What is the most heartbreaking moment in skating competition | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What is the most heartbreaking moment in skating competition

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Dube/Davison’s accident during 2007 4CC free. They got too close during their SBS spins and Bryce’s blade made contact with Jessica’s face. She needed 83 stitches but fortunately her eyes were okay. One of the most horrifying moments in competition. They were able to come back and even win the WBM the next season.

That was going to be mine also. As I sat there, in shock as everyone was, I just rememebered a bus full of kids who sat up in the balcony behind me had left just before the incident. The surgeons did a great job.
Though it was before my time, the Paul Binnebose incident haunts me...
Warning, graphic video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfihhAPBEoI

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The camera cutting to Max after Jason's scores came up in 2014 and watching those big dark eyes just...shatter. And then he pinned a smile on his face and gave Jason a thumbs-up even though he was breaking apart inside.

But worse was this year. There was not even a pinned-on-smile this year. Only sheer devastation as he desperately tried not to fall to pieces on national TV. And then one of the sweetest, nicest, most sportsmanlike, talented young men to have skated for the US left the sport without an Olympic ring, and now everyone's forgetting him.

Actually, that might be the worst. People rushing to forget him. USFS tweeting a montage and all kinds of stuff for Rippon's retirement, but Max - Max who saved their blushes at Worlds because their one of those "only worthwhile skater" kids couldn't do the job - Max just got a tweet. No montages, no widespread media coverage, nada.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh..and poor Tarasova/Morozov at the Olympics...when that 4th place popped up I actually started crying at work, I was totally devastated for them because people had bashed them so much last season and I felt like people would be crowing with glee that they'd missed the podium, I like them and their skating a lot so this felt really unfair. :(

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plushy having to withdraw from the Men's competition at Sochi, I didn't see it live and when I found out I was totally gutted (the look on his face :( )and while I recorded the rest of the figure skating events I didn't actually watch them because I was so bummed out.

Then it was followed by half of Russia tearing the guy down after everything he'd done for Russia and skating, they made it sound like he'd planned the whole thing for the LOLs or something. Calling him a 'traitor to his country' was particularly disgusting.

Ohhhhhhhhh and then five minutes later Brendan had his short program and he was crying before he was even finished. :(

LadyB

Record Breaker
1. Stolbova/Klimov at 2017 Worlds, after the most devastating SP of their career that put them into 13th place. I couldn't stop crying. They beautifully redeemed themselves by skating the third-best FP and gained 5th place after all! What an achievement!
2. When Fedor Klimov's bootlaces opened at Finlandia Trophy 2017.
3. When it became clear that Stolbova/Klimov could not go to the Olympics.
4. The utter disbelief in Brian Orser's face when Brian Boitano beat him in Calgary. I was a big fan and very sad.
5. When Toller Cranston 'only' won bronze at Innsbruck 1976 - he didn't have a hope in hell for gold as he just couldn't be bothered with compulsory figures, but I was a child, a mega fan and I was totally devastated.
6. When the whole world thought Zhenya had clinched the gold that she so deserved and it wasn't to be. My heart absolutely broke when she was sitting there crying. I hope she'll be back on top some day.

rugbyfan

On the Ice
For me Browning's short program 1994. He had moved to Toronto, stayed in another round (OK not a full for year cycle, but...), won gold again the previous year and held off Stoyko's challenge, and then kaboom. I love his free-skate but I still can't look at it again without feeling the sorrow from his short. I have never rewatched his short

There are lots of other's - some from outside reasons like Slutskaya and Joannie, some from judging controversies (or ones I perceived as judging controversies - I still find Riverdance the most memorable program from 1998), Mao in 2014 is right up there, Brian Orser in 1988, but 1994 Kurt was my all time moment of figure skating heartbreak.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Not sure if it qualifies as heartbreaking, because she was back competing a couple of months later. But, it was certainly worrying for those of us that were watching:

Elisabetta Leccardi's fall in the 2015 Lombardia Trophy FS

She had really impressed me the previous times I had seen her that season (including the SP at the same competition). So, seeing this very promising young skater lying there on the ice needing medical attention was heartbreaking to say the least.

Thankfully her injuries were not anywhere near as bad as I had feared.

We will see her competing in Senior Ladies at the Italian Championships in a couple of weeks, where she will hopefully be one of the skaters who is challenging for the Europeans and Worlds slots.

CaroLiza_fan

combo

Rinkside
The anguish on Samohin's face as he held his shoulder after that fall at 2017 Skate America is something hard to forget.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kurt apologizing @ the 1994 Olympics.:cry:

Karne, I agree with you re: the look of devastation on Max's face. Thank goodness his 2017/2018 season ended in such a positive way (Medalling @ 4CC, and getting the chance to skate @ Worlds, skating well, and contributing to securing 3 spots for the US men for 2019 Worlds). :thank: :ghug:

Heartbroken for Todd @ 1998 Olympics - happily his 1998 Worlds experience & @ the Goodwill Games went so much better!

The deaths of Sergei Grinkov & Denis Ten

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
It is pretty recent, but my heart broke for North Koreans in Grenoble, seeing especially Ju Sik Kim's look of utter devastation after announcing their 4th place finish... :(

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Not sure if it qualifies as heartbreaking, because she was back competing a couple of months later. But, it was certainly worrying for those of us that were watching:

Elisabetta Leccardi's fall in the 2015 Lombardia Trophy FS

She had really impressed me the previous times I had seen her that season (including the SP at the same competition). So, seeing this very promising young skater lying there on the ice needing medical attention was heartbreaking to say the least.

Thankfully her injuries were not anywhere near as bad as I had feared.

We will see her competing in Senior Ladies at the Italian Championships in a couple of weeks, where she will hopefully be one of the skaters who is challenging for the Europeans and Worlds slots.

CaroLiza_fan
Sadly, Elisabetta has started the season with an injury and since then her performances were very poorly. I don't think we'll see her at the Euros, at least this season, even with the uncertainties over Caro's presence and Giada Russo's change of discipline ( dance with a spanish skater ).

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sadly, Elisabetta has started the season with an injury and since then her performances were very poorly. I don't think we'll see her at the Euros, at least this season, even with the uncertainties over Caro's presence and Giada Russo's change of discipline ( dance with a spanish skater ).

Ah. I didn't realise she was injured. I did have a look at her results earlier, and noticed her scores were a lot lower than normal. But, I just put it down to normal early season teething issues.

Well, she's young enough to come back into the running next season.

Hang on, Giada's switched to Dance???!!! :jaw: I didn't see that one coming! :shocked:

Anyway, I need to stop getting distracted and return to the scoring! :laugh:

(I'm not sure how far on I am putting the predictions in, but I passed you a good while ago).

CaroLiza_fan

LindaTNo1

Rinkside
The unexpected tragic deaths of Pairs skater Sergei Grinkov and Denis Ten. Grand Prix season this year, 2018 dedicated to the memory of Denis Ten.

LindaTNo1

Rinkside
Worlds in an Olympics year is flat and frankly a little boring. Fatigue, I guess. Needed Yuzu and Javi to put a spark in the competition.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Mikhail Kolyada's Oly Team event SP and all that followed - how anyone can come back from that? But he did and earned 9 points for his team in the LP two days later

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh - not huge in the grand scheme of things, but poor Diana Nikitina's total nervous collapse in the SP at Europeans last season. She was so devastated.

Zen98

Spectator
When Evgenia realized she wasn't the olympic champion. My heart still breaks every time