Boot and foot type advice | Golden Skate

Boot and foot type advice

Sam L

Medalist
I’ve been Jackson Freestyles for the last two years and I’ll be needing new boots probably in the next 6 months. My question is should I stick with Jackson or change to Edea given my foot type.

I have bunions they’re not severe but I have them on both feet. I had someone punch out my Jacksons. I don’t have wide feet just bunions so the medium width was fine I just needed space in spaecific areas.

I have very flat feet. Even after punching out they were still uncomfortable so I saw a podiatrist and he put cushions under the soles in specific areas and since then they’ve been fine.

Given these two problems and the adjustments I’ll need what do you think about Edea?

The only reason I ask is I did some research and apparently Jackson toe boxes are more for feet with big toes having same length as other toes. I don’t. I have a Greek foot which is the second toe being longest. It’s a very pointy feet. Also Jackson is more for medium or high arches? I like that Edea is quite customisable.

I just don’t like how Edea looks cheap. I know it’s about lightweight and technology but having been in Jackson leather I do like that support. However Edea is very comfortable?

Any advice? Happy to look at other brands too but these are the most accessible ones for me.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’ve been Jackson Freestyles for the last two years and I’ll be needing new boots probably in the next 6 months. My question is should I stick with Jackson or change to Edea given my foot type.

I have bunions they’re not severe but I have them on both feet. I had someone punch out my Jacksons. I don’t have wide feet just bunions so the medium width was fine I just needed space in spaecific areas.

I have very flat feet. Even after punching out they were still uncomfortable so I saw a podiatrist and he put cushions under the soles in specific areas and since then they’ve been fine.

Given these two problems and the adjustments I’ll need what do you think about Edea?

The only reason I ask is I did some research and apparently Jackson toe boxes are more for feet with big toes having same length as other toes. I don’t. I have a Greek foot which is the second toe being longest. It’s a very pointy feet. Also Jackson is more for medium or high arches? I like that Edea is quite customisable.

I just don’t like how Edea looks cheap. I know it’s about lightweight and technology but having been in Jackson leather I do like that support. However Edea is very comfortable?

Any advice? Happy to look at other brands too but these are the most accessible ones for me.

We have similar shaped foot (toes my second one is longer too) and I wear Jacksons, you may have to look at semi-customs. Look into Risport too. I hated Edea.

zjamic

Rinkside
I have very wide feet 😞 - like Edea E width large. My last pair of boots were Jacksons and they were okay, but my feet still hurt regardless. I switched to Edea a few months back and have been enjoying them ever since - tho the smaller blade was a slight adjustment, but now it seems natural. I found the Edea extremely comfortable and light compared to my Jacksons, IMHO. Also, I thought the Edea footbed was extremely flat compared to my Jacksons and had to amend it with Superfeet

However, I do know that Edea may work for me and others, but may not work for you. Try them at the skate shop and if they feel good then go for it, especially if the skate tech recommends them because they typically mnkw best for your feet. I went through at least 2 (i can't remember what brand my boots were when I was little) different brands before I found Edea.

Good luck!

Sam L

Medalist
We have similar shaped foot (toes my second one is longer too) and I wear Jacksons, you may have to look at semi-customs. Look into Risport too. I hated Edea.

Hey, sorry I didn't respond sooner but I was thinking about what you said. Semi-customs never occurred to me but why not go to the trouble in the first place right rather than trying to get the boot fixed later. The only appeal with Edea for me is the flexibility of the boot. Thanks for your feedback but I'm leaning more towards Jackson now. I'll talk to the Jackson people and see what they can do for semi-customs.

I have very wide feet �� - like Edea E width large. My last pair of boots were Jacksons and they were okay, but my feet still hurt regardless. I switched to Edea a few months back and have been enjoying them ever since - tho the smaller blade was a slight adjustment, but now it seems natural. I found the Edea extremely comfortable and light compared to my Jacksons, IMHO. Also, I thought the Edea footbed was extremely flat compared to my Jacksons and had to amend it with Superfeet

However, I do know that Edea may work for me and others, but may not work for you. Try them at the skate shop and if they feel good then go for it, especially if the skate tech recommends them because they typically mnkw best for your feet. I went through at least 2 (i can't remember what brand my boots were when I was little) different brands before I found Edea.

