Chess anyone? | Golden Skate

Chess anyone?

Chess is generally recognized as the sister sport to figure skating. They both require a blend of artistic finesse and smash-mouth aggression. :yes: The world championship was just completed, with defending champ Norwegian Magnus Carlsen prevailing over challenger Fabiano Caruana of the U.S.

https://photos.state.gov/galleries/moscow/29754/kwan/7.html

Oh wait. That was the wrong picture. That was a U.S. sports envoy spreading good cheer at the chess museum in the Republic of Kalmykia in 2007. Here is the recent championship match.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46376998

For the first time ever, the 12 games in regulation all ended in draws. Carlsen won in sudden death overtime at speed chess.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
King’s Bishop opening every time....I haven’t played in years though. It’s hard to find people who play and can understand the game because most of my friends prefer shooting style video games :yawn:

I’ve always considered golf to be the sister sporting chess though :devil: A good golfer knows several holes and shots in advance when they can make their move but most importantly the moves they first must achieve before making it. I can see the comparison with figure skating though. :)

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Go vs Chess Sun Tzu's Art of War

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Xvxop_cFc

Hypothosis: Reason we lost the war in Vietnam... western generals used military strategy based on Chess.. Vietnam leaders came to the conflict from Go perspective

Plausible? Who can say... (no expert here; I always lose :biggrin: ..)

Go vs Chess Sun Tzu's Art of War

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Xvxop_cFc

Hypothosis: Reason we lost the war in Vietnam... western generals used military strategy based on Chess.. Vietnam leaders came to the conflict from Go perspective.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

And now, to bring it all together. Michelle Kwan's chess game pictured in the first reference above continued (this is true) with the very Go-like second move for black, a6. (1. e4 c6 2. nf3 a6?!) Either Michelle doesn't know what she is doing, or she is such a crafty student of the game that she has mastered this obscure counterintuitive variation. :biggrin:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Look at her face!! She's knows exactly what she's doing.. like the cat stalking the canary... :agree2:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
King’s Bishop opening every time....I haven’t played in years though. It’s hard to find people who play and can understand the game because most of my friends prefer shooting style video games :yawn:

I’ve always considered golf to be the sister sporting chess though :devil: A good golfer knows several holes and shots in advance when they can make their move but most importantly the moves they first must achieve before making it. I can see the comparison with figure skating though. :)

Haven't played chess in years.

About all I can say for myself is I play chess better than I ice skate.

....and that ain't saying much.

One thing that sticks in my mind from way back is "Ruy Lopez Defense" - but's that's because it sounded funny.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haven't played chess in years.

About all I can say for myself is I play chess better than I ice skate.

....and that ain't saying much.

One thing that sticks in my mind from way back is "Ruy Lopez Defense" - but's that's because it sounded funny.

I used to struggle setting up the game. I knew where all the pieces went except the king and Queen. I never learned if it mattered who was on the left or right of each other. Just knew they were back row in the middle. I used to not care and sometimes the queen would be on the left side of the king and others the opposite way. Then one day my friend looked at me and said “it’s simple.....Queens dress always matches her shoes” So if you’re white you’re always start with your queen on the white space next to the king.

To this day whenever I’m discussing the art of matching outfits I frequently say that little catch phrase and pause and think for quick moment about my friend who I haven’t seen in many years :)

lesnar001

Record Breaker
How about when a Rook and the King change places?
I have totally forgotten how to do that!
Well, I'm sure my opponent would yell at me if I did it wrong.
But more likely, I would be checkmated before I even got to that point of the game :dbana:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How about when a Rook and the King change places?
I have totally forgotten how to do that!
Well, I'm sure my opponent would yell at me if I did it wrong.
But more likely, I would be checkmated before I even got to that point of the game :dbana:

That’s Called Castling and can be performed if

1)Your king has not moved!
2)Your king is NOT in check!
3)Your king does not pass through check!
4)No pieces between the king and rook!

I’m not sure if I’ve ever considered/enforced that 3rd rule. I’d imagine it is much more likley when castling to the queen’s side :think:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
That’s Called Castling and can be performed if

1)Your king has not moved!
2)Your king is NOT in check!
3)Your king does not pass through check!
4)No pieces between the king and rook!

I’m not sure if I’ve ever considered/enforced that 3rd rule. I’d imagine it is much more likley when castling to the queens side :think:

Thank you.

About all I rememberd was that it was an important move because it helped "hide" the king and brought the rook into play.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
:bow: :bow: :bow:

And now, to bring it all together. Michelle Kwan's chess game pictured in the first reference above continued (this is true) with the very Go-like second move for black, a6. (1. e4 c6 2. nf3 a6?!) Either Michelle doesn't know what she is doing, or she is such a crafty student of the game that she has mastered this obscure counterintuitive variation. :biggrin:

Here is the picture of her intended second move. :luv17:
http://www.kalmykia.net/2007/goodwi...ngshan-kwan-visited-the-republic-of-kalmykia/

I am sure she does not play chess. Her facial expression reveals it. But for the guy in the Kalmykian Chess Palace it was a big fun.