2020 U. S. Figure Skating Championships - Greensboro, NC | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2020 U. S. Figure Skating Championships - Greensboro, NC

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I was over the moon when I heard, I live 50 miles away. Now there’s a whole year to be happy every time I think about it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Jason got a great score in the SP in Croatia. I hope he gets back to Worlds.

Xena45

Rinkside
So, if a person could go to either the 2020 US Championships, OR Worlds in Montreal in March 2020, which would you choose? Between the cost and the time off of work, I can only go to one.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So, if a person could go to either the 2020 US Championships, OR Worlds in Montreal in March 2020, which would you choose? Between the cost and the time off of work, I can only go to one.

Depends if you want to see a lot of us skaters. If you like a lot of us skaters, I’d go to nationals.

Montreal is the better city to visit. And worlds doesn’t come through North America every year. Seems to come around every 3-4 years. (2016, Boston; 2013 London, Ontario; 2009 Los Angeles; 2006 Calgary; 2003 Washington DC)

Last edited:

ucrgirl

On the Ice

It does depend who you want to see. I image Worlds will be more expensive than Nationals, but I would pick Worlds because of the chance to see Hanyu or Papadakis/Cizeron.

Xena45

Rinkside
Yeah, we went to the Grand Prix finals in Vancouver in 2019, in the hopes of seeing Hanyu and Papadakis/Cizeron! We got to see Aliona & Bruno skate at Skate America the year before, which was truly awesome. And I'm so very glad we got to see Adam Rippon. My mother and I are skating junkies. ;)

When I watched the US Nationals on TV, it seemed so... special. For so many people who compete there, this is the biggest and best competition they'll ever skate in. It would also be nice to go to NC in January (coming from Wisconsin). Of course, world's would be awesome too!

Really, BOTH would be best, probably. ;) But alas, time and money!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I've been to both and I would choose Nationals, hands down. 1. Worlds is going to be exponentially more expensive. 2. Most of my favorite skaters are US skaters. If you've absolutely got to see Med or Hanyu or whatever, go to Worlds. 3. At Nationals you can literally bump into anyone. I ran into Alysa, Bradie, and Scott Hamilton just in the hallways. At Worlds I got like a glimpse of Javi in the hallway but he was surrounded by a posse and not stopping. 4. Worlds does not have FOFS breakfast to hang out with skaters. 5 In my experience everything, tickets, hotels, everything is more expensive at Worlds, but I made a bad rookie mistake of buying tickets seperately, one set per month, and that killed me in Ticketmaster fees. So if you go to Worlds, don't do that. 6. I have it on good authority Detroit is going to put in a strong bid for worlds..what 2022?

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2021 is Stockholm, right? I think Detroit would be great for Worlds 2022. Hopefully the weather would be a little better. I really like Nationals a lot, but I LOVE Worlds..I've gone 3 years in a row and am sorry I can't go this year.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2021 is Stockholm, right? I think Detroit would be great for Worlds 2022. Hopefully the weather would be a little better. I really like Nationals a lot, but I LOVE Worlds..I've gone 3 years in a row and am sorry I can't go this year.

It is in March, right? We got really lucky with the weather in Boston, I think they were having a "heat wave." There was a named winter storm that came through starting the day we left though. Fortunately my sister could drive in snow.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Xena45 - in your case, I would choose Worlds. It’s a rare opportunity that it is held not super far from you. And if you are hoping to see Hanyu and P/C, there is a good chance they will be there. But it will be a more expensive trip, for sure.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If Detroit is going for Worlds in 2022, keep in mind that would be the post-Olympics Worlds, which typically a good number of the top skaters and medalists skip. So you can't count too much on seeing any of them specifically. This past Worlds, 2/3 ice dance medalists, 2/3 pairs medalists, 2/3 men's medalists and 1/3 ladies medalists skipped Worlds (some because they were retiring like D/R, some due to injuries).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I’d say the most ideal combo is 2020 worlds to see top world skaters and 2022 us nationals. I’ve only been to nationals on an Olympic Year and the energy and buzz is amazing. I will say that if you have a favorite you hope will go to the Olympics be prepared to be exhilarated and completely heartbroken — I’ve experienced both, alas.

I didn’t plan this ahead of time but I went to 2014 and 2018 nationals and 2016 worlds. I feel like I got a good combination of seeing different skaters and a good variety of performances.

So that’s something to consider in your planning.

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
i attended 2013 Skate America and 2009 & 2019 US Nationals. They are both different experiences but are equally awesome. since i have seen both kinds of events, if i had a choice right now, i would go to worlds over nationals.

At SA it was really cool to see skaters from other countries in person, especially world/GPF medalists/champions. Watching Mao practice her 3A was almost mindblowing...you get to witness this level of athleticism and just elite-ness that you don't get to really see at nationals. international events have more of a competitive buzz around them, like you literally feel blessed to be in the presence of such high caliber athletes :p

but on the other hand, nationals is a really special experience. to see a skater crowned as their country's champion is something very special and almost personal that you get to share with them. being crowned champion or getting a medal is always a dream a skater wants to check off, and to see that come to fruition is a really cool thing, but you could also say this about becoming a world champion too. Being able to watch skaters who made their goal of earning their first trip to nationals, or watch skaters like Emmy Ma who knew she wouldn't get a medal but had 2 great skates and came off the ice emotional both times is also a special thing to be a part of. Nationals is a way more personal experience.

But that being said i recommend going to both if you can. They are both very cool experiences in their own way :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
I’d say the most ideal combo is 2020 worlds to see top world skaters and 2022 us nationals. I’ve only been to nationals on an Olympic Year and the energy and buzz is amazing. I will say that if you have a favorite you hope will go to the Olympics be prepared to be exhilarated and completely heartbroken — I’ve experienced both, alas.

I didn’t plan this ahead of time but I went to 2014 and 2018 nationals and 2016 worlds. I feel like I got a good combination of seeing different skaters and a good variety of performances.

So that’s something to consider in your planning.

I attended Worlds in 1999 and I went to Nationals in 2011. The year Alissa and Ryan were the Champions. Personally, I enjoyed Worlds much more. I loved nationals but, there was more "excitement" in the air at Worlds. I don't think you can go wrong either way. For me, the biggest obstacle would be the expense. I was fortunate to be on tour in Helsinki when Worlds came around because I couldn't do it now that I live California. Vancouver Worlds in 2001 was my last time going but, if I had to choose, I'd go to Worlds.

concorde

Medalist
Related but off topic.

Where are 2020 Regionals / Sectionals? I have not seen anything on the USFS website but people tell me at least the locations for Regionals have been announced.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm going to wait until they put the championship weekend packages on sale - hope they are less expensive than what is on sale now. ...

Per e-mail today:

… Championship Weekend Ticket Package will be going on sale tomorrow morning at 10am EDT. A Championship Weekend Ticket Package includes five Senior-level competitive events and the Skating Spectacular, for a total of 6 ticketed sessions.

The Championship Weekend Ticket Package features five competitive events featuring senior skaters, the top level of skating athletes in the country. Four of those events will be medal rounds, where national champions in Ladies, Men, Pairs, and Ice Dance will be crowned. Also included will be the Opening Ceremonies, Men’s Short Program, and the Skating Spectacular. The Championship Weekend Ticket Package sessions will include one session Friday night, January 24; 3 sessions on Saturday the 25th; and two sessions on Sunday, January 26

To order tickets, please visit
ncskate2020.com​