GPF: Ladies' SP - Thoughts and Highlights | Golden Skate

GPF: Ladies' SP - Thoughts and Highlights

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
rkf.jpg
Japanese sensation Rika Kihira continued to galvanize herself as the sport's new 'it girl', winning the Grand Prix Final Ladies Short Program in style with a sharp triple Axel and personal best score of 82.51. The skater, who remains undefeated this season, also landed a triple flip-triple toe and triple Lutz with her arms over her head during her routine set to "Claire de Lune."

"I was extremely surprised when I saw that score," said the 16-year-old, "because it was not a score that I would have imagined would ever come up. Right now, I'm just really happy. The only thing for me to do right now is to imagine what the free program would be like."

"Now I feel confident that I can do the same again in competition," said the skater from Nishinomiya regarding her triple Axel. "For the free program, my goal is to land all my jumps cleanly and I will do my best to ensure it. I don't want to have any other regrets. Now that I've received such a score in the short, I need to complete my free successfully as well. That's all I would like to focus on for now."

More...

Share your thoughts on the Senior Ladies' SP at the 2018-19 Grand Prix Final!

Last edited:

lzxnl

Final Flight
Monstrous performance from Rika. I'm glad she chose this competition to skate a clean(ish) SP. Shame on the spin level though (given level 2) but doesn't change the overall result.

Not going to spoil results just yet.

bobbob

Medalist
Very odd that the judges completely dumped Alina suddenly today. In the free skate if both go clean I predict Rika will get higher PCS.

laiyamanika

On the Ice
I'm proud of Rika. She skated her very best when it matters. I do hope she continues it with her free

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Alina and Satoko both got a close look at the girl who's racing past them as presumptive world and national #1, respectively. We'll see how the free goes (Alina could certainly still win), but Rika's PCS has now started to catch up to her ability, which should make her the one to beat in these competitions.

Pretty good contest, certainly after that messy men's competition the errors from Liza and Satoko are small by comparison.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want to know where one gets a ginormous bear like that.

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes!!!!
Go Rika! She had a beautiful performance! Best of the night. Kaori also had a nice skate!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Rika was amazing! That 3A, wow!

Shame about Liza T's 3A, but the rest of her jumps were so amazing, that 3T-3T was wow and the 3 Lutz was incredible as always. She even got a Level 4 in her step sequence! You go Liza!

Sofia is fabulous, I love her sass, that program fits her like a glove :)

Kaori's music makes me lose the will to live, but her skating is amazing too! Her and Liza are super close in scoring which I think is fair, it does make the FS a nailbiter though!

I didn't get to see Satako because my stream died after Rika, but I'm not sure I want to watch she looked so sad afterwards! I hope she can bounce back in the FS.

Finally Alina, the pressure was on, but she rose to the challenge I think, I wonder what the FS will hold in store for her, this is her first time up against skaters with 3As isn't it? Unless Rika doesn't go well can she beat her if they're both clean?

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Very odd that the judges completely dumped Alina suddenly today. In the free skate if both go clean I predict Rika will get higher PCS.

If getting the highest PCS in the field is being dumped then idk. Her previous PCS outside of Russia is 35.77.
Rika performed so well and she had super lovely flow on the ice. The practice fan cams really make you appreciate her flow and overall skating.
Anyway, Alina was great but I felt she was tired or nervous and it showed a little bit. She still performed well.

lzxnl

Final Flight

I would argue Alina got a little lucky on her combination; the lutz and loop both looked so close to being underrotated; the blade clearly hits the ice a fraction early on each jump. The other underrotation calls I think were pretty spot on, although it really shows you how harsh the marking is this year, which is good to see.

bobbob

Medalist
Basically the reason why Alina's score dropped is because Rika skated well, and the judges found a new favorite. Which is a terrible reason.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
^^both of them deserved their scores. both of them are happy with their skates. I'm happy Alina was smiling after her skate. She did her best. Rika has no control over whether Alina will skate her best or not.
This is a happy event. Most of them did so well.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I was there in the arena! It was my first time watching a competition live and so I have a lot of thoughts! :biggrin:

1. Rika Kihira
Obviously Rika was the highlight. All my friends who know nothing about figure skating were only talking about her afterwards. Everything was there today - the 3A, the other jumps, spins, artistry, and I was especially impressed by the step sequence. In past competitions, I always felt that she really rushed the footwork and that it did not match the music well, but it seems that she really worked on it before this competition. All in all, I’m so happy to have watched such a phenomenal performance live.
2. Alina Zagitova
My reaction after watching this program live turned out to be the way I expected it to be - a sigh...:( Alina is just such a talented skater, but she really needs to get better programs to compliment those talents. Anyways, it was nice to see her do really well here (and not look as stressed!), and I’m curious to see how she’ll handle being behind Rika.
3. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
Too bad about the 3A, but everything else was well done. A little flat compared to the others but I love the attitude she brings to the ice (that sass is amazing :laugh:). Also, her jumps never fail to impress me :love:.
4. Kaori Sakamoto
I’m glad to see her bounce back so well from the disastrous SP last time. Kaori’s speed and flow is just so beautiful to watch. I’m still scratching my head because of the score she received - it could’ve been a little higher.
5. Sofia Samodurova
I guess going first kind of isolated her from the bigger names, but still, she did very well for such a big competition. Something new I felt from watching Sofia live is that her interpretation is actually really good. Her expressions and arm movements match the music’s structure and genre very well, and it’s a shame that it’s harder to see this when watching her on TV.
6. Satoko Miyahara
Even as a big Satoko fan, I must admit that just as many others on GS pointed out, she’s a little underwhelming in person. That being said, her skating was still ethereal :love:. I guess hearing Rika’s scores spooked her, seeing as how she was shaky on not only the jumps, but even the presentation (she was a little tense). Knowing Satoko, placing last is going to get her pissed, so I hope she can come back strong in the free skate.

