Memorable Expressions During Programs | Golden Skate

Memorable Expressions During Programs

rinkside_user

On the Ice
I was thinking of little nuances you notice when you compare the different outings of certain programs and I must say some of the expressions, most notably on the ending poses, have stayed with me. Even though they are really just split seconds most of the time, these improvised bits could make such a difference imo (instead of just dropping the facade as the program is over) and they really add to the performance, especially if skaters remain in character even after the music has stopped. I'm instantly thinking of Tuktamysheva's badass smile from 2018 Finlandia SP, diva-like-no-other Stolbova at 2015 GFP SP, Wagner's intense stare with a head twirl at 2016 Skate America SP and Cohen's flirty start to her 2006 Olympics SP.

There was a similar thread that focused on the differences between the outings of the same programs but I can't seem to find it now. This thread would be a little bit different in tone as I would be interested really in memorable expressions, let it be ending poses or not. Hopefully not a terrible thread idea but if the other thread is alive and well, please feel free to incorporate my post into that one - so what are your thoughts and favorites?

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
If we're talking expressions of course the Queen has to be mentioned. There are so, so many moments when she just gave a look or a smile and knocked everyone off their feet. Just to list off some examples:

The Golden Shot
The Fairest Death
Don't you forget, She's the Vampire
All these small moments that made history
And the program that makes me cry every time I watch it, SITC. The whole of it, really. From the start, there's this, this, this, this, and my tearjerker the ending. Where are the damn tissues (goes off to cry)

I have tons of others, will add later.

Edit: Since I'm crying, Piper's expression here choked me when I first watched this beautiful program, and it still does.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Yuzuru smiling at the beginning the last step sequence of his Pyeongchang free skate, and that look of triumph during the hydroblade. Also just the energy of the whole thing, how he just explodes out of that spin and throws everything he has into it.

He was injured and had almost fallen on his last 3Lz (he'd been injured in the first place landing a Lutz) but managed to stay upright. He said later that it felt like his fans' support had physically propped him up. (Source is this documentary, if anyone's interested.)

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
technically this doesn't count but Keegan's smile and laugh after his scary but also incredibly Chaplin-esque fall on his 3A in the FS during GPF was great. probably the only person and program that can pull off a fall like that without it being incredibly disruptive to the program.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have no idea why but I just love the expression Sima makes in her Sia exhibition right after she backs up while reaching down and feeling the ice.

https://youtu.be/PdDIdrcQxvo?t=2m13s

To me it just sort of says “well...here it is...it’s all I’ve got to offer you”.

TBH...it’s one of my favorite exhibitions ever because of how uniquely expressive it is. I’d love someone to take a challenge and link a performance that reminds then of this one. I really would like to see it!

You should just watch the entire performance IMO ;)
https://youtu.be/PdDIdrcQxvo

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
For me, one of the most memorable expressions is Anna Cappellini's seductive/evil smile at the opening of their 2009 free dance (approx. 00:16 -00:24 in the video*). Such a brilliant facial expression, combined with great hair and makeup, to set the scene for Requiem for a Dream.

Also, the huge grin the breaks across Meagan Duhamel's face after their last throw at 2016 Worlds will forever stick out in my mind. It didn't really fit with the program, but it was as if she just couldn't control it, especially from the last lift to the end of the program (approx. 04:30- 05:00*).

*For some reason, I cannot get it to go to the exact timings in the hyperlinks, so have provided reference points instead. Sorry!

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Also, the huge grin the breaks across Meagan Duhamel's face after their last throw at 2016 Worlds will forever stick out in my mind. It didn't really fit with the program, but it was as if she just couldn't control it, especially from the last lift to the end of the program (approx. 04:30- 05:00*).

This is so sweet! And her reaction in the kiss and cry was ADORABLE. :luv17:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kristi Yamagachi's expressions & gestures when she skated to "It's Oh, So Quiet!" :biggrin: :love:

rinkside_user

On the Ice

This moment during Yuzuru's free skate in Nice 2012

For me, one of the most memorable expressions is Anna Cappellini's seductive/evil smile at the opening of their 2009 free dance (approx. 00:16 -00:24 in the video*). Such a brilliant facial expression, combined with great hair and makeup, to set the scene for Requiem for a Dream.

Wow those are golden, thanks! And how could I forget Hanyu's prototype JULIET?

Soloviev's anguished Bird's expression was horrifying and perfectly timed to the sound effect. Kudos to the cameraman for bravely zooming in at 2013 Rostelecom: https://youtu.be/i4wHOkefrqs?t=296

And wow those are... quite scary in some way. ._____.