What is the most heartbreaking moment in skating competition | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What is the most heartbreaking moment in skating competition

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Mao 12th at her last nats. You can see that she had completely lost the confidence. She was landing 3As in warm-ups.

GGFan

Record Breaker
One of the things I'm loving about this thread is that it really explains where posters are coming from. When fan wars break out it ultimately comes down to a lot of caring for and identifying with the skaters. We love the sport and we want them to do their best. :ghug:

I do remember a GS poster once giving me a different perspective (I do not remember whom) on the pain. I think I was discussing how it took me almost 20 years to rewatch Michelle's 1998 Olympics performance. She reminded me that disappointment is a part of life so seeing those kinds of events is actually a good lesson for us all.

evasorange

Final Flight
It was really sad at the time, but now it’s just completely heartbreaking-when Denis Ten didn’t qualify for the Olympic free skate this year 💔 I was there and was disappointed in his short and when he didn’t make the cut thought “wow that’s crazy that the reigning bronze medalist didn’t even make the free” and then pretty much forgot about it...I had no idea I was watching his last competitive skate 😭😭

Also Yuna Kim Sochi kiss and cry has to be one of the saddest kiss and cry of all time. You KNOW she knew she was being cheated out of the gold and you know she could hear the audience basically cheering for her defeat but somehow she kept her composure. I would have turned around and flipped that crowd the bird and then gone to the press and said things that aren’t printable on this website 😬

Ali81

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
The denial of a second olympic gold to Yuna Kim . Every time you watch the performances at Sochi , the sheer gulf in class between her and Sotnikova is quite astounding .That the such an egregious injustice was allowed to take place is surely one of the nadirs of this sport .

enzet

On the Ice
As has already been mentioned several times, Mao at the Sochi Olympics both the SP and the FS.

But I'd also like to add Mao's withdrawal from the GPF in 2011. That was a true heartbreak far beyond the scope of a figure skating competition.

Which also reminds me of Joannie Rochette in Vancouver...:sad21:

gonewiththewind25

Final Flight
Evgenia at the Olympics. It was so evident that that girl gave every single fibre of her being and her soul to that performance. Her reaction in the Kiss and Cry saying that she gave it everything was the most heartbreaking. I can't even think about watching that again because my heart breaks even when I think about it.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The camera cutting to Max after Jason's scores came up in 2014 and watching those big dark eyes just...shatter. And then he pinned a smile on his face and gave Jason a thumbs-up even though he was breaking apart inside.

But worse was this year. There was not even a pinned-on-smile this year. Only sheer devastation as he desperately tried not to fall to pieces on national TV. And then one of the sweetest, nicest, most sportsmanlike, talented young men to have skated for the US left the sport without an Olympic ring, and now everyone's forgetting him.

Actually, that might be the worst. People rushing to forget him. USFS tweeting a montage and all kinds of stuff for Rippon's retirement, but Max - Max who saved their blushes at Worlds because their one of those "only worthwhile skater" kids couldn't do the job - Max just got a tweet. No montages, no widespread media coverage, nada.

Max always was a classy guy. But if you didn't feel for him, then you have no heart, just a muscle that pumps blood around your cold cold body.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Maybe not the most by the one that makes me cry... Yuzuru's Requiem at the Boston 2016 gala, now we know that he truly believed (due the the injury) that that was quite probably the last time he would skate in competition... combined with the underlying theme of tragedy in the piece.

Sam L

Medalist
Herma Szabo losing the '27 Worlds in a controversial judging by Norwegian judges to Henie. She retired after that.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evgenia at the Olympics. It was so evident that that girl gave every single fibre of her being and her soul to that performance. Her reaction in the Kiss and Cry saying that she gave it everything was the most heartbreaking. I can't even think about watching that again because my heart breaks even when I think about it.

Me too. :cry: I cried with her.

rinkside_user

On the Ice
Slutskaya's free skate in Turin 2006. After an effervescent yet safe short she was a nervous wreck from start to finish at a stage where she was the heavy favorite. As Scott Hamilton said, on any other day her speciality of 3L with the 3-turn transition entry wouldn't have been a problem but on that day it was. I remember well how devastated I felt.

labgoat

Female thinker deep in various thoughts
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To me it has to be seeing Evgenia cry after the scores were shown at the Olympics. I was happy for Alina but my heart literally broke for Zhenya...

I felt the same way about this and when Tara won and Michelle was second. I also was happy for Sarah Hughes and sad for both Michelle & Irina.

noskates

Record Breaker
For me it was Michelle Kwan losing the Gold Medal at the Olympics. If you looked at body of work (which you can't of course) the OGM should have been hers. Just a bad skate. But then to watch her skate to Fields of Gold with tears streaming down her face................:sad4:

rlopen

On the Ice
Carolina’s perfect opportunity to get at least a medal at 2018 worlds but just falling short in the free.
Yuna being robbed of a rightful gold medal.
Mao at Sochi.
Gracie at 2018 Rostelecom.
Mirai’s exhibition at 2014 Nats.
Gubanova being shafted for Konstantinova by RusFed at Nationals.
Pogorilaya’s FS at Skate Canada
Pogorilaya’s FS at 2017 Worlds

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We were talking about Irina Rodnina on the Legacy thread, but she also had a heartbreaking moment.

After the World Championships, following her first Olympic title in 1972, her partner Alexei Ulanov whispered in her ear as they were taking their bows. Irina fell apart.

It turns out that he was in love with another Russian pair skater, and he dissolved the partnership with Irina to pair with his new love. Their WC title moment was punctuated with her sobbing uncontrollably as he led her off the ice.

Of course, as we know, Irina weathered the storm rather well with new partner Alexander Zaitsev. Ulanov didn't do too shabby either. He took two WC silver medals with his new partner.