Blue Skies, LT Bush... | Golden Skate

Blue Skies, LT Bush...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
May he rest in peace:pray:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He lost his crew on his last mission.....my uncle, a B17 Pilot, lost his navigator due to flak....it was very hard on him as it was his best friend....
Now George is back with his crew....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ILB8gXAu0c

I did not know he lost his crew, and I am also sorry for your uncle:sad21:

My father in law was a career Navy pilot. He started out as an enlisted man in. WWII doing whatever enlisted men do in planes, he was shot down over the Pacific, they flew a battered plane from island to island until they reached Australia. As a "reward" for surviving, the Navy took him off the forward lines and sent him to flight school. He died with the bullets still in his back, they could not be removed.

War is hell.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I did not know he lost his crew, and I am also sorry for your uncle:sad21:

My father in law was a career Navy pilot. He started out as an enlisted man in. WWII doing whatever enlisted men do in planes, he was shot down over the Pacific, they flew a battered plane from island to island until they reached Australia. As a "reward" for surviving, the Navy took him off the forward lines and sent him to flight school. He died with the bullets still in his back, they could not be removed.

War is hell.

Thank you for your thoughts and feelings. Uncle Howard was shot down over Austria but his whole crew survived the POW Camps and he did just fine after the war.
Very interesting story about your father in law. If you would like, PM me as much of his history as you care to share. Enlisted men might be flight crew...a rear gunner, perhaps...or into aircraft maintenance, bomb loading, refueling, etc.
War IS Hell. But family and US Military History needs to be preserved if one is from the US.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
41 was one of the good ones. :love: May he rest in peace, and may his family rejoice in his being reunited with their matriarch.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for your thoughts and feelings. Uncle Howard was shot down over Austria but his whole crew survived the POW Camps and he did just fine after the war.
Very interesting story about your father in law. If you would like, PM me as much of his history as you care to share. Enlisted men might be flight crew...a rear gunner, perhaps...or into aircraft maintenance, bomb loading, refueling, etc.
War IS Hell. But family and US Military History needs to be preserved if one is from the US.

Thank you Chris, I asked spousal unit, and he said Father-in-Law was a “radioman” before he went to flight school. That’s how he ended up shot, because the radio equipment was near the fusillage in the back of the plane? FIL actually did write it all down and gave talks in schools in his later years. As my spousal unit is a lifetime academic in the humanities, no one would expect him to know so much about the military. But he “served” 18 years.;)

You are right that all history should be preserved:agree:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:love: May he rest in peace, and may his family rejoice in his being reunited with their matriarch.

I can see Barbara grinning from ear to ear with arms wide open waiting for her man!!

I was so touched when I saw George W. fighting back the tears.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thank you Chris, I asked spousal unit, and he said Father-in-Law was a “radioman” before he went to flight school. That’s how he ended up shot, because the radio equipment was near the fusillage in the back of the plane? FIL actually did write it all down and gave talks in schools in his later years. As my spousal unit is a lifetime academic in the humanities, no one would expect him to know so much about the military. But he “served” 18 years.;)

Good for your father in law and good for the schools....I am now curious as to what aircraft he flew in and off of what ship......?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I can see Barbara grinning from ear to ear with arms wide open waiting for her man!!

I was so touched when I saw George W. fighting back the tears.

The news is giving alot of good info about 41 that I had forgotten about (and to avoid the delete gremlin, I wont mention the "untruths" being told on TV about him) but I did order the book "Flyboys, a true story of courage" about his mission where he got shot down and about all the other Naval air crews that lost their lives trying to take out that LF radio station on Chichi Jima . Bush went back to the Island with the book author....he was very moved....and I am moved by him and his life.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

The TBM Avenger, the same plane Bush flew, is the only Navy plane of the period that was a carrier plane that had a radioman in back. A number had gunners. Hope your family has the history well preserved...I take our family's history and give it to WWII Air Force Historians to put on websites and Web pages. It helps to digitize any pics and docs and spread them around to family members.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The TBM Avenger, the same plane Bush flew, is the only Navy plane of the period that was a carrier plane that had a radioman in back. A number had gunners. Hope your family has the history well preserved...I take our family's history and give it to WWII Air Force Historians to put on websites and Web pages. It helps to digitize any pics and docs and spread them around to family members.

Those are good ideas; now I need to find the written speeches, since they are put in a “safe place”, and Like alll safe places, I need to remember it :laugh: and I don’t know the plane or the ship. I do know his last posting, at Pax River (Patuxent NS, Maryland) he was a test pilot and not allowed to say anything about the planes ;)

And back to 41, a very touching service today. And I loved the photos of “Sully” the service dog earlier this week; rthey brought a tear to my eye.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Those are good ideas; now I need to find the written speeches, since they are put in a “safe place”, and Like alll safe places, I need to remember it :laugh: and I don’t know the plane or the ship. I do know his last posting, at Pax River (Patuxent NS, Maryland) he was a test pilot and not allowed to say anything about the planes ;)

And back to 41, a very touching service today. And I loved the photos of “Sully” the service dog earlier this week; rthey brought a tear to my eye.

Yes, I was very moved also......but of course we are dog people......

You probably dont know this but only the creme of the crop get to go on to Pax Flight test, and test pilot school.....many died in the 1950s there but they also produced astronaughts.....very elite flight test center like Edwards AFB.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Air_Station_Patuxent_River
It is heavily documented in the book "The Right Stuff". FIL was of course sworn to secrecy but now all that technology is as old as the dial telephone.....
John Glenn and many other astronaughts are graduates of Pax River.......