Anyone following Poldark? | Golden Skate

Anyone following Poldark?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I havent see the season finale yet...tonight....I keep hoping for a Jane Austen/Downton abby ending but I think I am in for a big disappointment.
I predict that George will have Ross brought up on murder charges, E. looses the baby, Demelza will find another lover or George will have her "attacked" or Blackmailed into a relationship, and who knows what will happen to Dwight, the only likeable charactor....
I am gonna jump out of my first floor window! :disapp:

If I was Ross Poldark, I would have stayed home with D and the kids and E wouldnt have gotten "with child" with the shaggy haired kid! :agree:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Arrrgggghhhhhhh....there I was, just about the end of the season finale, and Ross says to Dem, "If Hugh had lived, I would always wonder if you would have preferred to be with him." And what are the odds? Dem's response is garbled!
My wife couldnt even decipher what she said! :eek:hwell:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Ooo, I have not heard of this show, but now I shall put it on my watch list! I did love Downton Abbey, plus I thoroughly enjoyed Eleanor Tomlinson in The White Queen :luv17:

Ded Moroz

LADIES QUAD CLUB
On the Ice
Country
United-Nations
Arrrgggghhhhhhh....there I was, just about the end of the season finale, and Ross says to Dem, "If Hugh had lived, I would always wonder if you would have preferred to be with him." And what are the odds? Dem's response is garbled!
My wife couldnt even decipher what she said! :eek:hwell:

I don't know if it is exactly the line you are looking for, but near the very end, on the beach, she said, "Hugh touched my heart, but you own it".

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Read the books and saw the original series with Robin Ellis years ago. Watching this one off and on because I kinda know the storyline so no surprises.. Elinor Tomlinson and Aiden Turner are really fine in their respective roles but there is some fine acting in the smaller parts ... Prudy (Poldark's housekeeper/nanny) is funny and touching and a good example..

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ooo, I have not heard of this show, but now I shall put it on my watch list! I did love Downton Abbey, plus I thoroughly enjoyed Eleanor Tomlinson in The White Queen :luv17:

She is truly versatile. . Worth checking out an episode of the Hercule Poirot series called 'The Labours of Hercules"... it holds a big surprise..

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

satine, run while you sill can! If you are a romantic your heart will not be able to withstand the jerking around....:palmf:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I don't know if it is exactly the line you are looking for, but near the very end, on the beach, she said, "Hugh touched my heart, but you own it".

Yes, I got that line..they were dressed for that scene..This is the scene where they are sitting up in bed and she is resting in the crook of his arm against him...he talks about having messed up their London experience and she agrees...then he talks about having killed a man (the wrong man in his mind) and then wonders who she would favor it Hugh were still alive? She mumbles something about knowing her, etc...
Since I am a PBS supporter, I get access to PBS "Passport" where I can watch episodes on line. They MAY have closed caption so there might be hope. Its tough being a romantic!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Read the books and saw the original series with Robin Ellis years ago. Watching this one off and on because I kinda know the storyline so no surprises.. Elinor Tomlinson and Aiden Turner are really fine in their respective roles but there is some fine acting in the smaller parts ... Prudy (Poldark's housekeeper/nanny) is funny and touching and a good example..

The acting IS quality as is the new PBS /BBC norm. I have the complete set of the BBC Jane Austen series FROM THE 1970S. Wow, what a differnece. Acting is still pretty good but the cinematography leaves much to be desired...in one scene, the charactors are walking past cement tank traps left over from WWII when England thought it was going to be invaded....I will say this, the DVDs from the 1970s did follow the books pretty closely....

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Regarding Prudy in my previous post... one scene with her (of many) made me belly laugh:
Demelza is away for one reason or another so Prudy is left to cook meals for Ross; he comes home looking for supper and Prudy slaps a burnt, round pizza pie looking thing down on the table.
ROSS: What's that?
PRUDY: Dinner.
ROSS: Looks more like something for Gareth (the dog).
PRUDY: Since Mrs. Poldark does all the cooking, I have lost my skillage!!
ROSS: (Rolls eyes...) Bring me something else!! :biggrin:

Ded Moroz

LADIES QUAD CLUB
On the Ice
Country
United-Nations
CC: Hope the passport has CC. I can't remember what she said in bed.
"Judas!", Ross was dismally dense regarding the nature of her relationship with Hugh. I doubt he'll ever really understand. He's of the sword, not the pen.