Good luck!

Thanks for your feedback. My concern with Edea is that I think how it feels on the ice may be very different to how it feels before I buy it even if I can try it on. I'm not sure if it's worth the risk. But thanks for letting me know.

Nimyue

On the Ice
Something else you should consider before going to a new style Jackson or Edea... your Freestyles are probably the old style boots with a normal heel rise. The new high heel might bother you, but that will be the same with Jackson as Edea.

You might want to go to a fitter and start from scratch. With your shape foot, you might like Riedells, you can also look at GAM which is similar to jackson but the toebox is slightly narrower. If you want to go really fancy, getting a custom skate is always an option (Harlick, SP teri etc).

Sam L

Medalist
Something else you should consider before going to a new style Jackson or Edea... your Freestyles are probably the old style boots with a normal heel rise. The new high heel might bother you, but that will be the same with Jackson as Edea.

You might want to go to a fitter and start from scratch. With your shape foot, you might like Riedells, you can also look at GAM which is similar to jackson but the toebox is slightly narrower. If you want to go really fancy, getting a custom skate is always an option (Harlick, SP teri etc).

The new high heels are only for fusions right? Yes, I'm on the old Jackson Freestyles. If I'm going to go semi-custom, I was going to go with the Elites. Are these high heel also?

Maddie S

Spectator
I have very wide feet 😞 - like Edea E width large. My last pair of boots were Jacksons and they were okay, but my feet still hurt regardless. I switched to Edea a few months back and have been enjoying them ever since - tho the smaller blade was a slight adjustment, but now it seems natural. I found the Edea extremely comfortable and light compared to my Jacksons, IMHO. Also, I thought the Edea footbed was extremely flat compared to my Jacksons and had to amend it with Superfeet

However, I do know that Edea may work for me and , but may not work for you. Try them at the skate shop and if they feel good then go for it, especially if the skate tech recommends them because they typically mnkw best for your feet. I went through at least 2 (i can't remember what brand my boots were when I was little) different brands before I found Edea.

Good luck!
Hi! I've just found this thread but I'm looking to get a pair of Edea Overtures. I obviously can't get to a skate shop right now but I also have super wide feet! I wondered if you'd be willing to share you feet measurements for me to make some comparisons with my own sizing? You're the closest I've found to a sizing chart for Edea E width.

Maddie S

Spectator
Hi! I've just found this thread but I'm looking to get a pair of Edea Overtures. I obviously can't get to a skate shop right now but I also have super wide feet! I wondered if you'd be willing to share you feet measurements for me to make some comparisons with my own sizing? You're the closest I've found to a sizing chart for Edea E width.
Oh I'm also going from Jackson Artistes to Edea, but I don't know the width of my Jacksons so I'm assuming they're standard (C?).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh I'm also going from Jackson Artistes to Edea, but I don't know the width of my Jacksons so I'm assuming they're standard (C?).
You are probably not going to work with an Edea if you foot is good in a Jackson. You really need to get fitted to make sure everything is right for your foot.

shumaislife

Rinkside
I have wide feet (wider at the balls and narrow at heels), and I was fitted for Jackson Freestyles in 7C/D. Artistes might have fit your wide feet because they are flexible recreational skates. Higher level (read: stiffer) skates will not have that give, so it's super important to get ones with the right length and width.

I'd say feel free to try on Edeas in standard C width in case it's for you. I tried them on myself, despite my wide feet. But if Jacksons fit you perfectly, Edeas will be too narrow and very painful.

zjamic

Rinkside
My left foot is a solid 10" and my right is 10-3/8". My current boot is Edea Concerto 245 E width. My feet are fairly wide, think Flintstone feet, with extra bones (accessory navicular syndrome) that make it somewhat harder to find comfortable boots without a lot of breaking in at heat molding involved.. Honestly, it was luck that I even happened upon my skates because the skate tech at the time had them in stock due to another skater that placed the order for them but never came back to pay and get them. If it wasn't for the Edea then I'm pretty sure I would have gotten customs from Riedell.

Please go to a skate shop where a skate tech can measure your feet and make the proper recommendations. If you are interested in Edea then go to the skate tech that is familiar with the brand. You won't know until you try them on: they could feel amazing or be quite the opposite.

Good luck