Difficult Combinations | Golden Skate

Difficult Combinations

doublequad

On the Ice
Given that Yuzuru did a 4T-3A SEQ do you think it's possible to do a quad-quad combo? Or even a triple-quad combo - maybe 3A-4T or 3Lz-4T

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
Shoma has already done a 3A-4T in practice before.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Shoma has already done a 3A-4T in practice before.

This, to me, is the hardest combo ever executed. Not in competition so it's not official, but it was actually cleanly done and shown to be possible.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y6gmTT8rDUk

Also impressed by Dimitriev's 3Z+3F - something I didn't even conceive could be included on a protocol. And ratified, let alone executed.

Other hard combinations:
Chen/Jin/Zhou: 4Z+3T
Chen/Zhou/Uno: 4F+3T
Sadovsky: 4S+Eu+3S
Hanyu: 4T+Eu+3S
Uno/Plushenko: 3A+Eu+3F
Plushenko: 4T+3T+3L
Trusova: 4T+3T
Kihira: 3A+3T

bennorii

On the Ice
-3Lo combos are relatively hard because of the precise momentum required. You only get one chance to go up.

Shanshani

On the Ice
According to Brian Orser, Yuzuru has done 4T-4T-4T in practice (original interview, fan translation).

I suspect we won't be seeing 4T+4T in competition any time soon though, since it's not really worth it...then again you might say the same about 4T+3A, so who knows.

lzxnl

Final Flight
According to Brian Orser, Yuzuru has done 4T-4T-4T in practice (original interview, fan translation).

I suspect we won't be seeing 4T+4T in competition any time soon though, since it's not really worth it...then again you might say the same about 4T+3A, so who knows.

New layout for Yuzu:
4T-4T
4Lo
4S
3A-Eu-3S
3F
3A-3T
3Lo

Less quad jumping passes vs can you land the second quad cleanly
Could consider doing 4S-4T for novelty instead (his 4S and 4T are at equivalent god-like levels; wouldn't be surprised if he could both)

Arbitrary

Medalist
Trusova and Shcherbakova demoed 4Lz+3T combo. It may be considered a difficult combi fir ladies.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
In the lead up to Vancouver (I think), Plushy did practice at 3A-4T combo, obviously he couldn't get it down, but it looked pretty cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0NJO6Pw1pI

I was somewhat surprised that Yuzu didn't go for that, but I guess getting the momentum for the quad after the 3A is hard.

Canadianskatingfan

On the Ice

I’m sorry but I don’t think a 4T-4T-4T is even possible at this point, the amount of speed you would have to maintain throughout the jumps is very high and this combination seems nearly impossible. Sometimes Yuzuru struggles to get the 3T done on the 4T in competition.

lzxnl

Final Flight
I’m sorry but I don’t think a 4T-4T-4T is even possible at this point, the amount of speed you would have to maintain throughout the jumps is very high and this combination seems nearly impossible. Sometimes Yuzuru struggles to get the 3T done on the 4T in competition.

And sometimes, his 4T looks marvellous. We can't deny that Yuzu's 4T is one of the best in the business. Orser only said that Yuzu has done 3×4T, no indication of the success rate (probably quite low)

ankifeather

Final Flight

It's not impossible if you are doing it in a stress free environment just having fun as Orser say he is doing. There is difference between what skaters can do in training/practice and in actual competition. During the open practices Hanyu jumps solo 4T-3Ts and 4T-3As effortlessly. And in competition, he is jumping the 4T-3T as last jump of SP in second half for the 10% bonus (which other man don't dare to because if you stuff-up you are doomed), meaning he has huge mental pressure and fatigue going into it.

And there is practice footage of him doing the 4Lz-3T from last year but given his injury he is unlikely to debut this combo now.

Shanshani

On the Ice

...why would Brian Orser randomly lie about this?

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Shoma's 3A4T and Yuzuru's 2S-1lo-4S in practice have been some of the most interesting combos I've seen lately. 4T3A is also quite difficult. And kudos to Dmitriev for coming up with 3Lz3F, which may not look like the prettiest of combos but sure is innovative and hard!

Arbitrary

Medalist
Vladimir Samoylov just landed his 4S-1Eu-3S seq during Cup of Russia LP, 5th stage.

Is it acceptable as a 'difficult' sequence?

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
...why would Brian Orser randomly lie about this?
I don’t think they were saying he was lying...? More that it’s not possible cleanly or in competition.

Personally I think quad-quad jumps are the next frontier, certainly before the 4A and definitely before quints. I think the kind of skill for a 4A just isn’t around just yet but gaining the power for quad-quads is more achievable. Then again the weight you gain when you gain more power...

Actually now that I think about it what do I know! lol