Alaska Quake | Golden Skate

Alaska Quake

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I feel bad not checking in sooner as a few of you asked after me. Yes I felt that lovely little 7.2 Earthquake this morning, and we're all fine. Kenai is about a 3 hour drive south of Anchorage so we were a little further away. Anchorage, Eagle River, and Wasilla all got hit really hard as they were all around the epicenter. If you're a fan of Keegan Messing, Girdwood is right outside of Anchorage and there was a rock slide that's shut the road down in and out of Anchorage so fingers crossed he either wasn't in town or doesn't need to get to Anchorage any time soon.

My house is fine, minor damage. One support beam does have a crack, but it's an easy fix.

Please keep Anchorage/Eagle River/Wasilla and their surrounding areas in your thoughts. A lot of damage (roads are gone, rock slides, fires, etc). It could have been SO much worse than it was.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel bad not checking in sooner as a few of you asked after me. Yes I felt that lovely little 7.2 Earthquake this morning, and we're all fine. Kenai is about a 3 hour drive south of Anchorage so we were a little further away. Anchorage, Eagle River, and Wasilla all got hit really hard as they were all around the epicenter. If you're a fan of Keegan Messing, Girdwood is right outside of Anchorage and there was a rock slide that's shut the road down in and out of Anchorage so fingers crossed he either wasn't in town or doesn't need to get to Anchorage any time soon.

My house is fine, minor damage. One support beam does have a crack, but it's an easy fix.

Please keep Anchorage/Eagle River/Wasilla and their surrounding areas in your thoughts. A lot of damage (roads are gone, rock slides, fires, etc). It could have been SO much worse than it was.

Keep us posted. And thank goodness you are safe and your house is fine.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I was thinking about you Toni when I heard about the quake. I am glad you are safe. Thanks for ckecking in.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Glad you’re safe Tonichelle!

Prayers for everyone affected:pray:

lady_bee

Medalist
I am glad to know you are safe Tonichelle. As someone who experienced The Great East Japan Earthquake 2011, I feel deep sympathy for you and those who living in the affected area.
I wish for a speedy recovery:pray:

Interspectator

Record Breaker

I'm so glad you are ok.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toni, so glad you're OK. When I heard about the quake I thought of you and then they mentioned that Kenai is south of Anchorage so was hoping that you still were living in Kenai. Thanks for posting.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Glad you & your family (and Keegan & family) are OK! Prayers for all who were affected by this!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I too thought about you first thing...I am so old I remember the quake of 1964. We live on the ring of fire! Interesting that an Alaskan volcano blew a week or two before the quake. We were going to have you throw some virgins into it to appease the skating gods for our favorite skaters...best wishes during the aftershock period.
The biggest quake I saw was a 5.4. I had gotten drunk the night before as I dropped out of engineering and was disappointed in myself...so there I was, at 11:02am, leaning against an elevator shaft waiting, with a hangover, and the building started to shake.:laugh2:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Illinois_earthquake

Little did I know that leaving engineering was the best thing that ever happened to me!

PLEASE KEEP US UP TO DATE. Must be terrible feeling the aftershocks and not knowing.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
(Aftershocks are still going on but at this point I doubt that Toni is in any danger...no more than usual, anyway.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sorry I didn't get on my laptop much this weekend. Kenai's barely felt a few of the aftershocks, but I'm still taking nighttime precautions and sleeping in heavier PJs than I normally do just incase we have to get out of the house. I'm okay during the day but night is a little unnerving (the big quake we had 3 years ago was in the middle of the night and Kenai got hit way harder that time).

Speaking of Volcanos, I have 3 in view of my town almost daily (they're quite a ways away but...) and they puff steam frequently... Illiamna has had a lot of seismic activity as of late. I've been waiting for one of our volcanos to blow. The ones on the Aleutian Chain like to blow up all the time...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Sorry I didn't get on my laptop much this weekend. Kenai's barely felt a few of the aftershocks, but I'm still taking nighttime precautions and sleeping in heavier PJs than I normally do just incase we have to get out of the house. I'm okay during the day but night is a little unnerving (the big quake we had 3 years ago was in the middle of the night and Kenai got hit way harder that time).

Speaking of Volcanos, I have 3 in view of my town almost daily (they're quite a ways away but...) and they puff steam frequently... Illiamna has had a lot of seismic activity as of late. I've been waiting for one of our volcanos to blow. The ones on the Aleutian Chain like to blow up all the time...

OK, everyone, Toni is all in about bull dozing virgins into the volcanos to appease the arena gods at GPF! :agree:
Everyone and every place seems to have its hazards....the east has Nor' esters, Florida and others have tropical storms...the mid west its tornados...and we have the ring of fire as well as wild fire. Did your phone alert you to the danger? Probably not enough warning time....earth quakes dont warn alot most of the time....Good luck! I ride my bike to Mt St Helens Nat Monument...well worth the trip....but I always stock quality Hepa N100 face masks while riding and here at home....you never know....(went to S. Alaska last 2 years...loved it.) Watch out for those volcanos!
From the Mt. Baker area.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My dad's old man flip phone was the only one who got one of the automated warnings. It was for the Tsunami alert, which we were never in any danger of (Chances are if Kenai or Anchorage actually are in danger of a Tsunami, then basically Northern Canada will suddenly have ocean front property :laugh: ) We are on the coast, but we're far enough up the inlet that we are protected from the huge waves that devastate populations. Just stay off the beach until the danger passes. Even then it's not half as dangerous as say Homer where some of it is at sea level.

Mt Redoubt is the most active of our volcanoes.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
My dad's old man flip phone was the only one who got one of the automated warnings. It was for the Tsunami alert, which we were never in any danger of (Chances are if Kenai or Anchorage actually are in danger of a Tsunami, then basically Northern Canada will suddenly have ocean front property :laugh: ) We are on the coast, but we're far enough up the inlet that we are protected from the huge waves that devastate populations. Just stay off the beach until the danger passes. Even then it's not half as dangerous as say Homer where some of it is at sea level.

Mt Redoubt is the most active of our volcanoes.

Pretty mountain! If you ever want to get really scared, just think that I was responsible for maintaining the NOAA emergency weather alert system for Spokane as well as the other alert systems you may have seen tested on TV for 8 countys, as well as maintaining the State of WA Tsunami warning network , with my comrades.....it scared ME!
I hope the feral govt get the WEA system bugs worked out....it could really help.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Emergency_Alerts