Javier Fernandez Confirms Retirement | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez Confirms Retirement

LindaTNo1

Rinkside
Apparently from various Spain media sources, Javi will retire following Europeans in January 2019. It looks official now. I will miss him at competitions. Any thoughts, feelings gladly accepted. The best team, Yuzuru and Javi. So great.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I take it that means he's going to compete at Europeans, then? :clap: Looking forward to that!

Ulrica

On the Ice
I take it that means he's going to compete at Europeans, then? :clap: Looking forward to that!

Yep, he will compete at Euros and the retire;

https://www.larazon.es/deportes/el-...e-retirara-tras-el-europeo-de-2019-PE20719530

He said this: "Tengo que pensar en el nivel de competición al que quiero competir porque mi cuerpo o mi mente ya no llegan ... Tengo que aceptarlo"

Tranlation: "I need to think about the level of competition I want to be at, because my body and mind are not there anymore...I need to accept it."

I knew it, I get why but Im still sad. He really accomplish a lot and wrote his part on history. Wishing him luck at Europeans.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
He will be missed big time on the competition circuit. So rare to have someone with the talent and charisma combined and the ability to own the arena. So glad he got his Olympic medal this year after narrowly missing out 4 years earlier. His stand out performance will always be Guys and Dolls in Boston :yahoo:

Tulipstar

Medalist
It's nice that he will still go to Europeans.

Someone who has done so much for the sport deserves a relaxed season like this, where he phases out of being competitive and only picks what he will attends.
I'm sure we will see him in shows, and perhaps as a coach?

Good luck, Javi:thumbsup:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I knew this was coming but I am glad he will compete at Europeans. He is six time consecutive winner
at Europeans. Quite a record. Fingers crossed he will make it seven.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My mother will be so sad. She loves her "little Spaniard."

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Not really a surprise of any kind, he was talking about it already right after the Olympics, after all, but still am feeling a little sad seeing it made official.

I was in Moscow at the Europeans with friends and we were wondering whether it would be the last time we would see him skate in competition - most of us could not go to the Olympics and we were getting pretty sure already at that time that he would probably not do the Worlds.

It was an almost perfect week full of different kinds of Javi experiences from a LaLiga event on the Red Square on Monday to the gala on Sunday, so it would have been a great way to end watching him compete with cramped stomachs and racing hearts... In that respect, Minsk will be a huge added bonus, an almost unexpected encore.

It will be not the same to watch men's figure skating for a long time after this...

E

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sad... but he's probably wise to choose to go out of competition while still right at the top. No one can take his place that's for sure....

noskates

Record Breaker
Javi was a true gentleman and a credit to the sport. I'm glad he's quitting while he's still pretty much on top. I'll miss his smile in addition to the wonderful programs he always presented. Best wishes Javi!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will miss seeing Javi in competition but he's accomplished so much for himself and Spain, including an Olympic medal and world titles. I hope he's able to go out on top with another Euros championship title.

I'm so glad I got see him at 2016 Worlds when he won with that fab freeskate to "Guys and Dolls."

rosacotton

Final Flight
:sad21:Sigh. He will be deeply missed. He has been one of my favorite men skaters since his breakthrough at Skate Canada in 2011.

I'll sign off with my top 5 programs of his.
1. Malagueña
2. Guys and Dolls
3. Modern Times
4. Barber of Seville
5. Mask of Zorro

pesto

On the Ice
Missing him already, and the Europeans is an unexpected bonus.

I still remember fondly his Pirates of the Carribean, when he was still rough around the edges, but so charming.

He polished off the rough edges, but never lost the charm, which is a rare feat to pull off.

GGFan

Record Breaker
:cry: Missing him already and looking forward to his Daisuke comeback in a couple years.:hap10: