Anyone following Poldark? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Anyone following Poldark?

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Hugh' s love was high-minded, true and well placed; if not for Ross, he and Demelza would l Iikely have chosen each other. And Hugh loved and respected Ross too. One of those attractions under unfortunate circumstances. To compare: Adderley (killed by Ross in a duel), is disingenuous at best, a despicable rake, a cad, the lowest of the low at his very worst. His name is even an allusion to a viper, the adder. Lust was his calling card.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hugh ... yes, maybe he fell in lust for Demelza, but I think his love, and how she responded to him, has as much to do with mental and a sort of spiritual connection. He was able to say things about his love for her that Ross can't or won't say to her; he takes her for granted often. I didn't see Hugh's falling in love with Demelza as stabbing Ross in the back, but you may be right. I may have to re-watch too, to re-think that. I am also in withdrawal right now, with no Masterpiece theater to watch, and Victoria not until January. :drama::dbana:
Well, this is pretty amazing. You wont believe me as I hardly believe myself. I was rewatching season 3 tonight..Using PBS Passport...the important parts, and Here comes Ross back from the cemetary meeting with Elizabeth. And D asked him what he was doing there, the camera goes back to Ross, (no more shots or words from Dem. after this point,) and Ross looks at Dem. and says he just met E at the graveyard and talked with her...he said he kissed her and he realized that they had some thing special once but that he has changed because she, Dem, has changed him, and he realizes how much Dem means to him. Cut. So at this point, my jaw drops, as this is not the scene I remember...then, suddenly, the camera cuts back from the alternative scene I just saw in the broadcast scene where he tells Dem basically nothing. So the producers filmed two scenes. Perhaps they had doubts about which to use. But after seeing both, it is clear it would make D look like a real sleaze if she then goes for that walk with H after Ross tells her yet again about his love for her....I think its a pretty good idea to NOT act on lust. I am also glad Ross apologized for his whatever it was that night when he learned E was going to marry G.

You are not gonna like this but I see things differently now, way differently. Hugh is even more of a cad. True, he is loosing his sight...but going after the wife of a friend who has just saved your life, coupled with Ross going after the French while Hugh just deserted his naval squadron, and Ross not deserting, makes Hugh look really bad. It also makes Hugh look really bad as we see HIM see D happy with Ross and the kids.... While he still makes designs on her body .While one may argue E's reasons for this transgression are much more complex, SHE is not a nice person for not running Ross some slack. Sure he has been busy...the French have been sighted! And everything else he has had to face, But she has no real excuse IMHO. At least she is honest about her lust for Hugh with him. She is not a strong person, after all..but this urge she should have fought, like she fought off the urge to cheat on Ross after he "slept" with E . I cant believe she deserted R in London later..neither are perfect..but I like him better after seeing season 3 again....After now having seen Season 4, I think they did a good job of reconciling everything. As we saw, Ross (again) expresses his feeling for D and what he had for E. And the best part is Hugh dies after D says there will be no more transgressions on the dunes.
FWIW, I didnt see that kiss in the graveyard as any more than saying goodbye. JMHO
(Jane Austen didnt like season 3 either! LOL!)

(I really cant say Ross takes D for granted...true, he is not the worlds best romantic person but after four seasons I have seen lots of romance between them. And it seems he must save England by himself!)

That's my story and I am sticking to it. If nothing else, I have alittle more respect for the screen writers... :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hugh' s love was high-minded, true and well placed; if not for Ross, he and Demelza would l Iikely have chosen each other. And Hugh loved and respected Ross too. One of those attractions under unfortunate circumstances. To compare: Adderley (killed by Ross in a duel), is disingenuous at best, a despicable rake, a cad, the lowest of the low at his very worst. His name is even an allusion to a viper, the adder. Lust was his calling card.

Adderley Killed 5 men in dueling and saw women as sport......lowest of the low. Just about as low as George, but its a tossup.

They say meeting the right person at the wrong time is the cruelist twist of the fates. But were he and D really soul mates? They hardly knew each other....and she was weak and vulnerable.....I still think Hugh is a cad "light." He saw how happy D and R were with the children in a home environment. And how much he was a threat to that. He didnt care about Ross or the kids or even Demelza...he cared about his wanting. I a happen to be a man...I still stick by my guns that he was in lust with her, but if you believe in love at first sight, we can call it love. But the fact remains that Hugh owned his life to R. Hugh deserted his Naval Squadron with the percieved French attack was at hand....Even though Hugh, who doesnt believe in commitment, saw what he was putting D through he still pressed on till he got what he wanted and wanted more in Season 4 and thankfully D shut him down and he thankfully died. Badly done, Hugh. No charactor at all. I also am Glad that D in season 4 said that she was over him, and I believe her....sure, she may have a good memory, if you want to call it that, but she put him in the past.....
(FWIW, if you know the Jane Austen charactor "Willoughby" , Hugh reminds me of him.....From "Sense and Sensibility" Colonel Brandon, a friend of Elinor and Marianne, explains the reason for Willoughby's abrupt change of heart. It turns out that Willoughby had seduced the Colonel's 15-year-old ward, Beth, then abandoned her though she was pregnant.)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
:laugh: yes, George Warleggan is one of the most despicable characters I've read, for all the reasons and more that you said. The moment in Ep. 6 was when E. told him that she was "with child" .. (just love how tender that expression is) ... and in that moment, George transformed. It all came over him, and the actor took time with it, and he said would it not be delightful if they could hope for a girl this time. And Elizabeth's response, you could see a little glimpse of her love for him, once he was her husband.

The only redeeming thing about George, up until that time, was his love for Elizabeth. Too worshipful for my taste, but still. But his love and terrible jealousy also propel his very worst actions, his very worst devilment. So it's that interesting idea, for me, that a person's greatest strength can also be their greatest weakness.

Hugh ... yes, maybe he fell in lust for Demelza, but I think his love, and how she responded to him, has as much to do with mental and a sort of spiritual connection. He was able to say things about his love for her that Ross can't or won't say to her; he takes her for granted often. I didn't see Hugh's falling in love with Demelza as stabbing Ross in the back, but you may be right. I may have to re-watch too, to re-think that. I am also in withdrawal right now, with no Masterpiece theater to watch, and Victoria not until January. :drama::dbana:

I love Victoria! :agree:
BTW, for all those confused about Poldark, here is an interactive timeline, drag it around, up and down, side to side, expand and contract it...it really clears things up. I havent found the death of Hugh yet...
https://time.graphics/line/47881

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Adderley Killed 5 men in dueling and saw women as sport......lowest of the low. Just about as low as George, but its a tossup.

They say meeting the right person at the wrong time is the cruelist twist of the fates. But were he and D really soul mates? They hardly knew each other....and she was weak and vulnerable.....I still think Hugh is a cad "light." He saw how happy D and R were with the children in a home environment. And how much he was a threat to that. He didnt care about Ross or the kids or even Demelza...he cared about his wanting. I a happen to be a man...I still stick by my guns that he was in lust with her, but if you believe in love at first sight, we can call it love. But the fact remains that Hugh owned his life to R. Hugh deserted his Naval Squadron with the percieved French attack was at hand....Even though Hugh, who doesnt believe in commitment, saw what he was putting D through he still pressed on till he got what he wanted and wanted more in Season 4 and thankfully D shut him down and he thankfully died. Badly done, Hugh. No charactor at all. I also am Glad that D in season 4 said that she was over him, and I believe her....sure, she may have a good memory, if you want to call it that, but she put him in the past.....
(FWIW, if you know the Jane Austen charactor "Willoughby" , Hugh reminds me of him.....From "Sense and Sensibility" Colonel Brandon, a friend of Elinor and Marianne, explains the reason for Willoughby's abrupt change of heart. It turns out that Willoughby had seduced the Colonel's 15-year-old ward, Beth, then abandoned her though she was pregnant.)

OMG!!!
:biggrin: Nope! We agree to disagree on said points. . Hugh is nothing like Willoughby IMHO.. Those who do not believe in "love at first sight" must, of necessity, take a negative stance. [Sniff...] I do believe that is what happened between D and H.. and he died tragically.. one can love two people at the same time (as Ross demonstrated...) as for "love at first sight".. an enchanting story, A Winter's Tale is all about that very thing...:luv17: now back to skating... lord, my head is spinning...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OMG!!!
:biggrin: Nope! We agree to disagree on said points. . Hugh is nothing like Willoughby IMHO.. Those who do not believe in "love at first sight" must, of necessity, take a negative stance. [Sniff...] I do believe that is what happened between D and H.. and he died tragically.. one can love two people at the same time (as Ross demonstrated...) as for "love at first sight".. an enchanting story, A Winter's Tale is all about that very thing...:luv17: now back to skating... lord, my head is spinning...

Yes, we will agree to disagree....but Hey, we actually agree on something! :thumbsup: Yes, you can love two people at once and to different degrees...you just dont act upon it...at least I dont but yes, 50 percent of people do. Actually, men do fall pretty fast for women, for better or worse...I fell fast for my wife of 34 years.....and forsook all others all these decades...and she is darned lucky to have me. :biggrin:
As for Willoughby, he did have feeling for Marianne and regretted what he then had to do...marry for money....as she would not have HIM! She had charactor. He did not...
elbkup, stay away from the Poldark forums! I do not tread there...for if you do, abandon all hope of civility...
Winter is coming, and happy endings , I hope. Bring on the GPF!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Read the books and saw the original series with Robin Ellis years ago. Watching this one off and on because I kinda know the storyline so no surprises.. Elinor Tomlinson and Aiden Turner are really fine in their respective roles but there is some fine acting in the smaller parts ... Prudy (Poldark's housekeeper/nanny) is funny and touching and a good example..

Have you seen pics of the actress who plays Prudie in 1983 when she was the heart throb on "The Highlander?" :love::love::love:

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Have you seen pics of the actress who plays Prudie in 1983 when she was the heart throb on "The Highlander?" :love::love::love:

Oh yes!! She was a beauty and looks wonderful even today.. i.e. she cleans up well.. has a great career now and ahead as a character actress. She currently is the Mum in The Coroner series.. those early Poldark scenes with her drunken lout of a husband were hilarious, especially the one where he dies then is resurrected..:laugh2:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Poldark and this thread has been so great to read. I didn't watch the finale, thinking next season they would run the whole previous season as they have done before. So many characters to love & hate like the preacher man who destroyed a young women's life.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Victoria! :agree:
BTW, for all those confused about Poldark, here is an interactive timeline, drag it around, up and down, side to side, expand and contract it...it really clears things up. I havent found the death of Hugh yet...
https://time.graphics/line/47881

We'll agree to disagree about Hugh ... he's nothing like Willoughby in my view, either. After reading your summary of Hugh's actions, I just think we see him differently, but I don't recall season 3 in enough detail to say exactly why. The timeline didn't mention Hugh's actions,... but I may not have figured out how to use it optimally.

When Demelza had the chance to get back at Ross for his indiscretion with Elizabeth, she saw things clearly, consulted her heart, and decided against such an act for the purposes of revenge. That, to me, draws a trueline contrast: she had real feelings for Hugh. She knew the difference. The way I see Ross and Demelza is that it's not just about their behavior. They see their own and each other's behavior as following their feelings, their passion, and their true heart; it isn't about just lust. So then Ross tells Demelza that she's changed him, that his passion for E. lies in the past, it's about who is his real soul mate. And Demelza is drawn to Hugh for different reasons; but in the end it's Ross who's her real soul mate as well. They know this about each other, but they're also not perfect.

Demelza leaving London is a direct result of Ross not seeing or interpreting her clearly, because of his jealousy. He doesn't put himself in her place, to know that she was trying to behave as the wife of a MP, trying to be gracious, trying to act as Ross would want her to. And Adderly recognized her innocence, misleading her about what was considered okay behavior in London.

2 So Victoria. I think it's wonderful how this series has taken the familiar, old Victoria and used her actual diaries and letters to show a quite different picture. I love Victoria and Albert both. I also think one of the most telling lines in the whole show so far was early on, when Lord Melbourne says to a friend about Victoria, "she's completely artless." Meaning she had no guile; and unlike the whole court at that time, she didn't say things to manipulate the others. She had power, she decided to use it, and she was straightforward about it. More honest than anyone in that "world" at the time. And Albert had an aversion to dishonesty and manipulation, flirtation, etc. So they were alike and had that in common as a life principle.

If I have time, I may re-watch before the next season starts. It would be fun to talk about the new season, come middle of January.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Poldark and this thread has been so great to read. I didn't watch the finale, thinking next season they would run the whole previous season as they have done before. So many characters to love & hate like the preacher man who destroyed a young women's life.

Yeah, he's one of the most despicable characters (and horribly unattractive to boot!) So far, anyway. One of the worst things E. did was to go along with George's scheme to force Morwenna to marry that creep.

Still, I have to admit that although I'm glad Morwenna and Drake are happy (for the time being), I like Rosina very much, maybe more. I hope the screenwriter has something good in mind for her, but we may never hear more about her. I haven't read the books, and I'm glad; I like the surprises.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Exactly...people we love to hate! George, of course, and his henchman who does his dirty work, along with that deep voiced advisor, who ever his is, the duelist (way to go, Ross!) , and the preacher for sure....and i still hate Willoughby and a certain charactor from Pride and Prejudice....but so many people to pull for!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
We'll agree to disagree about Hugh ... he's nothing like Willoughby in my view, either. After reading your summary of Hugh's actions, I just think we see him differently, but I don't recall season 3 in enough detail to say exactly why. The timeline didn't mention Hugh's actions,... but I may not have figured out how to use it optimally.

When Demelza had the chance to get back at Ross for his indiscretion with Elizabeth, she saw things clearly, consulted her heart, and decided against such an act for the purposes of revenge. That, to me, draws a trueline contrast: she had real feelings for Hugh. She knew the difference. The way I see Ross and Demelza is that it's not just about their behavior. They see their own and each other's behavior as following their feelings, their passion, and their true heart; it isn't about just lust. So then Ross tells Demelza that she's changed him, that his passion for E. lies in the past, it's about who is his real soul mate. And Demelza is drawn to Hugh for different reasons; but in the end it's Ross who's her real soul mate as well. They know this about each other, but they're also not perfect.

Demelza leaving London is a direct result of Ross not seeing or interpreting her clearly, because of his jealousy. He doesn't put himself in her place, to know that she was trying to behave as the wife of a MP, trying to be gracious, trying to act as Ross would want her to. And Adderly recognized her innocence, misleading her about what was considered okay behavior in London.

2 So Victoria. I think it's wonderful how this series has taken the familiar, old Victoria and used her actual diaries and letters to show a quite different picture. I love Victoria and Albert both. I also think one of the most telling lines in the whole show so far was early on, when Lord Melbourne says to a friend about Victoria, "she's completely artless." Meaning she had no guile; and unlike the whole court at that time, she didn't say things to manipulate the others. She had power, she decided to use it, and she was straightforward about it. More honest than anyone in that "world" at the time. And Albert had an aversion to dishonesty and manipulation, flirtation, etc. So they were alike and had that in common as a life principle.

If I have time, I may re-watch before the next season starts. It would be fun to talk about the new season, come middle of January.

Very well put! I wanted to strangle Ross for his bumbling ways and not understanding that D really DIDNT know how to act in London and you could read that in her face...But I also think Ross believed that she DID know how to act around agressive men and wasnt doing HER part....he was blind....And I am glad Ross and D had "the talk" and she knew that she never loved Hugh, he just touched her heart...and she let it go.
Victoria has been great so far....she had an almost unbelievable life, as did her offspring....I kind of like Queen E. also.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Eleanor Tomlinson alert ... I re-watched a favorite of mine a few weeks ago: The Illusionist, starring Edward Norton, who's just perfect. And Eleanor played the 14 or 15 year old version of Jessica Biel's character. She was splendid in the part, showed such a bright, shining innocent young quality.

Paul Giamatti is also perfect as the Chief police Inspector. And HEY! A Victoria connection: another favorite of mine, Rufus Sewell, who played Lord Melbourne in Victoria, plays the Crown Prince in The Illusionist.

For anyone who loves historical fiction, this movie paints a gorgeous picture of Vienna and 19th century Austrian Empire.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
^^^ Love "The Illusionist" and was aware of Elinor Tomlinson in it... she is also in a Poirot episode titled "The Labours of Hercules" in a very surprising role...:shocked:

If you like Rufus Sewell, you might enjoy this five-minute vignette from "Paris je t'aime", a series of short stories, each from a different director, that are love letters to the great city. Mr Sewell appears with Emily Mortimer in "Pere-Lachaise" directed by Wes Craven... lovely!!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nvq2dF6Mj1o&t=0s&list=PLGchoeptXkxBejfBTrAE9tSsta6pCLFuI&index=2

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Eleanor Tomlinson alert ... I re-watched a favorite of mine a few weeks ago: The Illusionist, starring Edward Norton, who's just perfect. And Eleanor played the 14 or 15 year old version of Jessica Biel's character. She was splendid in the part, showed such a bright, shining innocent young quality.

Paul Giamatti is also perfect as the Chief police Inspector. And HEY! A Victoria connection: another favorite of mine, Rufus Sewell, who played Lord Melbourne in Victoria, plays the Crown Prince in The Illusionist.

For anyone who loves historical fiction, this movie paints a gorgeous picture of Vienna and 19th century Austrian Empire.

Thanks! Justed watched some previews and ordered the DVD for $3.34 delivered....
Chris the Austro-Hungarian