What is the most heartbreaking moment in skating competition | Page 5 | Golden Skate

What is the most heartbreaking moment in skating competition

heyheyhey

Final Flight
We were talking about Irina Rodnina on the Legacy thread, but she also had a heartbreaking moment.

After the World Championships, following her first Olympic title in 1972, her partner Alexei Ulanov whispered in her ear as they were taking their bows. Irina fell apart.

It turns out that he was in love with another Russian pair skater, and he dissolved the partnership with Irina to pair with his new love. Their WC title moment was punctuated with her sobbing uncontrollably as he led her off the ice.

Of course, as we know, Irina weathered the storm rather well with new partner Alexander Zaitsev. Ulanov didn't do too shabby either. He took two WC silver medals with his new partner.

What? Why would he choice that time to tell her that? That’s just so unnecessarily dramatic and ridiculous, he couldn’t wait until they got home?

Imagine

Medalist
At the time, this...

But having been witness to all the evil, hateful, individuals that crawled out of the woodwork following what actually happened that night...maybe it was for the best.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Herma Szabo losing the '27 Worlds in a controversial judging by Norwegian judges to Henie. She retired after that.

She was a hoss. Won the 1925 World Championships in singles and pairs skating. When was the last time you saw anybody even compete in both at the same competition?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
She was a hoss. Won the 1925 World Championships in singles and pairs skating. When was the last time you saw anybody even compete in both at the same competition?

*walks in*

*drops all four of the Dodds brothers at your feet*

*walks out*

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
*walks in*

*drops all four of the Dodds brothers at your feet*

*walks out*

Placing 3rd and 5th at Warsaw cup is not really the same as being Ladies and Pairs World Champion :laugh:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
When Yuna stepped off the ice for the very last time I cried. When the crowd started chanting for Sotnikova while Yuna sat at the kiss and cry for the last time in her life I was heartbroken. Even though I prepared myself for the worse, when the results came in and I saw "placement: 2" I felt sick to my stomach. The SBS broadcast version panned to Yuna's mother in the crowd crying profusely with her friend try to console her. I've never felt this disgusted and heartbroken watching figure skating in my life. I never want to feel like that again.

This, also. <//////////////////////////////////////////////////////3

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Placing 3rd and 5th at Warsaw cup is not really the same as being Ladies and Pairs World Champion :laugh:

And skating with all the nations we have today in all the many comps we have today is not the same as competing in 1925:laugh:

The original question was anyone *competing at skating* and @Karne answered that.:biggrin:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

The remark was skating. Level or results were not defined. And Andrew did both men's and dance at 4CC this year if you want to be ISU Championship only, and likely will again.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
And skating with all the nations we have today in all the many comps we have today is not the same as competing in 1925:laugh:

It is impossible for skaters to be at the level they are today back in the 1920's. Impossible. Every facet of skating -from the boots, blades, ice conditions, what was thought to be physically possible, etc., -simply was not up to par with what it is today. I am sure if Herma were competing under 2018 conditions, she'd be an even greater skater than she was nearly 100 years ago- and she was already the best in the world in two disciplines ;)

Warwick360

Medalist
When Yuna stepped off the ice for the very last time I cried. When the crowd started chanting for Sotnikova while Yuna sat at the kiss and cry for the last time in her life I was heartbroken. Even though I prepared myself for the worse, when the results came in and I saw "placement: 2" I felt sick to my stomach. The SBS broadcast version panned to Yuna's mother in the crowd crying profusely with her friend try to console her. I've never felt this disgusted and heartbroken watching figure skating in my life. I never want to feel like that again.

That very moment is still jarring for me to this day. Sochi, solely for that outcome, is an Olympic I don't even want to rate.

On a different note, Hanyu breaking down in K&C after LP in CoC 2014 was truly soul crushing. To give what he gave after that collision and after each fall was truly a moment of admiration.

Warwick360

Medalist
ROSS MINER. Almost forgot him. Him, being snubbed and being placed as fifth in line for the Olympics, despite coming 2nd, is what will make me never follow US Nationals anymore. If results at Nationals have no influence on who is going and not going, then what's the point following it anymore?

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Michelle '98 Oly. If only she had skated after Tara....maybe. The boot change, the lose of the 3/3. I couldn't eat for several days. Yeah.
Michelle '02 Oly if only she hadn't fallen on the flip.

Mao '14 Oly SP. Her LP was the best.

Naomi L and Peter T not being given the marks they deserved.

Akiko S not getting silver when she deserved it over Leonova at Worlds.

Jenny Kirk falling in her SP at Worlds,

Nathan at '18 Oly SP in both rounds.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
in random order

Patrick Chan Sochi... after a not so good skate by Hanyu, Patrick landed two gorgeous quads... all he needed to do is skate an Okay program... but he kept doubting and thinking and doubling jumps.... in the end, Yuzuru's win mostly came down on the SP lead... (though he did also win marginally the FP as well) Under the new rules, Patrick would have won the FP easily as quad falls are very costly now.

Kurt Browning and Olympics

Josée Chouinard had two very big disastrous moments : when Tonya harding ruined Josee's olympic moment, forcing her to skate ealrly
another one was when she lost the world berth to jennifer robinson.. Josee won a medal at GPF but didn't make it to home worlds.

Marie-France and Patrice : the lost grip at the Olympics

Weapo losing the world title by a hair.

Joannie

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
While I don't have bitter feelings against either the results or any particular skater in the ladies event at Nagano, the image of Danny Kwan's angst-ridden face while waiting for Tara Lipinski's mark (effectively the final verdict), followed by the latter's exultant shriek at her triumph in the K&C, made me feel heartbroken for Michelle. Not that Tara's feeling joy was beyond the pale, by any means.