Elb: Impressed you read the books. The actor who played the part of Ross in the '70s spoke about that production in a 'behind the scenes' a season or two ago. I want to watch that when I'm old.

'Poldark will return'

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
"Judas!", Ross was dismally dense regarding the nature of her relationship with Hugh. I doubt he'll ever really understand. He's of the sword, not the pen.

Elb: Impressed you read the books. The actor who played the part of Ross in the 70s spoke about that production in a 'behind the scenes' a season or two ago. I want to watch that when I'm old.

'Poldark will return'

:biggrin::biggrin: by the time you are "old" there will probably be a third version!!! :biggrin:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Elb: Impressed you read the books. The actor who played the part of Ross in the 70s spoke about that production in a 'behind the scenes' a season or two ago. I want to watch that when I'm old.

'Poldark will return'

I think we see Ross and Dem's actions through our own "filters".

In my humble opinion,and my filter, Ross and Dem dont seem to act like "normal" people as their actions are contrived for the emotions and plots the writers want. I find it tough to swallow that after everything that Ross and Dem had been through, he slept with E after hearing she would marry George. I find it tough to swallow that much later Dem would sleep with Hugh because he "touched her heart" and is much better at that than Clumbsy Ross is. I also find it hard to believe that Hugh would covet his friend's (relatives?) wife like that....Remember that Ross also saved Dem's brother's life at the gallows?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Regarding Prudy in my previous post... one scene with her (of many) made me belly laugh:
Demelza is away for one reason or another so Prudy is left to cook meals for Ross; he comes home looking for supper and Prudy slaps a burnt, round pizza pie looking thing down on the table.
ROSS: What's that?
PRUDY: Dinner.
ROSS: Looks more like something for Gareth (the dog).
PRUDY: Since Mrs. Poldark does all the cooking, I have lost my skillage!!
ROSS: (Rolls eyes...) Bring me something else!! :biggrin:

Hah! It worked....its being streamed for free so I didnt even need my password! Its at the 37 min point and Ross, after "cuddling" with his wife, has just apologized for his behavior in London (not helping his wife out at the party) and she apologized for leaving him and going back to Cornwall. He asked her if Hugh were still alive if she would prefer him (she had said in the past she would not) and she says "Do you understand me so little that you seriously ask me that?" Tenderness follows. The other scene alluded to is after E dies and R and D are talking and he says he now thinks he knows how she felt when Hugh died. He tells her his biggest fear would be if she (Dem) were laying there dead and HE had to face life without her....hopefully he cleans up his act cause I think the new season starts 10 years in the future.....these people will be approaching 50! ;)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’ve seen the Robin Ellis/Angharad Rees in a bad red wig version at least three times (we own Poldark I and II on tape) and the current Aidan Turner/Eleonor Tomlinson version except for the season on now (we cut the cord, it needs to come to Amazon Prime).

Fun Fact: my maternal grandfather’s parents emigrated from Illogan (or “Luggin” as it is pronounced in the show, and for all I know probably now), the ancestral home of “Demelzer” and her family. And they were iron miners, here and in England. No dreamy landed gentry, however:laugh:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I havent see the season finale yet...tonight....I keep hoping for a Jane Austen/Downton abby ending but I think I am in for a big disappointment.
I predict that George will have Ross brought up on murder charges, E. looses the baby, Demelza will find another lover or George will have her "attacked" or Blackmailed into a relationship, and who knows what will happen to Dwight, the only likeable charactor....
I am gonna jump out of my first floor window! :disapp:

If I was Ross Poldark, I would have stayed home with D and the kids and E wouldnt have gotten "with child" with the shaggy haired kid! :agree:

I just now saw this thread. I laughed when I read your Season Finale predictions.

I love the series. One of my favorite things about it is how Cornwall is like a character in the show. I absolutely adore the many shots of the crags, sand, hills ... and all Ross's horseback rides on the coast.

