Stanislava Konstantinova: ‘Focus on the positive’ | Golden Skate

Stanislava Konstantinova: ‘Focus on the positive’

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia’s Stanislava Konstantinova started her first full senior season with a bang when she took silver in her first Grand Prix in Helsinki earlier this month. That was a big step forward for the 18-year-old skater that has already seen some ups and downs in her career.

More...

The most important thing is probably not to pay too much attention to failures and focus on the positive. For example, before when I did ten great jumps (in training) and one bad attempt, then I would remember the bad one. I left the practice not thinking ‘wow, I did ten great attempts, well done’, but I was thinking ‘this one attempt, how could that be?’ Now I’m trying more to think about the positive things, I’m trying not to scold myself for little failures.

Good advice! What are your thoughts on this on her programs this season? Looking forward to seeing her perform in Grenoble!

lavoix

Match Penalty
I just think there are better skaters than her.

She's a stunningly beautiful girl, but her meltdowns in competitions in the last 2 seasons kinda me get over her. There are more deserving skaters than her who can be on the world stage (Gubanova, for example).

Nonetheless, I do wish her the best of luck, I realise she doesn't have it easy.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Everything is in her words. "I kind of live in the music for those four minutes." That's why she's already known as an expressive skater. Also, she's discovered that she does better when she focuses on what she did well rather than scolding herself. All that, and most importantly, work well, take care of herself. She's a lovely skater, one I'm looking forward to seeing more of.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you for this article, GS! I’m glad to see she put the trauma of last season’s Worlds behind her. I think she’s a lovely skater and hope she has a successful season.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
She caught my eye three years ago with her Cirque du Soleil program. There was something special about her that keeps me watching even when her jumps or even spins were not really there. It seems she has since grown much taller. Now I hope she can limit her arm/hand movement because at times it looks too busy and over-expressive.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Huge fan of most of her short programs: she has that very aggressive and dramatic russian style of skating, but at the same time she is also very expressive on the ice. Perfect skater for big classical pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieKfaluhHlQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2bmjZcyVh4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QrJlN15Ya0

I hope she will medal in France.

I just think there are better skaters than her.

She's a stunningly beautiful girl, but her meltdowns in competitions in the last 2 seasons kinda me get over her. There are more deserving skaters than her who can be on the world stage (Gubanova, for example).

Nonetheless, I do wish her the best of luck, I realise she doesn't have it easy.

Disagree on Gubanova (her spins are worse now, and some of her jumps are UR similar to Stasya), I think they are comparable, but Stasya placed higher at Nationals both seniors and juniors so she has this chance now. (plus she is older)

lavoix

Match Penalty
Huge fan of most of her short programs: she has that very aggressive and dramatic russian style of skating, but at the same time she is also very expressive on the ice. Perfect skater for big classical pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieKfaluhHlQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2bmjZcyVh4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QrJlN15Ya0

I hope she will medal in France.

Disagree on Gubanova (her spins are worse now, and some of her jumps are UR similar to Stasya), I think they are comparable, but Stasya placed higher at Nationals both seniors and juniors so she has this chance now. (plus she is older)

Ummm did you watch her SP in France?

theharleyquinn

Medalist
She along with Eunsoo have a really mature presence on the ice for it being their first year on seniors. Even with her mistakes in the SP in France, I thought she had some of the best performance quality of the event. It was a real improvement over Helsinki.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Ummm did you watch her SP in France?

Yes, obviously she has no chances to medal now. lol

I thought her jumps were getting better compared to last season, performances were improving this season, this is a step back. Hope she can redeem herself in the free at least.

About Gubanova i still wonder if she would have been good with Buyanova with 2 GP spots locked, cause she had a lot to prove this season to even earn a spot for Nationals, while all her teammates from the same club who all had their international events, are struggling so bad.

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
She along with Eunsoo have a really mature presence on the ice for it being their first year on seniors. Even with her mistakes in the SP in France, I thought she had some of the best performance quality of the event. It was a real improvement over Helsinki.

Konstantinova stayed junior longer than her compatriots though, she's only less than a year younger than Evgenia Medvedeva, older than Zagitova.

moriel

Record Breaker

I thought her jumps were getting better compared to last season, performances were improving this season, this is a step back. Hope she can redeem herself in the free at least.

About Gubanova i still wonder if she would have been good with Buyanova with 2 GP spots locked, cause she had a lot to prove this season to even earn a spot for Nationals, while all her teammates from the same club who all had their international events, are struggling so bad.

Considering how reluctant everybody was to win today, i suppose anything can happen in FS.

lavoix

Match Penalty

Gubanova may not be the same as she was in juniors (loved her back then), however Buyanova seems to have been working on her weaker points. Her PCS is still too low for my liking, but it's getting there. I think the Russian fed should focus on her more next season rather than Konstantinova or the entire Buyanova team.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
She didn't medal (as expected) but she definitely showed she is improving, jumps looked better and cleaner here in France.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Stasya is growing on me. She is a charming skater, and I do see the improvements. She looked so upset after her SP, so to see her bounce back and do wonderfully in the FS was one of my favorite moments of an otherwise kind of disappointing ToF.

pandatours

On the Ice
She admitted in an interview that she works with a sports psychologist and I nearly spat out my tea that a Russian skater would talk about it and that her coaches encouraged it! I think she has a lot of potential and I like that she is working on all aspects of her skating. The Russian field is very crowded but we’ll see

Tatjana

On the Ice
She admitted in an interview that she works with a sports psychologist and I nearly spat out my tea that a Russian skater would talk about it and that her coaches encouraged it! I think she has a lot of potential and I like that she is working on all aspects of her skating. The Russian field is very crowded but we’ll see

Stasia never made a secret out of the fact that she and other skaters of her training group are working with a sports psychologist. She thinks it really helps her. She has a bit of a short program problem, though. Hopefully she can fix it soon. I think it is more mental than anything. She said in France that she was really well prepared, she wanted to fight for that spot in the Grand Prix Final. She had worked very hard after Helsinki and she was very motivated. Too bad she messed up the short.