Help. New blades | Golden Skate

Help. New blades

Longo2002

Spectator
Hello skaters
I found skating at 60. I know crazy right!
I got Ridells off the rack and the boot killed me.
Got a custom Riedell boot and life is amazing.
I have only been skating nine months but really feel i was
Progressing but new boots came with corn ace blades
Shorter, more rocker and I’m thrown all off. Feeling like I’m going to fall backwards
And doing the airplane arm thing again.
Any hints on how to help me?????

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
This is the wrong area for this post but I’ve found with new blades it’s just practicing the basics until you feel confident in them. I'm still getting used to my new blades!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You just have to get used to them. I went from rentals to Coro Aces and it was a big adjustment. Just take it easy and slowly and you'll get used to it.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hello skaters
I found skating at 60. I know crazy right!
I got Ridells off the rack and the boot killed me.
Got a custom Riedell boot and life is amazing.
I have only been skating nine months but really feel i was
Progressing but new boots came with corn ace blades
Shorter, more rocker and I’m thrown all off. Feeling like I’m going to fall backwards
And doing the airplane arm thing again.
Any hints on how to help me?????
It's not just new blades: it's new boots, new blades, and new size ... all in concert. It'll take time and practice.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I would give them some time to get used to. Then you can see if you have an issue with the blades. I had that issue with Coronation Ace blades for many many months and it never got better, so I switched to MK Professionals and don't really have the issue anymore (only minimally, but it is still a 7' rocker so will never be as stable as an 8' rocker).

I thought the Coro Ace was almost identical to the MK Prof. Can you describe the differences you felt? And I assume you didn't change sizes when you switched blades?

Sam L

Medalist
8" rocker more stable for jumps/landings. 7" more maneuverable for turns, spins, etc.

Everything is a trade-off...

That may be true in theory but I found 8" better for turns and spins. I found it easier to find the sweet spot for spins. Generally speaking I like like a curved blade and I have Coronation Ace which is very curved. But it's a good blade and a good learning blade because it forces me to be really on the correct part of the blade for the action I'm taking. I personally can't wait to graduate to Gold Seals one day.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I thought the Coro Ace was almost identical to the MK Prof. Can you describe the differences you felt? And I assume you didn't change sizes when you switched blades?

Not to answer for IceTherapy - but the MK Pro has a more pronounced, single-radius spin rocker (12”), while the Coro Ace has a more gradual compound spin rocker (12” closer to the pick, 27” closer to the heel). Essentially the MK Pro spin rocker is similar to the Gold Seal, while the Coro Ace is more similar to the Pattern 99.

bunnybarista

On the Ice
Not to answer for IceTherapy - but the MK Pro has a more pronounced, single-radius spin rocker (12”), while the Coro Ace has a more gradual compound spin rocker (12” closer to the pick, 27” closer to the heel). Essentially the MK Pro spin rocker is similar to the Gold Seal, while the Coro Ace is more similar to the Pattern 99.

Thanks! Does this mean you could spin in two different spots on the Coro Ace? I've seen the thing about 12 vs 27 on the Coro Ace but never quite understood what it meant. (Maybe that's weird given that I'm currently on Coro Aces, but...)

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks! Does this mean you could spin in two different spots on the Coro Ace? I've seen the thing about 12 vs 27 on the Coro Ace but never quite understood what it meant. (Maybe that's weird given that I'm currently on Coro Aces, but...)

It means the sweet spot is a little less prominent and further towards the ball of the foot as opposed to the toe. I’ve only ever skated on Pros but from what I’ve heard and read, the Pros are a bit easier to find and hold the sweet spot, while the CAs are a little more forgiving while you’re working to get the spin centered (I could be wrong on that though!).

Nimyue

On the Ice
It means the sweet spot is a little less prominent and further towards the ball of the foot as opposed to the toe. I’ve only ever skated on Pros but from what I’ve heard and read, the Pros are a bit easier to find and hold the sweet spot, while the CAs are a little more forgiving while you’re working to get the spin centered (I could be wrong on that though!).

From my experience that is correct.

I had a CA profile, you can pop up on your toe in the hook and rock down and save and center your spin in the CA profile. I can adjust in a spin in the CA profile. When I go from standing to a sit I can rock back and forth a bit on the way down and center the spin once I'm down. It's super forgiving. However, finding the right spot doesn't feel prominent under your foot. The feeling of the center is more subtle, so it took me a while to figure out where it was.

I got new skates and decided to try the MK Pro... if I fudge my hook and hit my toe pick, it's over. I can have uncentered sit spins which basically isn't possible in my CA. The hook has to be perfect, my free hip cannot ever fall. But the spin rocker is SUPER obvious under my foot. So my forward spins that I'm used to doing on my CA are difficult, I can't be lazy at all. However, my backspin was better immediately because the spin rocker was so obvious. Also when I learn a new spin it's easier because the rocker is obvious. They just don't allow for any laziness and I can't save a spin from a bad hook. I haven't decided if I'm keeping them or switching back... there are possitives and negatives. Also the rocker is more forward on the MK Pro and it's a bit further back on the CA.

bunnybarista

On the Ice

I got new skates and decided to try the MK Pro... if I fudge my hook and hit my toe pick, it's over. I can have uncentered sit spins which basically isn't possible in my CA. The hook has to be perfect, my free hip cannot ever fall. But the spin rocker is SUPER obvious under my foot. So my forward spins that I'm used to doing on my CA are difficult, I can't be lazy at all. However, my backspin was better immediately because the spin rocker was so obvious. Also when I learn a new spin it's easier because the rocker is obvious. They just don't allow for any laziness and I can't save a spin from a bad hook. I haven't decided if I'm keeping them or switching back... there are possitives and negatives. Also the rocker is more forward on the MK Pro and it's a bit further back on the CA.

I have low arches and naturally fall backward a bit just while standing on the floor, so when I was in Coronation Aces I just felt like I was falling backward sometimes. The spin rocker was also further back, and I found after getting the MK Professionals, that I feel more comfortable with a spin rocker further forward. Plus they are an "elongated" 7' rocker, so maybe that's why they feel more stable? I'm not quite sure.

Thank you so much for the insights! (And so sorry for accidentally taking over this thread, oops! :slink:) Nimyue, interesting to hear the spin rocker differences. I've only started spinning in the past few months so perhaps the Coro Ace's forgiving qualities are best suited to my level right now. On the flip side, I also feel like I'm going to fall backwards sometimes on my Coro Aces like IceTherapy mentioned, so I like the thought of (potentially) feeling more comfortable/secure in the MK Pro... decisions, decisions! Time to visit my fitter again soon!

mishulyia

On the Ice
Thank you so much for the insights! (And so sorry for accidentally taking over this thread, oops! :slink:) Nimyue, interesting to hear the spin rocker differences. I've only started spinning in the past few months so perhaps the Coro Ace's forgiving qualities are best suited to my level right now. On the flip side, I also feel like I'm going to fall backwards sometimes on my Coro Aces like IceTherapy mentioned, so I like the thought of (potentially) feeling more comfortable/secure in the MK Pro... decisions, decisions! Time to visit my fitter again soon!

So what did you decide bunnybarista? CA or MK Pro? [emoji5]

bunnybarista

On the Ice
So what did you decide bunnybarista? CA or MK Pro? [emoji5]

Circling back around to say that I've stayed with the Coro Ace for now - my fitter was able to fix the issues I was having with the blades so no need to buy anything new just yet. :)