What is the most heartbreaking moment in skating competition | Page 11 | Golden Skate

What is the most heartbreaking moment in skating competition

Casual

On the Ice
I feel that in any sport, the only truly heartbreaking moments are those when undeserving win because of cheating. While "bad luck" or "my best wasn't enough" can also be very sad, it's just not as heartbreaking as learning that true champions were robbed of their accomplishments, because someone decided to cheat.

In figure skating, biased judging sometimes rises to the level of crooked cheating. That disappoints me much more than any other sad story of crushed expectations.

Everything else - bad luck, close calls, photo finishes, silly (or awful) mistakes, even untimely injuries - can be tolerated as part of life. But for me, "crookedness" is truly heartbreaking, because it robs both spectators and athletes. It just sucks the joy out of watching sports.

ssffww

On the Ice
No sooner had the final result of the ladies event at SLC been announced than the camera showed Sarah Hughes and Robin Wagner felicitating their victory in a ferment and Michelle Kwan not coming out of the closed door to show herself.

And Irina Slutskaya in tears. I was so happy for Sarah and so sad for the other two.

ssffww

On the Ice
One of the saddest moments for me was Alissa Czisny's 2012 Worlds free skate.

skatespin

On the Ice
When Yuna stepped off the ice for the very last time I cried. When the crowd started chanting for Sotnikova while Yuna sat at the kiss and cry for the last time in her life I was heartbroken. Even though I prepared myself for the worse, when the results came in and I saw "placement: 2" I felt sick to my stomach. The SBS broadcast version panned to Yuna's mother in the crowd crying profusely with her friend try to console her. I've never felt this disgusted and heartbroken watching figure skating in my life. I never want to feel like that again.

Same thoughts here!!!

For this specific thread though, I was more-so imagining a heartbreaking moment on ice, for which I immediately thought of Mao Asada in Sochi SP & LP. The SP was traditionally heartbreaking and I think the LP made me feel even more emotional because of her sobbing right after she finished the program of her life and what could have been. And how Mao remained so strong after bad things were said about her by some officials in Japan after she made fatal errors in the SP. It was one of those moments that really solidified her as one of the figure skating greats and legends, even if she will never have a real olympic gold medal.

Also, though I love Yuna Kim. Her chilly treatment by the Russian crowd and loss were heartbreaking, but it was also very inspiring to see her strength (facing all the pressure/expectations and unsupportive crowd) and grace (at her loss). I think Sochi in general is one of the most heartbreaking competitions, with bitter sweet results for 3 very likable top skaters Mao, Yuna, and Julia.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I feel that in any sport, the only truly heartbreaking moments are those when undeserving win because of cheating. While "bad luck" or "my best wasn't enough" can also be very sad, it's just not as heartbreaking as learning that true champions were robbed of their accomplishments, because someone decided to cheat.

In figure skating, biased judging sometimes rises to the level of crooked cheating. That disappoints me much more than any other sad story of crushed expectations.

Everything else - bad luck, close calls, photo finishes, silly (or awful) mistakes, even untimely injuries - can be tolerated as part of life. But for me, "crookedness" is truly heartbreaking, because it robs both spectators and athletes. It just sucks the joy out of watching sports.
i hear you but the problem is for every outraged result it seems there are a huge number who disagree. Ie. Nancy should have beaten Oksana or Orsers should have beaten Boitano or Yuna should have beaten Adelina. Even Sale and Pelletier an argument that B/S should have won anyways based on artistry and skating skills.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No sooner had the final result of the ladies event at SLC been announced than the camera showed Sarah Hughes and Robin Wagner felicitating their victory in a ferment and Michelle Kwan not coming out of the closed door to show herself.

Wow? Really? I remember Sarah and Robin sitting backstage chilling, or whatever they did in those days, there weren't the 3 chairs to sit in for the 3 leaders. I'm not even certain they thought she had podiumed. Then a cameraman or someone came back there, opened the door, and said "you won." "WHAT?" "You won" and this almost palpable wave of joy coming and literally knocking them over. It is one of my favorite moments ever in figure skating. Sarah skated lights out, a once in a lifetime skate. Michelle didn't. People make it sound like Sarah was participating in some giant plot to deny Michelle her predestined gold medal. That would be like me saying that there was a grand conspiracy for Med, Ashley and Satoko to steal the gold away from Gracie in 2016. Much as I hate it, Gracie didn't skate well enough to win the gold. Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, in which case I do apologize for my rant in advance.

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
Wow? Really? I remember Sarah and Robin sitting backstage chilling, or whatever they did in those days, there weren't the 3 chairs to sit in for the 3 leaders. I'm not even certain they thought she had podiumed. Then a cameraman or someone came back there, opened the door, and said "you won." "WHAT?" "You won" and this almost palpable wave of joy coming and literally knocking them over. It is one of my favorite moments ever in figure skating. Sarah skated lights out, a once in a lifetime skate. Michelle didn't. People make it sound like Sarah was participating in some giant plot to deny Michelle her predestined gold medal. That would be like me saying that there was a grand conspiracy for Med, Ashley and Satoko to steal the gold away from Gracie in 2016. Much as I hate it, Gracie didn't skate well enough to win the gold. Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, in which case I do apologize for my rant in advance.

Well I don't think my post intimated anything of the sort. In fact, if you search my post history, you'll find me advocating Hughes's OGM based not only on her lights-out performance at the night in question but also her track records of consistently ascending the scale of placements and even beating both Kwan and Slutskaya at SC in the Olympic season. I noted the juxtaposition of Hughes's exultation against Kwan's (presumed) dejection only to express how the latter felt tragic in direct apposition to the former.

MACGoldSeal

Rinkside
The anguish on Samohin's face as he held his shoulder after that fall at 2017 Skate America is something hard to forget.
I was in the arena and it was gruesome but to hear how snarky Tara was in describing him as a 'hot mess' when I watched the broadcast later, just left a very sour taste in my mouth. I was never a Tara fan to begin with and this did nothing to change my opinion.

MACGoldSeal

Rinkside
In 1984, in the SP at the Olympics when Barb Underhill lost her center in the side by side sit spin and crashed into Paul Martini causing them both to fall. It derailed their chances at a Gold, but they did come back at the World's to win.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Brian Orser 88 Calgary Olympics, so close to garnering the gold, one could see his huge disappointment in the Kiss and Cry

Kelly Lynn

Rinkside
Brian Boitanos fall on the triple axle in the short program at the 94 Olympics. He was the first to skate, the rink was practically empty due to new security measures, I was sitting behind his ever dignified parents, and Brian was devastated. I had attended the Olympics to see him win. He had been my skating hero since 88. I’m glad to say that the wonderful people of Norway who put on an outstanding traditional Olympics and the spirit of the Olympics supporting all the Olympians soon helped me experience that larger purpose. I was in a small shopping center when Jenkins won his gold and when it was announced all the shoppers of all nationalities cheered and some wept. That’s the true spirit of the Olympics. When some few nations are willing to cheat and do anything to win then that spirit is sadly diminished.

Claudalie

Rinkside
Kurt Browning never winning the Olympics while being a 5 time world champ! Very heartbreaking. Also, Alexei Yagudin skating 2 brilliant programs "Revolutionary Etude" and "Gladiator" in 2001 and not winning the worlds! Jane Torvill and Christopher Dean's bronze comeback at the Olympics in 1994...

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Alright, to be honest, while I’ll forever rag on Tarasova/Morozov’s Candyman free program, and I really wanted Meagan and Eric on that Olympic podium; but Evgenia’s T’s reaction to placing 4th in Pyeongchang broke my heart. :sad21: