What is the most heartbreaking moment in skating competition | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What is the most heartbreaking moment in skating competition

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Dube/Davison’s accident during 2007 4CC free. They got too close during their SBS spins and Bryce’s blade made contact with Jessica’s face. She needed 83 stitches but fortunately her eyes were okay. One of the most horrifying moments in competition. They were able to come back and even win the WBM the next season.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold in Russia this year. So sad to see her seem so lost, out of shape, and in distress.

Tarasova in tears after the olympics this year

Evgenia after her long program in France this year.

Randy and Tai pulling out of the olympics

Michelle Kwan losing to Tara - oh the agony.

Brian orser losing to Brian Boitano at the 1988 olympics

Elvis Stoijko limping in runners to the podium at I believe the 1998 olympics

Josie Chouinard after every meltdownskate

Nancy kerrigan crying after she got hit Why Why Why

Joannie Rochette dealing with her mother's death in the short program at the 2010 olymics

Karen Preston at the Canadian nationals when she got bumped off the oly team by Susan Humphreys.

Mirai Nagasu being left off the 2014 oly team

Gordeeva losing Grinkov okay not in a competition.

ankifeather

Final Flight
Hanyu `s CoC 2014 performance with a bandaged head - there was blood dripping down his face after the skate. And do I need to mention RoC 2018 medal ceremony in crutches?

Daniel1998

Final Flight
This might pale in comparison to the other heartbreaks mentioned here, but Kaetlyn Osmond's terrible free skate a few years ago at Skate Canada is a program that was very hard for me to watch, and actually what made me a bigger fan of hers (I'm a sucker for a comeback story).

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Nancy
Kerrigan being filmed right after the knee bashing assault and her poor father carrying her away. And people laughing at her for crying why? Why? A good question if you ask me.

Sergei Grinkov funeral with Petrenko carrying his picture. Katia skating her tribute. All her friends watching trying hard not to break down.

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
When Yuna stepped off the ice for the very last time I cried. When the crowd started chanting for Sotnikova while Yuna sat at the kiss and cry for the last time in her life I was heartbroken. Even though I prepared myself for the worse, when the results came in and I saw "placement: 2" I felt sick to my stomach. The SBS broadcast version panned to Yuna's mother in the crowd crying profusely with her friend try to console her. I've never felt this disgusted and heartbroken watching figure skating in my life. I never want to feel like that again.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I still can't watch Michelle in 1998 or 2002.

I remember getting spoiled in 98 and thinking she had to have fallen there's no way she could have lost otherwise and just couldn't believe it. And that didn't soften the blow at all watching it later. Seeing her cry in the K&C being so happy and relieved and seeing her father in the stands so excited and people congratulating him. And then seeing Tara jumping up and down screaming and Michelle walking backstage wiping tears, ugh

2002 I'll never forget until the ladies event all my favorites won and thinking it was going to all go my way. Then the one I wanted most of all didn't. The image of Michelle and Danny so beaten in the K&C which seemed to be going on forever. They kept cutting to her brother and sister in the stands. And after the marks the placement still having her overall temporarily first and knowing it likely wound't last. The constant showing of the wall she was behind backstage and praying harder then ever that Irina would fall and a miracle would happen with every bobble she made. It was misery.

I can't even watch her brilliant nationals performances from either year because it just reminds me of what would happen later and that's too bad because those were magical :sad21:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plushy having to withdraw from the Men's competition at Sochi, I didn't see it live and when I found out I was totally gutted (the look on his face :( )and while I recorded the rest of the figure skating events I didn't actually watch them because I was so bummed out.

Then it was followed by half of Russia tearing the guy down after everything he'd done for Russia and skating, they made it sound like he'd planned the whole thing for the LOLs or something. Calling him a 'traitor to his country' was particularly disgusting.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kwan at any Olympics
Browning at any Olympics

To be fair, Browning did really well for his rookie Olympics. He had nothing to lose and skated and placed fairly well all things considered. 1992 was a disaster, and his SP in 94 is what killed him but he went out and skated Casablanca with heart and just a couple of small (in comparison) mistakes. But I do agree with you it's heart breaking... His moment in the K&C in 1992 and Scott Hamilton is commenting on the replays of the elements and Scott says something like "that's the one that broke him" and Kurt heard him bc of where the commentary booth was and Kurt yells up "yeah, Scottie, it did"... ugh!

I'll add Timothy Goebel at the 2005 US National Short Program. Angela Nikodinov's mother had just died that week in a car accident on their way from the airport to the hotel for Nationals. Tim had a fantastic skate and held it together until his final spin where he just lost it. Being only a few rows up from the ice, I couldn't keep it together either. He was so emotionally spent. Broke my heart. Angela came to watch the competition later that week in a cast as she was also in the accident and had sustained injury. Just devastating.

Joannie Roachette skating at the Olympics having lost her mom during practices. Oy. And having Scott Hamilton commentate it all... doubly heart-wrenching. But I wouldn't have wanted to hear anyone else do it (could you imagine how stupid Tara and Johnny would have been?!)

Ashley Wagner's US Nationals this year was also pretty sad. I personally thought they were a little too harsh in the SP... but she let a lot of little mistakes add up in the LP... still sad though. Especially since she knew it wasn't enough.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
This might pale in comparison to the other heartbreaks mentioned here, but Kaetlyn Osmond's terrible free skate a few years ago at Skate Canada is a program that was very hard for me to watch, and actually what made me a bigger fan of hers (I'm a sucker for a comeback story).

As she said in the KnC after that horrific skate in her 1st GP back, ''it can only get better''. Indeed Daniel, hard to not love this girl. :love:

https://youtu.be/m4FZQRvorFU?t=353

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Still not over Michelle. Mirai in 2014 was also up there for me for heartbreaking moments.

Seeing Danny Samohin dislocate his shoulder last year at SA was pretty heartbreaking seeing how much pain he was in. Thank goodness he was OK and was in the arena the following night as a spectator.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
When Yuna stepped off the ice for the very last time I cried. When the crowd started chanting for Sotnikova while Yuna sat at the kiss and cry for the last time in her life I was heartbroken. Even though I prepared myself for the worse, when the results came in and I saw "placement: 2" I felt sick to my stomach. The SBS broadcast version panned to Yuna's mother in the crowd crying profusely with her friend try to console her. I've never felt this disgusted and heartbroken watching figure skating in my life. I never want to feel like that again.

One of the few KnCs that I'm unable to watch because of that embarrassing crowd :palmf: Yuna was classy and gracious as always and deserved so much better.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Still not over Michelle. Mirai in 2014 was also up there for me for heartbreaking moments.

Oh gosh yes. When Mirai saw her scores at the 2014 Nationals, I cried with her! :sad21:

Arbitrary

Medalist
Europeans when Kazakova crashed from the lift but somehow continued to skate, groggy. Dmitriev asked her if she is OK. They even won some medal.

And Totmyanina when she landed head first resulting in few days coma.

Chines pair board landing after the throw on Olympics.

Pairs competition is usually a kami kadze style now.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I know it ended on a high note, but Mao's (individual) 2014 Olympic short program made my heart sink :(

I still have that FS on my hard drive of my DVR and watched it the other day....I feel very fortunate to have been going to events for the last 11 years and seen her .....
The Japanese make such beautiful banners.,...Four Conts, Colorado Springs, 2012. PaulE and I were there....