2020 U. S. Figure Skating Championships - Greensboro, NC | Golden Skate

2020 U. S. Figure Skating Championships - Greensboro, NC

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There was speculation that Skate America was going to be held here next year.

I'm surprised they announced this first. Hope we find out where SA 2019 will be held soon.

What is the weather like in NC in January? Maybe I'll go but it's too early to tell.

frida80

Record Breaker
There was speculation that Skate America was going to be held here next year.

I'm surprised they announced this first. Hope we find out where SA 2019 will be held soon.

What is the weather like in NC in January? Maybe I'll go but it's too early to tell.

Very mild. About 50F on average. Sometimes there’s risk of occasional snow. But not often. I live in NC.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
:rolleye: They seriously need to try somewhere else. This will be 3 times in the last decade.

frida80

Record Breaker
:rolleye: They seriously need to try somewhere else. This will be 3 times in the last decade.

I'm pretty sure they chose it again because they were the only ones that bid. It's getting harder to find places willing to host. :(

RobinA

On the Ice
From previous comments about this venue, I understand you need a car? Is this true, and if so, how much is parking? I was really hoping it would be more MidAtlantic/Northeast this time. It's been forever since I've been to an event and I miss it. Although I doubt I'll drive. Well, money saved for a summer trip!

frida80

Record Breaker
From previous comments about this venue, I understand you need a car? Is this true, and if so, how much is parking? I was really hoping it would be more MidAtlantic/Northeast this time. It's been forever since I've been to an event and I miss it. Although I doubt I'll drive. Well, money saved for a summer trip!

Parking depends on the day. I remember it being $10 for the day of the ladies FS.

magictodo

On the Ice
I'll say I was shocked by how much the ticket prices were. I paid $175 all event for Skate America in Lake Placid for 10th row seats. Same kind of seating here would be $555. I want to go but cost of hotel and tickets is really going to add up.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

They need to try St. Louis!!!! I'm surprised they haven't. We've had a Men's Olympic Gymnastic Trials here, a Women's National Gymnastics Championship, 2 NCAA Gymnastic Championships and an SEC Gymnastics Championship. Time for figure skating!

gkelly

Record Breaker
I'll say I was shocked by how much the ticket prices were. I paid $175 all event for Skate America in Lake Placid for 10th row seats. Same kind of seating here would be $555. I want to go but cost of hotel and tickets is really going to add up.

There are about 3 times as many skaters at Nationals as at Skate America, counting juniors.

Many more when there were lower levels as well, but as of next year it will only be juniors and seniors.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm going to wait until they put the championship weekend packages on sale - hope they are less expensive than what is on sale now. I can't imagine this would sell out though. In San Jose this year (an Olympic year), I bought the cheap(er) nosebleed packaged seats but never used them and sat in the lower bowl during the the competitions because there were always a lot of empty seats to choose from - I'm not really picky what part of the rink I sit in, either.

I'm looking at lodging options - there are a cluster of hotels about a mile from the arena, a few are already sold out on Booking.com for the dates in January, but I'm thinking they aren't really yet, they may just not be taking reservations yet. Red Roof Inn is taking reservations and prices are reasonable - there is a bus that picks up 2 minutes from the RRI that takes 20 minutes to get to the arena. Google Maps also says walking takes 20 minutes. I wouldn't have a car.

Also looked at Homeaway and Airbnb but did not see anything close to the arena. Those hotels (all have Coliseum in their name) are your best bet if you want to be close the venue.

Also round trip flights are about $200 from NYC so prices are pretty reasonable, all in all and cheaper than me flying to San Jose.

Carolla5501

On the Ice
I'm pretty sure they chose it again because they were the only ones that bid. It's getting harder to find places willing to host. :(

I'm going to wait until they put the championship weekend packages on sale - hope they are less expensive than what is on sale now. I can't imagine this would sell out though. In San Jose this year (an Olympic year), I bought the cheap(er) nosebleed packaged seats but never used them and sat in the lower bowl during the the competitions because there were always a lot of empty seats to choose from - I'm not really picky what part of the rink I sit in, either.

I'm looking at lodging options - there are a cluster of hotels about a mile from the arena, a few are already sold out on Booking.com for the dates in January, but I'm thinking they aren't really yet, they may just not be taking reservations yet. Red Roof Inn is taking reservations and prices are reasonable - there is a bus that picks up 2 minutes from the RRI that takes 20 minutes to get to the arena. Google Maps also says walking takes 20 minutes. I wouldn't have a car.

Also looked at Homeaway and Airbnb but did not see anything close to the arena. Those hotels (all have Coliseum in their name) are your best bet if you want to be close the venue.

Also round trip flights are about $200 from NYC so prices are pretty reasonable, all in all and cheaper than me flying to San Jose.

A lot of hotels don’t open bookings until 11 or 12 months in advance

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wish I could talk my mom into going - she lives less than 4 hours away. But I can't even get her to go with me due to cost of hotels and tickets, let alone would she go by herself.

b-man

Final Flight

Keep in mind hotels are cheap in Greensboro, much less than Boston or San Jose.

I seem to recall parking passes for about $60 for the whole week.

Weather is likely to be better than Omaha, St. Paul, Boston, Detroit.

Biggest bonus is practice rink is in same facility as the main rink, not miles away or totally inaccessible like most Nationals.