Maiia Khromykh | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Maiia Khromykh

Azikin

Medalist
That was really a great boost of confidence (hopefully) after the disappointing GP starts. And the medal was close. :agree:

Azikin

Medalist
Google-translated interview:
"Salkhov almost turned out, but overall I am satisfied. If the quadruple was clean, it would be even better ... This season was not easy for me, there were many different problems. But if I'm here, then I managed. The most difficult thing for me was preparing for the national championship in order to qualify for the championship. Then not everything worked out, but I tried very hard. There were different moments this season. And when it was very hard for me, jumping did not work, Eteri Georgievna (Tutberidze - approx.) Supported, talked to me, said that they believe in me that everyone has a chance. Found the right words ... Eteri Georgievna - strong and demanding. But she really likes to joke. If you come to training, you will see not only serious faces, but also smiles. Without this, just nothing."
https://sun6-14.userapi.com/c857028/v857028720/110d80/6jztNWcjDwI.jpg
https://sun6-13.userapi.com/c857028/v857028720/110d89/y_o_CE_d9uo.jpg

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Do we know what her health issues were? I remember hearing rumors of a possible back injury over the summer - is this what she’s alluding to?

She was injured in the summer, I think she said it during junior test skates, that’s all I know.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I've updated Maiia's wiki page a little, added full competition results, updated her PB and added some info about her skating at the junior worlds. I hope they won't delete it (it is somehow in consideration :confused2:).

comixarma

Rinkside
Plushenko seems to be obsessed with poaching ready-made talent from Eteri

Targeting students stuck in the shadow of higher flying team mates (Sakhanovich, Tarakanova and now Trusova) OR targeting them in vulnerable stages (like Zagitova, when she announced time off)

Of Eteri's stellar triad of juniors--Valieva, Usacheva, and Khromykh--Plushenko would probably consider Maia the weakest link to target, no?

Azikin

Medalist

Targeting students stuck in the shadow of higher flying team mates (Sakhanovich, Tarakanova and now Trusova) OR targeting them in vulnerable stages (like Zagitova, when she announced time off)

Of Eteri's stellar triad of juniors--Valieva, Usacheva, and Khromykh--Plushenko would probably consider Maia the weakest link to target, no?

I think that Maya is a very sensitive girl and I doubt she would leave Eteri for Plushenko like this. And I also think she knows that one just doesn't leave Eteri to become better. It's the opposite.

ejnsofi

Final Flight

I think that as long as there is no internal conflict between Maiia and the rest of the team she won't consider leaving. And I don't think that anyone should consider her the weakest link as artistically I think she is level above the other two.

Also I want to remind that Eteri is also poaching talents including Maiia... Sasha was already training quads when she joined her group, solid basics of Aliona and jump technique are from her previous coach, Tarakanova's spins and lutz also aren't Eteri's product. Sure she helps them with consistency but technique wise the students who are truly "hers" are Medvedeva and Shcherbakova.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I think that as long as there is no internal conflict between Maiia and the rest of the team she won't consider leaving. And I don't think that anyone should consider her the weakest link as artistically I think she is level above the other two.

Also I want to remind that Eteri is also poaching talents including Maiia... Sasha was already training quads when she joined her group, solid basics of Aliona and jump technique are from her previous coach, Tarakanova's spins and lutz also aren't Eteri's product. Sure she helps them with consistency but technique wise the students who are truly "hers" are Medvedeva and Shcherbakova.

I don't know Eteri would approach skaters, the skaters rather approach Eteri :)

I don't know about a single case when Eteri would "poach" a world senior/junior champion or otherwise succesful skater. Most skaters come to Eteri as relatively unknown and leave her for other coaches as champions/medalists. Yes, Alina came to her as 13 y. old, but Alina before coming to Eteri and after one year at the start of her junior season is a big difference.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
I don't know Eteri would approach skaters, the skaters rather approach Eteri :)

I don't know about a single case when Eteri would "poach" a world senior/junior champion or otherwise succesful skater. Most skaters come to Eteri as relatively unknown and leave her for other coaches as champions/medalists. Yes, Alina came to her as 13 y. old, but Alina before coming to Eteri and after one year at the start of her junior season is a big difference.

Champions? No. But skaters with solid basis and technique who have great potential but lack consistency? Yes. And Eteri isn't the only one who does it because every top coach has students who came from other schools and nowadays it's hard to find junior skaters who has been in the same group for 3 years or longer. Also I'd really hardly call it poaching xD Especially when some coaches are looking actively for skaters especially when they have pair/ice dance skater without a partner

And it's the end of the off topic

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Transfer or poaching? Depends entirely on the method used. Eteri Georgiyevna's group is the pinnacle of figure skating in Russia, the most sought after group for parents with ambitions, there are far more dismissals than admissions at assessment sessions.

Eteri Georgiyevna has an uncanny instinct to detect fighting spirit and perseverance in children. So far, none of the children has disappointed, Maya fought for her chance to make the junior team and edged out a possibly stronger, older and more experienced Kseniya Sinitsyna. Maya totally convinced in her finals, not given up after her error, instead putting some extra effort in. She is a pure Tutberyat.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Champions? No. But skaters with solid basis and technique who have great potential but lack consistency? Yes. And Eteri isn't the only one who does it because every top coach has students who came from other schools and nowadays it's hard to find junior skaters who has been in the same group for 3 years or longer. Also I'd really hardly call it poaching xD Especially when some coaches are looking actively for skaters especially when they have pair/ice dance skater without a partner

And it's the end of the off topic

You can hardly find a team who brought more champions/medalists to the world in the last two olympic cycles. Most of them has amazing consistency considering the difficulty of their programs.

And yes, for me it's a big difference if Eteri's team, despite blames they work only with complete skaters, mostly start with kids in pre-junior age, while many other top coaches mostly accept developed skaters. It's not blam,ing someone, that's how they work (Orser e.g. openly talked about he is not interested in work with the young pre-junior skaters). But eteri can be hardly blamed of poaching, she didn't took oversenior medalists from her own iniciative. After all, Lilbet is an exception and by her own words she had to persuade Eteri for quite a long time.

That's my point, maybe we both define "poaching" different way. For me it means taking over an already established skater from the primary iniciative of not a skater himself, but a team/coach.