not big fans of the Paramounts - but I don’t know anyone who has used them myself. There’s one skate shop in my city that seems to sell a lot of them, but the other two don’t carry them I think.

Just saw Legacy 8 blades profile on Jackson's official website, but I don't see Ultima Legacy there, there's only Matrix Ultima Legacy. Maybe Legacy 8 is just the replacement of Legacy? Just like Protege that is no longer manufactured.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Just saw Legacy 8 blades profile on Jackson's official website, but I don't see Ultima Legacy there, there's only Matrix Ultima Legacy. Maybe Legacy 8 is just the replacement of Legacy? Just like Protege that is no longer manufactured.

Yeah, the Ultima Legacy used to be just one blade that had a similar spin rocker to the Coro Ace/MK Pro, but with an 8’ main rocker. They just recently started making it with a 7’ main rocker as well, because many people are used to the CA/MK Pro - so now they call them the Legacy 7 and the Legacy 8.

zjamic

Rinkside
I started on 8' rockers and, under suggestion of my coach and my one skate tech, I went to 7' rockers, specifically MK Professionals, because they both thought my transition to the 7' would be easy. However, I was doing/working on doubles, and even a triple here and there (when I was still allowed to do them) I had only ever experienced the 8' rocker and the 7' rocker threw me completely off. My jumps were atrocious, my sad spinning abilities got worse, and the 7' rocker blades were the cause of my injury.

I took the injury as the last straw and got Gold Seal Revs, which I love to death (spins still are a work in progress, but are so much better than the 7'... and are expected to be lacking due to a medical condition).

If you don't like the Coronation Ace, then you will probably not like the Pattern 99s due to the similar rocker shape.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'll say it again, with wanting an 8 foot rocker. Gold Seal or Pattern 99 are your best bets, I have been there done that, skated on them all. Skating as a pro I am still on P99's like I competed in for years, b/c that is my personal choice. Many years ago I tried the MK Phantom's and hated the 7 foot rocker and just the general feel of them, switched back to JW blades and have been happy since.

It is a personal thing, but the JW blades would be the best choice.

Good luck whatever you choose.

ETA: I'm not telling you Coro's are going to be good for you, but I do have to point out that since skating is such a personal feel thing and everything has to be just right, skating them in your friends boots is not going to give you the best idea of what they would really be like for you. Just saying.

Sam L

Medalist
ETA: I'm not telling you Coro's are going to be good for you, but I do have to point out that since skating is such a personal feel thing and everything has to be just right, skating them in your friends boots is not going to give you the best idea of what they would really be like for you. Just saying.

That was what I was going to say. It's about the boot also.

If it helps JW has on their FB page a guide to Coronation Aces transition to Gold Seals and P99. It said that Coro Aces are not single and double jumps and Gold Seals and P99 for triple and quad jumps with Gold Seals being better for spins and P99 being better for jumps. One day I would like to get Gold Seals when I'm ready. Right now, although I hate the 7' rocker compared to the 8' rocker I had before, I love Coro Aces, they just feel so nice and I really believe they are great learning blades. I have way better jumps than spins.

Not sure why JW would say Gold Seals are better for spins and P99 for jumps, Ic3Rabbit, any ideas?

Nimyue

On the Ice
That was what I was going to say. It's about the boot also.

If it helps JW has on their FB page a guide to Coronation Aces transition to Gold Seals and P99. It said that Coro Aces are not single and double jumps and Gold Seals and P99 for triple and quad jumps with Gold Seals being better for spins and P99 being better for jumps. One day I would like to get Gold Seals when I'm ready. Right now, although I hate the 7' rocker compared to the 8' rocker I had before, I love Coro Aces, they just feel so nice and I really believe they are great learning blades. I have way better jumps than spins.

Not sure why JW would say Gold Seals are better for spins and P99 for jumps, Ic3Rabbit, any ideas?

I switched from 8' rocker to a 7' rocker Coro Ace profile, and am now switching to the MK Pro. Switching to the Ace didn't take long to adjust. Switching to the Pro has been more difficult, but this change coincided with boots going a size smaller also, which I think is more of my issue.

You get used to it. I fused around trying something that wasn't JW or MK, and it was a waste of time and money. If you really want a 8' shell out the money and get the P99...

mystery905

Rinkside
I had a used pair of Coronation Aces, then tried Matrix Legacy (8' rocker), then bought a new pair of Legacy 7's which I love to death. Not sure if the rocker profile was seriously worn down on the Coro Aces, but the Legacy 7's are vastly better for me and my coaches noticed an immediate improvement in my skating. The Matrix Legacy was okay, but turns and spins were harder for me with them. With the Legacy 7's I can do triple or even quad 3's.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I would also pay attention to toe pick size as Ic3Rabbit suggested. To be honest at your level that is one of the things I would be most concerned about- people prefer different rocker shapes but by the sound of it you haven't really experienced one vs the other. I know several people who have transitioned from one to the other without trouble and others who had trouble. I think the higher level you are the harder it probably becomes.

