Elite Skater families | Golden Skate

Elite Skater families

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Not sure if a thread has already been made for them but who are The elite skaters (current and maybe a few years ago) who had elite skaters as parents?

Ones that come to mind: Ivan Bukin (Andrei Bukin), Anthony Ponomarenko (Sergei Ponomarenko), Artur Dimitriev Jr. (Artur Dimitriev), Fedor Andreev (Marina Zueva). I can only seem to think of Russians, lol. Any more elite skaters with elite parents? Or ones up and coming on the Junior Circuit?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Liza Kulik (Ilia Kulik and Ekaterina Gordeeva), Gabriella Marvaldi (Isabelle Brasseur and Rocky Marval)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Elizavita Kulik (Just competed in US Pacific Sectionals) Daughter of Katia (Gordeeva) and Ilia (Kulik)

I keep hearing Morozov’s daughter is actually really good. :popcorn:

Not sure if either are Elite at this level though :laugh:

Backload

Rinkside
Actually, Anthony Ponomarenko is the son of Marina Klimova and Sergei Ponomarenko. Both parents were elite skaters.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ashley Cain is the daughter of Olympian Peter Cain, who competed in pairs with his sister Elizabeth for Australia in 1980.
Her mother, Darlene, was an ice dancer in Canada, but I don’t know if she was considered elite.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Andrew Torgashev:luv17:

Son of ice dancer Ilona Melnichenko and pairs skater Artem Torgashev, who competed for the Soviet Union.

Ashley Cain
Daughter of pairs skater Peter Cain, who competed for Australia and ice dancer Darlene (Wendt) Cain who competed for Canada.

What is it with pairs guys and ice dancing women, and their skating progeny?:laugh:

ETA: Moxiejan and I have the same great thoughts :biggrin:

jf12

Final Flight

She competed at GP Rostelecom this year so she would be. There's also Shane Firus and Liam Firus, Nick Buckland and Joseph Buckland, Max Aaron and Madeline Aaron.

Eloise14

Rinkside
Elizavita Kulik (Just competed in US Pacific Sectionals) Daughter of Katia (Gordeeva) and Ilia (Kulik)

I'm a big fan of Katia but I wouldn't call her daughter an elite skater yet either.

I actually think her daughter should consider ice dance. She has beautiful grace and movement on the ice but couldn't hit those jumps in sectionals. She fell twice in the short and once in the free and kept popping out of them in the free. I don't if it was just a fluke week or if she always struggles with jumps in competition.

ribbit

On the Ice
What is it with pairs guys and ice dancing women, and their skating progeny?:laugh:

Another example: Jean-Luc Baker's parents both competed for the UK. His mother, Sharon Jones Baker, was an ice dancer and 1980 Olympian, while his father, Stephen Baker, was a pairs skater who went to Junior Worlds in 1976.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Monica Macdonald went to the Olympics for Australia in 1988 in ice dance. 26 years later her son Brendan Kerry made his Olympic debut.

EDIT: And now her daughter Chantelle is a Worlds ice dancer as well, and may yet be an Olympic ice dancer, 34 years later.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm maybe stretching "A few years ago" with this example, but hey!

1976 Ice Dance Junior World Champion Nicky Slater is the son of 1952 and 1953 Ice Dance World Silver Medallists Joan Dewhirst and John Slater.

How about Diana Davis, daughter of Eteri Tutberidze ...

Although Eteri is an elite level coach, she didn't make it to elite level in her own skating career.

But, since we now appear to be including elite level coaches, may I suggest Margaret O'Neill and her son Samuel McAllister.

CaroLiza_fan

lappo

Final Flight
Maribel Vinson and her daughters Maribel and Laurence Owen. Her husband was a figure skater too.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Yuka Sato, daughter of Nobuo Sato and Kumiko Okawa who represented Japan at Worlds and Olympics in the 1960s

Marina Anissina, daughter of Irina Cherniaeva who competed in pairs in the 1970s

enzet

On the Ice
Takahiko Kozuka, son of Tsuguhiko Kozuka who is a 3-time Japanese national champion and who also placed 18th at the 1968 Olympics and as high as 13th at Worlds in 1969.