What is the most heartbreaking moment in skating competition | Golden Skate

What is the most heartbreaking moment in skating competition

Ross74

Medalist
Tai and Randy’s last-minute withdrawal following the warm-up at the Lake Placid OG. :(.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For me it’s Yulia’s last performance. I can’t even talk about it :cry:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I know it ended on a high note, but Mao's (individual) 2014 Olympic short program made my heart sink :(

Fluture

Record Breaker
To me it has to be seeing Evgenia cry after the scores were shown at the Olympics. I was happy for Alina but my heart literally broke for Zhenya...

GGFan

Record Breaker
Mine tend to be Olympic because we all put so much emphasis on the games and a lot of athletes never get another chance:

1. Michelle in 1998 and especially in 2002 when she fell.

2. Debi Thomas completely falling apart in 1988. My family was crushed.

3. Anton and Elena falling in both of their programs in 1998 and then having to deal with the mess of 2002.

4. Marie France and Patrice's disaster in 2006.

5. Kurt in 1992 and 1994.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
My god, how many heartbreaks are there? Too many to list! I can't tell you how much it hurts to root for a favorite, someone you have a real soft spot for, knowing they have the potential to be GREAT, then see them make mistakes time after time after time after time :dance2:

for me the most recent one was Worlds 2018. All skaters were tired, injured you name it. But had to continue to save the spots for their federation

rachno2

Record Breaker
The Olympics are a treasure trove of heartbreak for my faves!

- Michelle saying "I didn't give up" in the KnC in SLC (Sasha was my favorite even then, but I was so shook by the mighty Kween’s freak fall)

- Speaking of Sasha, worse things have happened, but not for 10 year-old me

- The emotional roller coaster that was Mao’s Sochi experience (I listen to Rach's piano concerto to this day when I find myself in the depths of despair, all because of that performance)

- Most recently......cursed image (and having to see that same look on his face over and over again this season :cry:)

I just realized they're all technically Olympic silver medalists :drama:

minze

Medalist
For me it’s Yulia’s last performance. I can’t even talk about it :cry:

I miss Yulia. I didn't show enough appreciation when when she was competing, mostly because she competed against Mao and I am not capable of rooting for two skaters at the same time:laugh2:. In all seriousness, she was regal on the ice, her spins were perfect and I love that stoic look she had on the ice.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Mao at Sochi. Both SP and FS were heartbreaking for different reasons.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
There are too many to count- it also depends on what you consider heartbreaking.

I think Mao's SP at Sochi is what stands out the most in my mind- especially because she followed that heartbreak with the skate of her life.

Carolla5501

On the Ice
Kwan at any Olympics
Browning at any Olympics

Alyssa Cizney in Greensboro. Yes she won the national championship, but the heartbreak when she came off the ice was so sad.

Tai and Randy - Lake Placid

Brian Orser Calgary. The feeling he had that he was disappointing an entire country.