Realistic Goals for an Adult Figure Skater | Golden Skate

Realistic Goals for an Adult Figure Skater

cherryk

Rinkside
Hello everyone, thank you for visiting my thread :).

I am currently 19F and I began figure skating this year when I was 18. I did skate a little as a child when I was 8, but no more than forwards/backwards/stopping.

To give you some context I am 5’4 with a lean build and on the petite side weighting around 120lbs, I have natural flexibility as a did competitive cheerleading in my teen years. Within 8 months of figuring I’ve passed all of the ‘adult’ skate school levels and am looking to soon take my first mainstream test, preliminary. (I live in AUS btw).

I’m in love with the sport now, I never even think about anything else, and I have big goals for myself (axel and doubles). I realise this isn’t an easy feat. However I am extremely dedicated, I spend 3-4 mornings a week at the rink training (2 privates a week) practising my edgework etc. I am very driven and if nothing else, have the right mindset for the sport.

My question to all of you is, do you think it is physically possible to reach these goals given my age and circumstances? Right now I’m working on all my single jumps, sit spin (which is nearly all the way down), camel, layback, haircutter, tuck and pancake. Outside and inside twizzles, power pulls, power 3’s, counters rockers and brackets and more...

I plan on competing when I reach a more substantial level, just nationally though. TIA for any advice :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
At your age, with natural flexibility and an athletic background, I see absolutely no reason why an Axel and some doubles would be an unrealistic goal, particularly if you're driven and doing 3-4 days a week plus lessons.

As for competing, as soon as you pass Prelim you can compete at Adult Bronze. Nationals starts at Adult Silver which is your Elementary patterns test. Axels aren't allowed at Bronze and doubles aren't allowed at Silver, so it's not like you'd be up against skaters who are miles and miles above you.

jf12

Final Flight
Yes it’s totally doable. I started when I was older than you with similar casual background in skating as a kid, passed my first test 10 months later and got an axel 2 years after starting. I wouldn’t say I’m a total natural at skating at all either, but I started with good balance and athleticism. The key and the big variable for most adults is how much time you have and how many lessons you can take from a good coach. If you’re consistent with this, plus off ice, there’s no reason you cannot reach your goals. 3-4x skating and 2 lessons a week is good for now but when you’re just starting to learn and get your axel/doubles you might need to increase the frequency of skating and lessons temporarily to get over the hump.

cherryk

Rinkside
At your age, with natural flexibility and an athletic background, I see absolutely no reason why an Axel and some doubles would be an unrealistic goal, particularly if you're driven and doing 3-4 days a week plus lessons.

As for competing, as soon as you pass Prelim you can compete at Adult Bronze. Nationals starts at Adult Silver which is your Elementary patterns test. Axels aren't allowed at Bronze and doubles aren't allowed at Silver, so it's not like you'd be up against skaters who are miles and miles above you.

Thank you for your input I appreciate it! I just frequently hear people say if you don’t have these sorts of skills before puberty then you might as well rule them out so that’s why I’m curious to ask because personally I feel as though I am fitter than I ever have been at my age now so I was also thinking why COULDNT I achieve those goals. Right now I’m working towards my preliminary pattern test :)

BeTheLivingProof

Rinkside
Thank you for your input I appreciate it! I just frequently hear people say if you don’t have these sorts of skills before puberty then you might as well rule them out so that’s why I’m curious to ask because personally I feel as though I am fitter than I ever have been at my age now so I was also thinking why COULDNT I achieve those goals. Right now I’m working towards my preliminary pattern test :)

I definitely wouldn’t believe the puberty thing, because I got my axel, double salchow, double toe and double loop all after puberty, some when I was older than you! If you stick with it and put in the work, I don’t see any reason why your goals aren’t achievable. Good luck!!!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I am currently 19F and I began figure skating this year when I was 18. I did skate a little as a child when I was 8, but no more than forwards/backwards/stopping.

To give you some context I am 5’4 with a lean build and on the petite side weighting around 120lbs, I have natural flexibility as a did competitive cheerleading in my teen years. Within 8 months of figuring I’ve passed all of the ‘adult’ skate school levels and am looking to soon take my first mainstream test, preliminary. (I live in AUS btw).

I’m in love with the sport now, I never even think about anything else, and I have big goals for myself (axel and doubles). I realise this isn’t an easy feat. However I am extremely dedicated, I spend 3-4 mornings a week at the rink training (2 privates a week) practising my edgework etc. I am very driven and if nothing else, have the right mindset for the sport.