Unfortunately, I cannot watch the free skate live, but I’m thankful that I was at least able to make it today :).

leoleo

Medalist
Basically the reason why Alina's score dropped is because Rika skated well, and the judges found a new favorite. Which is a terrible reason.

Lmao i can't with this logic :laugh2: Could you reach any higher?

Also are people serious with Alina is being dropped? She scored 77, that's more than anyone could wish, she's doing fine.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Thoughts from going insane inside the arena:

1. Rika truly was utterly mesmerizing in person. Skates like a dream. She did five or six runs of the 3A in warmup/prep, doubling/marking some and falling on others. I think she nailed only one of the full attempts in practice. But never fear, Rika delivers the goods on the actual skate! Standing O was universal in the arena, and well, well deserved. Everyone saying her PCS jump is undeserved can go ... *swear swear curse curse insult insult* She was hands down the standout, even outside the 3A. It was clear as day that she was the best in the pack.

2. Alina ... Clean, and good. But I had just rewatched some of her earlier performances last night, and concluded that I have been unduly giving her the cold shoulder, and that she really is remarkably good. But I have to say, I didn't get the same feeling from her tonight. I hadn't minded her nonsense music cuts as much as some people on the boards in earlier events, but watching the program live ... honestly, my main takeaway was that it is just plain Not A Good Program. Alina had huge cheers before and after her skate, but almost dead silence from the crowd throughout. There's no build, no flow, no magnetism to the choreography/composition. I'm finally willing to get on board the Alina wagon, but this was not the performance or program to confirm that decision. Oh well, there's always Goth Lara Croft exhibition for something engaging.

3. Satoko ... I have never been a big Satoko fan. I'm usually baffled as to why so many people love her so much, and this was not the performance to make it clear to me. Her 2A is nice? That's about all I got. I get that her PCS is supposed to be the standout, but honestly I thought Kaori and Rika were both better than her. But I know basically nothing about PCS.

4. Kaori got done dirty by the judges again. I thought she'd be a clear 3rd, somewhere in the mid 70s. IDK why the judges don't go for her, she skates like butter. TBF, it's much harder to judge underrotations/edges in person than it is with the live tech box/replays. But she's less than a point behind 3rd, she can make it up if she can just hold the edge on her 3F.

5. Sofia is fun. I liked her best of the JGPF finalists last year, but never thought she'd be the one we'd still be hearing about on the senior circuit. I'd love to see her go far, she's got a great spark and personality to her skating.

6. Liza can turn out of all the 3As she wants as long as she still does that sexy sexy opening bend over thing she does. She's just got this confidence and command to her performance. I am Not Ready for her amp up cantilever.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
A good competition overall. There is not many monster scores like i expected but evryone skated well despite little mistakes. Rika and Alina are a well deserved top2. Liza is still consistent despite the Ured 3A. Nice skates by Kaori and Sofia. Not so bad skate from Satoko. Scores were right IMO.

Now i just hope that people will calm down about Alina ("she doesn't deserve to win", "she's overscored" and bla bla bla), now that she gets scores that refect more what she does on ice, and that there is a new sheriff in the city (Rika) who gets the same PCS and more GOEs than her.

Sk8rBoii

On the Ice
Amazing competition! We're being given such treats this season when there's two ladies in same competition who have 3A planned in their programs. I'm so hyped over how ladies' skating seems to finally be taking the leap for making the 3A more common. Been a while since Midori and Tonya... and still waiting :D

I'm a bit sad that Kaori didn't get more points, but positively surprised how well Samodurova handles the pressure of being dubbed the 'surpriser' of this season among russian ladies. A very good skate!
Satoko on the other hand didn't seem very focused, so the score was expected. And Elizaveta brings such positive competing attitude to the ice, always a joy to watch!
And Rika... finally a clean short, and very deserved world record score! ❤ One spin was lv2, so there's room for improvement still :)
Biggest surprise for me was how Alina's jumps weren't ur according to the tech panel, sure looked like it from the angle we were given. Love her skating, but she seems to be slightly struggling with her technique this season, her landings aren't as clear and sure as last season :(

EdRoz

Record Breaker
I think Eteri’s strategy didn’t work, it’s a mistake to arrive at the last moment ..
the girls are sleepy and look tired , Alina could better

serephy

On the Ice
I think Eteri’s strategy didn’t work, it’s a mistake to arrive at the last moment ..
the girls are sleepy and look tired , Alina could better

It's not Eteri. Rusfed arranges the flights and the hotels. I assume they didn't want to pay for extra days in Canada.

I was hoping they would have realised that the skaters need longer to adjust when competing in North America, particularly after Gumennik/Tarakanova/Shcherbakova all struggled with the time difference in the SP at JGP Richmond back in September....apparently not.