Skaters whose jump technique improved later in their careers | Golden Skate

Skaters whose jump technique improved later in their careers

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
When I saw Sima's two skates at last weekend's Tallinn Trophy
(SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6jGplDlN1Q / FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNsNQTxOu24)
I was struck by how good her jumps were, especially her 3F+3T - high, far, effortless and Ripponed. This was not the case 4 years ago, when she was at the height of her career. (A couple years back, when her then coach Plushenko claimed that Sima had the best jump technique in all of the Ladies' field, I remember being like :confused: :scratch2:. But now I can kinda see where he was coming from.)

It is impressive that through the difficult last few years and all the coaching changes, Sima has emerged with much improved jumps. Which other skaters jump out in your mind (pardon the pun) as having achieved marked improvements in their jump technique later on in their career?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Random Sima practice clip:)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq5gMvph0LQ/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=htiplnvzgd41

After some cruising around Sima does a nice 3f-3t filmed from an unusual angle. It sort of offers a different perspective. The biggest thing I look for in jumps is a confident landing.

She still has an unorthodox style but many of jumps really have improved and the height she is getting and lack of UR is really noticeable.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Mao Asada seems to be everyone's go-to success story for a skater who really took time to re-work jumps and sacrificed winning everything for longevity. While those years of difficult results and performances were hard as a fan, the outcome at 2014 Olympics/Worlds was anything a fan could ask for!

sun110

Final Flight
I've heard the story many times but can someone elaborate the detail reasons: why did Mao re-work her jumping technic completely after 2010 Oly? Has it happened to other female skaters? Is it because her original technic didn't work as well on a matured body? If she learned the right way to jump from the beginning, can the whole painful process be avoided?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I've heard the story many times but can someone elaborate the detail reasons: why did Mao re-work her jumping technic completely after 2010 Oly? Has it happened to other female skaters?
IMO:
- Chronic URs, which meant automatic downgrades + negatives GOEs in 2006-2010 system. Real scores killers.
- Flutz that unlike others' nowadays was always called.
- -3T technique in combos. It was difficult for her to land a 3-3T. She was able to do that with Raf only.
- Low GOEs overall. Her jumps were not tiny but usually she was not getting +2 ans +3. So i think she wanted to improve the distance and maybe be able to put more transitions.

If she learned the right way to jump from the beginning, can the whole painful process be avoided?
I think so.

If she had stayed with Raf maybe she wouldn't have needed to rework completely her jump technique though.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
When I saw Sima's two skates at last weekend's Tallinn Trophy
(SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6jGplDlN1Q / FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNsNQTxOu24)
I was struck by how good her jumps were, especially her 3F+3T - high, far, effortless and Ripponed. This was not the case 4 years ago, when she was at the height of her career. (A couple years back, when her then coach Plushenko claimed that Sima had the best jump technique in all of the Ladies' field, I remember being like :confused: :scratch2:. But now I can kinda see where he was coming from.)

It is impressive that through the difficult last few years and all the coaching changes, Sima has emerged with much improved jumps. Which other skaters jump out in your mind (pardon the pun) as having achieved marked improvements in their jump technique later on in their career?

No, Plushenko didn't say that exactly. He said shortly: "The potential of jumps is very good for her, and for all other indicators it can not be written off...."no one has such a powerful skating as the Seraphima. It is really very powerful" " she jumps high" "Only to this slip must still be added the technique" -google translate

enzet

On the Ice
If my memory doesn't betray me, Joannie Rochette corrected her lutz edge to a clean outside later in her career, which is quite an achievement!
Also, Miki Ando managed to fix her lip and had a lovely flip with correct inside edge in her later years.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
No, Plushenko didn't say that exactly. He said shortly: "The potential of jumps is very good for her, and for all other indicators it can not be written off...."no one has such a powerful skating as the Seraphima. It is really very powerful" " she jumps high" "Only to this slip must still be added the technique" -google translate

You are right... I completely misremembered the quote :bang: This is embarrassing...

Here is the translated interview: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...nfinity-and-beyond.92211/page-23#post-5139626

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley Wagner added a more difficult jump at the age 23: the 3Loop-Euler-3Sal in fall of 2015. She also improved the technique on her 3F-3T, and it became very consistent for her, and her Lutz edge improved some. She'd been working with Rafael at that point for two years.

On IceTalk2 with Jackie Wong and Nick McCarvel (Nov. 28), Ashley talked about Marin Honda and how she's seeing improvement in Marin's technique with Raf (Marin is 16.) She also says that Raf teaches technique differently from any other coach she worked with. Ashley said that in competitions, it's easy for muscle memory to take over, because of the thousands of times you've done the jumps differently.
http://icetalk.libsyn.com/

For Ashley fans, her skates and triumphs at 2015 Nationals and 2016 Worlds were everything we could ask for! :love: :hap10: :hap93:

If she learned the right way to jump from the beginning, can the whole painful process be avoided?

Yes. And it's so easy to say. But most skaters are learning as they go, and learning their technique long before they know whether or not they're going to be in the ranks of elite skater.

Both Mao and Ashley learned their technique before the IJS came in, when URs were just not as important, or edge calls either.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Mirai Nagasu getting a 3A at 24yo and doing 8 triples programs.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I would add Maria Butyrskaya to this list. She was, and I believe is still the oldest world champion in history. She was around a long time but didn't win her championship until she was in her mid 20's. She landed 7 triple jumps in Helsinki and I was so proud of her.

concorde

Medalist
Mirai Nagasu getting a 3A at 24yo and doing 8 triples programs.

I think Mirai sacraficed the quality of her other program triples to get that 3A. At that time, several posters expressed similar comments on this board.