My question to all of you is, do you think it is physically possible to reach these goals given my age and circumstances? Right now I’m working on all my single jumps, sit spin (which is nearly all the way down), camel, layback, haircutter, tuck and pancake. Outside and inside twizzles, power pulls, power 3’s, counters rockers and brackets and more...

I plan on competing when I reach a more substantial level, just nationally though. TIA for any advice :)

I just frequently hear people say if you don’t have these sorts of skills before puberty then you might as well rule them out so that’s why I’m curious to ask because personally I feel as though I am fitter than I ever have been at my age now so I was also thinking why COULDNT I achieve those goals. Right now I’m working towards my preliminary pattern test :)

Yes, I think if your qualities, skills, and work ethic are what you described in your initial post that there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to achieve those goals.

As far as the puberty thing, many misconstrue it or take it out of context. It mostly applies to females who are doing those kinds of jumps before puberty and then hit puberty and find that because their body has changed it is harder to do the jumps the same way or so easily and have to rework things. You should be fine because you are doing them for the first time after puberty.

Good luck! :biggrin:

cherryk

Rinkside
Yes it’s totally doable. I started when I was older than you with similar casual background in skating as a kid, passed my first test 10 months later and got an axel 2 years after starting. I wouldn’t say I’m a total natural at skating at all either, but I started with good balance and athleticism. The key and the big variable for most adults is how much time you have and how many lessons you can take from a good coach. If you’re consistent with this, plus off ice, there’s no reason you cannot reach your goals. 3-4x skating and 2 lessons a week is good for now but when you’re just starting to learn and get your axel/doubles you might need to increase the frequency of skating and lessons temporarily to get over the hump.

Wow good on you! That really inspires me, may I ask what your training schedule was/is to have achieved axel in 2 years? I wouldn’t say I’m a complete natural at skating either, but I’m also not a completely uncoordinated mess haha. I thought I was a natural until I met a girl who started same time as me and is only a half rotation away from her full axel lol [emoji38] Thank you for your input!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I definitely wouldn’t believe the puberty thing, because I got my axel, double salchow, double toe and double loop all after puberty, some when I was older than you! If you stick with it and put in the work, I don’t see any reason why your goals aren’t achievable. Good luck!!!

Yeah, the puberty thing is a nonsense.

I thought I was a natural until I met a girl who started same time as me and is only a half rotation away from her full axel lol [emoji38] Thank you for your input!

How are her skating skills/spins though? It's fairly common for older skaters to progress more quickly through the jumps to the detriment of their SS and spins.

cherryk

Rinkside

Thank you so much, I struggle to believe in myself sometimes so your advice means a lot and especially in this skating culture of child prodigies I feel a bit hopeless sometimes lol, but I won’t give up by any means!

cherryk

Rinkside
Yeah, the puberty thing is a nonsense.

How are her skating skills/spins though? It's fairly common for older skaters to progress more quickly through the jumps to the detriment of their SS and spins.

Not very controlled at all, so I suppose you’re right. I’d rather look strong and controlled with deep edges and be doing really basic basics, than rushing to learn everything like she did and be doing everything at a mediocre standard. Then again I’m a huge perfectionist

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not very controlled at all, so I suppose you’re right. I’d rather look strong and controlled with deep edges and be doing really basic basics, than rushing to learn everything like she did and be doing everything at a mediocre standard. Then again I’m a huge perfectionist

Watching Adult Nationals it was inherently obvious which skaters had a) started younger and come back as Adults b) started older and focused on jumps and c) started older but focused on SS. Inevitably, skaters from brackets a) and c) scored higher and did better overall.

Perfectionism is not a dirty word, especially in this sport, but do be careful you don't go too far with it.

jf12

Final Flight
Wow good on you! That really inspires me, may I ask what your training schedule was/is to have achieved axel in 2 years? I wouldn’t say I’m a complete natural at skating either, but I’m also not a completely uncoordinated mess haha. I thought I was a natural until I met a girl who started same time as me and is only a half rotation away from her full axel lol [emoji38] Thank you for your input!
Normally I only take a jump lesson once a week, and I’m able to retain and improve my skills with it, but when I was first getting the hang of the axel I worked on it 6 days a week and took a 15-30m lesson on jumps specifically almost 4x a week, otherwise I would regress between lessons.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist

I'm quite a bit older than you are, and no one at my rink has said they don't think I'll be able to do Axels and doubles. I skated more than you did as a kid, but you're above my level now. Good luck!

guitarist

On the Ice
I know quite a few people who have learned Axels and doubles in less than 3 years and started as adults. I've also seen a ridiculously talented guy who's been skating for around 3-4 years and started in his 20s, and is now seriously working on a 3A. Granted, he's a professional ballet dancer and a one-in-a-million case of true genius + hard worker, but it's definite proof that it's possible to learn jumps after puberty. It sounds to me like you're putting in the effort required to succeed. I've been skating for a year, and I am nowhere near the level you describe. Counters? I can't even do back 3-turns :p

If you keep it up, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get an Axel and some doubles. Like some other people have said though, don't neglect SS!

Sam L

Medalist
I know quite a few people who have learned Axels and doubles in less than 3 years and started as adults. I've also seen a ridiculously talented guy who's been skating for around 3-4 years and started in his 20s, and is now seriously working on a 3A. Granted, he's a professional ballet dancer and a one-in-a-million case of true genius + hard worker, but it's definite proof that it's possible to learn jumps after puberty. It sounds to me like you're putting in the effort required to succeed. I've been skating for a year, and I am nowhere near the level you describe. Counters? I can't even do back 3-turns :p

If you keep it up, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get an Axel and some doubles. Like some other people have said though, don't neglect SS!

A professional ballet dancer who's working on 3A? Where does he find the time?

I'm not a professional ballet dancer but I have done significant amount of ballet classes and I find the ballet jumps don't help in Figure Skating at all. The mechanics are completely different because of the toe picks. That means he's having to spend double the amount of time to work on both. Pretty impressive.

guitarist

On the Ice

I'm not a professional ballet dancer but I have done significant amount of ballet classes and I find the ballet jumps don't help in Figure Skating at all. The mechanics are completely different because of the toe picks. That means he's having to spend double the amount of time to work on both. Pretty impressive.
That was exactly my question. I'm not sure, but I think he's focusing more on skating now, even moved to another state to train. But yeah, it's a highly unusual situation. My coach says skating just clicked for him, but that wasn't the case for any of the other adult skaters who do ballet at the rink.

Also, he's pretty much made of muscle, so I suppose that helps too. I have no idea if he'll ever be at the level to compete at the National level, but I hope he'll at least be able to do regionals. He has a really big personality, so it should be a lot of fun to watch.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Seriously though. I come to skating as an adult with 20+ years of serious ballet experience and ballet makes skating SO much harder. Totally different set of muscles. It's nice I have the strength and all but there's so much retraining involved I've even considered stopping skating.

Good for this guy though!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Your goals seem completely reasonable. I skate at a mostly adult rink and I know several people who got their doubles after starting to skate in their 20s. I know someone who started in their 30s and managed a double sal/double toe. I also know a guy who taught himself to skate in his 20s and managed to get his gold test in all disciples, so it's not unreasonable at all, especially with the time and coaching you're giving the sport.

The cheerleading background will probably help as well. I know quite a few people who have don't both and they seem to compliment each other well.

cherryk

Rinkside
Your goals seem completely reasonable. I skate at a mostly adult rink and I know several people who got their doubles after starting to skate in their 20s. I know someone who started in their 30s and managed a double sal/double toe. I also know a guy who taught himself to skate in his 20s and managed to get his gold test in all disciples, so it's not unreasonable at all, especially with the time and coaching you're giving the sport.

The cheerleading background will probably help as well. I know quite a few people who have don't both and they seem to compliment each other well.

Great to know. This gives me a lot of hope and more motivation :) I’m just happy to be doing the sport fancy tricks or not, but of course it would be amazing to reach my big goals! Thank you

cherryk

Rinkside
Seriously though. I come to skating as an adult with 20+ years of serious ballet experience and ballet makes skating SO much harder. Totally different set of muscles. It's nice I have the strength and all but there's so much retraining involved I've even considered stopping skating.

Good for this guy though!

Interesting! I would have thought ballet makes skating much easier than the average non-ballerina that picks up ice skating so I’m quite surprised by this! Don’t stop skating if you love it, I’m sure once you get over the hurdle of retraining those muscles a lot of your other ballet skills will help with skating (posture, poise, pretty arms haha) Best of luck on your journey :) Atleast you mastered one sport already!