Arm/hand landing postion | Golden Skate

Arm/hand landing postion

theflutzdetector

Spectator
I remember watching figure skating back when people had their palms facing the sky when they landed. Why have people stopped doing this?

cl2

Final Flight
With jump landings these days trending towards being more choreographed to the musical style or packed with difficult exits, I can see how palm-up landings went out of style.

Also, isn't landing palm up awkward, bio-mechanically?

theflutzdetector

Spectator
With jump landings these days trending towards being more choreographed to the musical style or packed with difficult exits, I can see how palm-up landings went out of style.

Also, isn't landing palm up awkward, bio-mechanically?

I always thought that it looked nice, because nowadays I see skaters who do the wrist-bending thing where their hands go down and sometimes it doesn't look very pleasing.

cl2

Final Flight
I always thought that it looked nice, because nowadays I see skaters who do the wrist-bending thing where their hands go down and sometimes it doesn't look very pleasing.

You mean flicking the wrist, like how they do it in gymnastics?

Just watched Yelim Kim in JGPF, she did a nice palm-up gesture on her landing, very fitting to the music.

https://youtu.be/i8M2e5KAkHo?t=59

Of course, she didn't do that for every landing, but used a variety of arm gestures. In fact, she has lots of nice arm gestures throughout her program, very much suits her style, IMO.