JGPF: Men's FS - Thoughts and Highlights | Golden Skate

JGPF: Men's FS - Thoughts and Highlights

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Stephen Gogolev.jpg
Canada's Stephen Gogolev, who was an alternate for the Junior Men's event, managed to capture gold at the 2018-19 Junior Grand Prix (JGP) Final in his first season on the circuit. With nearly 15 points to spare. Petr Gumennik of Russia moved up from third to take silver, while Japan's Koshiro Shimada earned the bronze.

More...

Share your thoughts on the Junior Men's FS at the 2018-19 Junior Grand Prix Final!

I just want to give Stephen a big hug
:cheer2:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Stephen, Petr, and Koshiro. :bow:

I want to give Camden a big hug. :ghug:
Not his day.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Gogo went for the gold!

Glad to see that he turned things around from the first time in Vancouver. Stephen at age 13, in his first JGP season, as the first alternate wins by almost 15 points, wow!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Goes to show you that anyone can have a bad day, and it doesn't mean they're bad at what they were doing on that day. It was not Stephen's day at Richmond. It was at Vancouver. Congratulations!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Camden was clearly very disappointed in what he put out on the ice.
“I think it was a learning lesson for me because I trained the short program so well in so many consistent run-throughs, and the long (program) hasn’t been there in training as much as I would have wanted it to be,” said the JGP Czech Skate silver medalist. “This is a reminder for me to really put importance on both programs. I think skating after Stephen (Gogolev), if I had trained a little better and had more clean repetitions, I would have had a better outcome here, so I just learned from it today.”

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Camden was clearly very disappointed in what he put out on the ice.

Agree. Thanks for the quotes from Camden.

Wondering why the article identifies Camden as "JGP Czech Skate silver medalist" -- with no mention of his higher placement this season of JGP Linz champion??

Whereas Stephen is identified as JGP Bratislava champion and Adam is identified as JGP Armenia champion, although they each had a lower placement at another JGP.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nothing untoward was meant. It was already mentioned in the SP article and I didn't want to be redundant.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Wow, Gogolev is only 13 and did a 4Lutz!
Plus 4T and 4S. That's even more quads than what some of the senior men are doing

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Wow, Gogolev is only 13 and did a 4Lutz!
Plus 4T and 4S. That's even more quads than what some of the senior men are doing

More than what most of the senior men are doing...

But of course, some junior ladies are doing more quads than all of the senior ladies are doing...

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
More than what most of the senior men are doing...

But of course, some junior ladies are doing more quads than all of the senior ladies are doing...

Quads/3A are awesome when adult skaters perform them, even more so when juniors do. But what is even more exciting is a junior that keeps a quad jump (or 3!) through to adulthood. I am so excited to see if the current batch of juniors can transition into senior competition in the impressive form they're currently in :hap10:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Gogolev was indeed really impressive: his quads look a little like Shoma's quads (barely fully rotated and with prerotation) but that's understandable given the age. I'm not a fan of his programs (no facial expression, the program just goes on and on) but the talent is certainly there. It will be interesting to see his development cause he's still young, a lot can happen by the time he turns into seniors.

Poor Petr was a bit underscored here, GOE not as big as he usually gets even on spins, but i think he's the most talented russian skater i've seen in juniors in like a decade? Consistency, performance, great posture and great spinner. He's working well with the quads, 4S was a beauty here, he should try the 4T or 4lo for the next season.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Juniors who can perform with skill elegance and grace warm my heart. I don’t want to worry if a skater will keep jumps. And jumps qua jumps are not important to me.

So I want to give a shout out to Koshiro, who has the elegance, skating skills and performance to carry him through to seniors. Not to mention Stéphane. ;) I’m sorry he made the podium due to Camden’s and Tomoki’s bad skates, but that’s sport and that’s the junior men.

You can’t predict them, you can’t rely on them from comp to comp, and that’s what makes them so great:)

Congrats to all the medalists:clap:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Gogo is now the youngest men's JGP Final champion, knocking almost a full year off of the record previously held by Yuzuru Hanyu.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Congrats to Stephen for coming in as an alternate and then winning it all. We knew you could do it! Congrats on the silver, Petr, and the bronze, Koshiro!