Adam Rippon officially retires | Golden Skate

Adam Rippon officially retires

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Good luck to Adam in his future endeavours! He brought us some wonderful skating, but most importantly some serious character and sass on ice, he'll be missed. Good thing he retires with an olympic medal, hopefully he is happy with his career. :)

andromache

Record Breaker
Sad but expected. He brought something special to the sport and is a great role model.

Obligatory "I wish there was a pro circuit."

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
Didn't he choreograph Mariah Bell's Celine Dion SP this year? She seems to really love skating that program. Maybe we'll see a lot more choreography from Adam in the future? Skaters really need programs that they love to skate.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Didn't he choreograph Mariah Bell's Celine Dion SP this year? She seems to really love skating that program. Maybe we'll see a lot more choreography from Adam in the future? Skaters really need programs that they love to skate.

Yes, he's choreographed competitive programs for Mirai Nagasu as well as him self in the past.

He really did a good job with his Birds LP last season. One of the more interesting programs last season. Good luck to him.

RobinA

On the Ice
Too bad. I like him on ice more than off ice.

I did too. I loved him when he first showed up with his curly hair and elegant programs. Unfortunately, the quad tripped him up and we never really got to see him develop fully at what he was good at. Pro circuit and all that...

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I remember him at 16 with the mop of beautiful curls and Scott saying “ he skates like he has been on the scene ten years.” But really these announcements are not timely however I guess they give closure to him and all us fans. He has been very interesting to watch.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh wow...how did I miss this announcement? Not surprising but still a big loss for the sport. Well..the competitive side. I think we’ll still be seeing plenty of Adam whether as choreographer, coach, or eventual broadcaster.

Good luck with whatever comes next and thanks for all the years of hard work :thank:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Wishing Adam best of luck in his future endeavors. He has had a long career capped off by making the Olympic Team and winning a
Team Medal. He will be missed, sigh another "end of an era" for me. :(

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wish him well. Such a fun personality and his skating was wonderful. He had a lovely sense of presence on the ice even without a quad. Good for him. I would love to see him maybe replace Johnny Weir as a commentator or he seems to an interesting personality for like a kid show - I saw him on some sesame street thing and he was great with the kids.

It is odd I was googling Adam the other day because I hadn't heard much about him and then this. It is too bad there is n't any shows or pro circuit skating. But I would love to see if he choreographs or what I just don't know how many coaches, choreographers, commentators or show skaters we need out there. It may be just me but with the demise of the pro circuit we see more top skaters coaching and choreographying. Not everyone can be a Brian Orser or Sandra Bezic or get super lucky like Johnny Weir (remember his ibiggest claim is a world bronze and that was some time ago.) Tara at least has OGM and WGM.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I understand where folks are coming from with the pro circuit comments.

I liked curly blond hair Adam, (that Liszt!) I liked Disco Diva Adam and I :luv17: Adam’s personality and activism off the ice.

But I will be honest, I don’t think *Adam* misses the pro circuit. He has opportunities off the ice that most skaters in the US will never have, and he is going forward, and not wistfully looking back at the rink.

In fact, he had a typical funny Adam comment on Twitter (paraphrasing) “For those of you who thought I was going to continue competing after the Olympics, I will have a drink for you because you are crazy out of your mind with optimism and I love you” :laugh: (on my mobile, can’t copy and link)

All the best as he moves forward with his new adventures :hap10:

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Now as a judge for Dance with the Stars Junior and appears on national TV every week, he has found a successful career outside of figure skating. That's one of the best outcomes a retired figure skater can ask for. I don't know why you guys are sad.

noskates

Record Breaker
I will miss Adam. His programs were always interesting. I also remember him years ago with those loverly curls. I think he got as much out of figure skating as he could and I wish him nothing but the best of luck for his future. I met him at the afterparty at Nationals and he's a sweetheart. He made time for anyone who wanted to talk to him and patiently posed while many pictures and selfies were taken.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
That note to himself is so much cringe.