I'm obsessed with Aiden Turner and Eleanor Tomlinson in these roles. And I still find their characters quite romantic ... while also not shying away from how leaving gaps in a relationship can make a mate's heart vulnerable to another.

I was absolutely shocked at the end of the last episode. I haven't read the books, nor have I watched the earlier series.

This season, I was getting discouraged with how the plotlines started repeating, reminding me a little of soap operas. But then, a surprising thing happened. In episode 6, I think, I actually liked George for about a minute and a half. Now, I'm more impressed with that actor. It showed a glimpse of possibility that he might be seen as a little more of a complex "villain." I mean, I know he's wounded, but up till then it didn't make me warm up to him at all.

I do love Dwight Enys, or "Dr. Enys," as Caroline calls him. I also liked Hugh a lot. Another reason I was unhappy with this season.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I just now saw this thread. I laughed when I read your Season Finale predictions.

I love the series. One of my favorite things about it is how Cornwall is like a character in the show. I absolutely adore the many shots of the crags, sand, hills ... and all Ross's horseback rides on the coast.

I'm obsessed with Aiden Turner and Eleanor Tomlinson in these roles. And I still find their characters quite romantic ... while also not shying away from how leaving gaps in a relationship can make a mate's heart vulnerable to another.

I was absolutely shocked at the end of the last episode. I haven't read the books, nor have I watched the earlier series.

This season, I was getting discouraged with how the plotlines started repeating, reminding me a little of soap operas. But then, a surprising thing happened. In episode 6, I think, I actually liked George for about a minute and a half. Now, I'm more impressed with that actor. It showed a glimpse of possibility that he might be seen as a little more of a complex "villain." I mean, I know he's wounded, but up till then it didn't make me warm up to him at all.

I do love Dwight Enys, or "Dr. Enys," as Caroline calls him. I also liked Hugh a lot. Another reason I was unhappy with this season.
How could you like George for that long? He pays people to beat up other people and burn down black smith shops. He likes to see people hang.
Dwight is the only really lovable person on the show...or should I say pure....
I think next season will be more interesting as there reportadly is a time gap.
I am now going to have to go back and watch season 3. You and another person on this forum like Hugh. Since I dont know anything about him after he got out of prison, all I know is he fell in lust with D., the wife of a good friend, who BTW saved the lives of her brothers, and stabbed him in the back.....must be something I am missing! Like Season 3. ;)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How could you like George for that long? He pays people to beat up other people and burn down black smith shops. He likes to see people hang.
Dwight is the only really lovable person on the show...or should I say pure....
I think next season will be more interesting as there reportadly is a time gap.
I am now going to have to go back and watch season 3. You and another person on this forum like Hugh. Since I dont know anything about him after he got out of prison, all I know is he fell in lust with D., the wife of a good friend, who BTW saved the lives of her brothers, and stabbed him in the back.....must be something I am missing! Like Season 3. ;)

:laugh: yes, George Warleggan is one of the most despicable characters I've read, for all the reasons and more that you said. The moment in Ep. 6 was when E. told him that she was "with child" .. (just love how tender that expression is) ... and in that moment, George transformed. It all came over him, and the actor took time with it, and he said would it not be delightful if they could hope for a girl this time. And Elizabeth's response, you could see a little glimpse of her love for him, once he was her husband.

The only redeeming thing about George, up until that time, was his love for Elizabeth. Too worshipful for my taste, but still. But his love and terrible jealousy also propel his very worst actions, his very worst devilment. So it's that interesting idea, for me, that a person's greatest strength can also be their greatest weakness.

Hugh ... yes, maybe he fell in lust for Demelza, but I think his love, and how she responded to him, has as much to do with mental and a sort of spiritual connection. He was able to say things about his love for her that Ross can't or won't say to her; he takes her for granted often. I didn't see Hugh's falling in love with Demelza as stabbing Ross in the back, but you may be right. I may have to re-watch too, to re-think that. I am also in withdrawal right now, with no Masterpiece theater to watch, and Victoria not until January. :drama::dbana: