ESPN Dominant 20 for 2018. Ranked #11 - Yuzuru Hanyu | Golden Skate

ESPN Dominant 20 for 2018. Ranked #11 - Yuzuru Hanyu

LindaTNo1

Rinkside
Congratulations Yuzuru Hanyu. Ranked 11 in the entire world of ALL Sports. Well done ESPN. Yuzuru Hanyu is the face of Figure Skating globally. He has mass universal appeal and so great. Just the greatest.

yuna13

On the Ice
Mainly americans of course! I guess a 7 time consecutive crystal globe winner and 5 time olympic champions isn't good enough.

frida80

Record Breaker
Sigh... Justify wasn't as high as I hoped. Lebron and no Steph Curry? This list is odd.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Congrats to Yuzu! especially considering the way his injury hampered his season and the fierce competition last year.

Sigh... Justify wasn't as high as I hoped. Lebron and no Steph Curry? This list is odd.

And as an Australian, I approve of a horse being there (I mean, we are the nation stopped by the race that stops a nation :)

sun110

Final Flight
METHODOLOGY
Who was truly elite in 2018? Our Dominant 20 answers that by pitting the year's best against their top rivals with cold, hard math.

We started by grading athletes by the strongest performance measures available in their sport over their most recently completed season (except F1 numbers, which are through Nov. 11, and NFL numbers, which are through Nov. 26), including timed scores, earnings and, wherever possible, advanced metrics.

Then, to put those achievements into historical perspective, we compared the top athletes in a sport to the best in their field each year since 1998 and adjusted the results to put those athletes onto one common baseline, yielding our ratings.

So what does Simone Biles' dominance score of 3.25 mean? In 2018, she was 3.25 standard deviations better than the typical top-four performer in all-around women's gymnastics since 1998 -- rendering her the year's most dominant pro athlete.

andromache

Record Breaker

LeBron is a GOAT. Steph is not.

(I'm from Cleveland and I'm here to start fights about the NBA :devil:)

ETA: In fact, I don't think I can forgive Hanyu for being higher on this list than LeBron!!! ;)

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
LeBron is a GOAT. Steph is not.

(I'm from Cleveland and I'm here to start fights about the NBA :devil:)

ETA: In fact, I don't think I can forgive Hanyu for being higher on this list than LeBron!!! ;)

Yeah. I know better than to start fights with anyone in Cleveland or Ohio for that matter.

I'm from North Carolina. We have a clear opinion on who the GOAT is, obviously.

Sam L

Medalist
Alina Zagitova deserves to be on this list. She’s better than Biles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Mainly americans of course! I guess a 7 time consecutive crystal globe winner and 5 time olympic champions isn't good enough.

I literally know 3 names on that list: Hanyu, Djokovic and Simone Biles. Given how completely American-centric that list is, I have no idea how on earth Yuzu made it.

yude

Record Breaker
I literally know 3 names on that list: Hanyu, Djokovic and Simone Biles. Given how completely American-centric that list is, I have no idea how on earth Yuzu made it.

Same here :biggrin: I also know Kim since I saw her in the Olympics. That said, congratulations Yuzuru for being on this list :)

Shanshani

On the Ice
How do they calculate these dominance ratings and how many athletes did they actually take a look at when computing them? Does the dominance rating account for differences between sports when it comes to how often the athletes compete and how often an top athlete can expect to win any given competition?

Alina Zagitova deserves to be on this list. She’s better than Biles.

I'm pretty sure dominance depends in part on the length of time an athlete can stay at the top of his or her sport. Having only been in seniors for 1 1/2 seasons, I don't think Alina qualifies for any dominance ranking.

Weetos

Final Flight
Nice to see Yuzu on there :D
OK well I know Djoko, Biles, Hamilton, and obviously Yuzu. Recognise a couple names from the Olympics. The rest are a mystery, but they are mostly American sports so I wouldn't know, they are not exactly news in the UK.

Rissa

Record Breaker
How do they calculate these dominance ratings and how many athletes did they actually take a look at when computing them? Does the dominance rating account for differences between sports when it comes to how often the athletes compete and how often an top athlete can expect to win any given competition?

I'm pretty sure dominance depends in part on the length of time an athlete can stay at the top of his or her sport. Having only been in seniors for 1 1/2 seasons, I don't think Alina qualifies for any dominance ranking.

If you hit "here's how we came up with this list" they sort of explain their methodology. Sort of.

Actually, the length of the athlete being on top was not a factor at all, just their results in their most-recently-completed season, which I'm guessing would be the 2017/18 for FS. Though it's a bit funny if according to their methodology, Yuzu is/was dominant with just 2 competitions that season.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Nice to see Yuzu on there :D
OK well I know Djoko, Biles, Hamilton, and obviously Yuzu. Recognise a couple names from the Olympics. The rest are a mystery, but they are mostly American sports so I wouldn't know, they are not exactly news in the UK.

I know Hamilton (from Top Gear!), and have heard of Lebron James but more that he's famous and can never remember why... I think where sport is concerned, we're all a bit parochial at heart.

Actually, the length of the athlete being on top was not a factor at all, just their results in their most-recently-completed season, which I'm guessing would be the 2017/18 for FS. Though it's a bit funny if according to their methodology, Yuzu is/was dominant with just 2 competitions that season.

Yes, even with my tunnel vision, I was a tad surprised by that given the stated methodology...

Shanshani

On the Ice
If you hit "here's how we came up with this list" they sort of explain their methodology. Sort of.

Oh, hm, must have missed it. And lol, what? I would not use the 2017-2018 season as my basis for proclaiming Yuzu's dominance, since he managed to lose both ACI and his first GP :palmf:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Oh, hm, must have missed it. And lol, what? I would not use the 2017-2018 season as my basis for proclaiming Yuzu's dominance, since he managed to lose both ACI and his first GP :palmf:

To be fair, they included in the "dominance" things such as "earnings" and "advanced metrics" and frankly we can't be sure if they know what constitutes a full FS season. They're doing most dominant in 2018, so maybe they included results from all of 2018.:confused2:

And although I've never heard of Justify before, I love the fact that they included a horse. Although, if Justify is the best thing that's happened in horse racing since 1885, surely he should be on top of the list? Edit: I got curious enough that I looked him up on Wikipedia aand the first sence was "a retired racehorse" :eek: And we think figure skating is a sport with short careers...

Danibellerika

Medalist
To be fair, they included in the "dominance" things such as "earnings" and "advanced metrics" and frankly we can't be sure if they know what constitutes a full FS season. They're doing most dominant in 2018, so maybe they included results from all of 2018.:confused2:

Well winning the Olympics is a much bigger deal and probably gets tons more points than any other competition in the season in their book.