(on the toe pick note- when I was a teenager I bought some used skates from another skater in my club whose parents had more money than sense and they had MK Phantoms on them. I cannot count how many times I almost faceplanted due to the too aggressive for my level toe pick. It wasted a lot of time and in the end they were probably a hindrance to my skating. I was much happier when I went with coronation aces when I started skating again as an adult).

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Because of the different spin rockers on each of those blades. Also, the P99 has more aggressive bottom picks (as I posted already a few times in this thread), so that just a few main reasons why.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I would also pay attention to toe pick size as Ic3Rabbit suggested. To be honest at your level that is one of the things I would be most concerned about- people prefer different rocker shapes but by the sound of it you haven't really experienced one vs the other. I know several people who have transitioned from one to the other without trouble and others who had trouble. I think the higher level you are the harder it probably becomes.

(on the toe pick note- when I was a teenager I bought some used skates from another skater in my club whose parents had more money than sense and they had MK Phantoms on them. I cannot count how many times I almost faceplanted due to the too aggressive for my level toe pick. It wasted a lot of time and in the end they were probably a hindrance to my skating. I was much happier when I went with coronation aces when I started skating again as an adult).

Just to answer, it's actually easier to go between different blade sizes, rockers and picks the higher you go in level. ;)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
But I'm still not on high level, I just started learning some singles. Is it okay for me to overblade to advanced level blades? Because I think I can't adapt well with different main rocker (7' in this case), while most intermediate level blades have 8' main rocker.

I understood from the start that you are not high level. And I don't always recommend this to people, but if you really think you aren't going to be able to tolerate switching to the 7 foot rocker then getting a Gold Seal will last you awhile and work. If you take good care of them, that is.

Otherwise, you have the choice to go down to a 7ft rocker and try to learn to deal.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Just because I think it's a great service I always throw out there that Eclipse Blades (Riedell) offer a 60 day no questions asked return policy on their blades. If you want to try a Gold Seal (Eclipse Pinnacle) or Pattern 99 (Eclipse Infinity, with Big Nasty Teeth) profile. Cheaper, not cheap, but like I said you can try them and if they don't work out return them for a refund, once. That would give you a sense if the profile works for you.

That said, my skater went from a Mirage to an Eclipse that was "equivalent to the Coro Ace" then to the genuine Wilson Coro Ace. Once on the Wilson blade she improved dramatically. She's landing 2s and 2t now, soon starting 2Lo and she'll next get the Gold Seal, or the P99 (and knee pads until she gets used to the Big Nasty Teeth).

One caveat since I don't know your age, if you're still growing, don't be in such a hurry to spend $$$ on your blade just yet. My skater got through Lutz on her Mirage blades. We switched because I got a great price on the Eclipse and it was time for a better boot that didn't come with the blade anyway. Our tech even said the next Ultima blade up from Mirage, the Aspire XP, was a really good blade for singles through Axel.

But, if you're all grown up, and have money to get them, the Wilson blades are stunning. Have your skate tech check them very closely, mfg. quality is not consistent with the hand made blades. We returned her first pair of Coro Ace's because of a blunted tooth on the pick.

Good luck. A $100 Aspire XP (if you really think you need a new blade) and $400 in lessons and practice ice is probably a better investment at this stage in my non skater opinion though.

Nimyue

On the Ice
A $100 Aspire XP (if you really think you need a new blade) and $400 in lessons and practice ice is probably a better investment at this stage in my non skater opinion though.

I just want to say the Aspire XP is very very flat. I absolutely hated this blade. I went from an old entry level JW to this blade and it was horrible. I have no idea how anyone spins on it. It was actually pretty great for jumps though. My daughter also had the Aspire XP and had serious trouble spinning. I recently got her some gently used skates that came with JW CA and she could almost instantly spin. She has much less trouble spinning now and her spins have progressed where they had just not been happening at all before.

Sibelius

On the Ice
I just want to say the Aspire XP is very very flat. I absolutely hated this blade. I went from an old entry level JW to this blade and it was horrible. I have no idea how anyone spins on it. It was actually pretty great for jumps though. My daughter also had the Aspire XP and had serious trouble spinning. I recently got her some gently used skates that came with JW CA and she could almost instantly spin. She has much less trouble spinning now and her spins have progressed where they had just not been happening at all before.

Thanks for the 1st hand info on the Aspire XP. They don't specify a spin rocker for it, but the ones I've seen don't look flat. There's also the Legacy 8 which is probably closer to the other intermediate blades for a little more. I know mine did fine on the Mirage, spins and jumps were just fine as a beginner. Yes, once she moved to the Eclipse they were much better, but as far as spending that much on an advanced blade at this stage, well I personally couldn't justify it when when my skater landed her Axel since she'd grow out of it in 6 months. So for the OP I guess it depends on age and available funds. That 8' rocker request is the limiting factor though.