Life After Competitive FS: your favorites | Golden Skate

Life After Competitive FS: your favorites

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After I listened to Katia Gordeeva's TSL interview, I thought of creating a space where we can assemble what various skaters have shared on the subject. I'll start with quotes from two of Ashley Wagner's new blog entries. The links will take you to the whole thing, each is maybe 600-800 words. (the bolding is mine).

After my competitive career slowed down, and I wasn’t training every single day, I had the opportunity to get to know myself and what I was really like beyond the confines of my regimen and schedule. Spoiler alert: I discovered that I am lazy AF. Of course, coming off of more than two decades of rigorous work with little to no vacation time might explain a lot about the lack of motivation that I was feeling. Either way, the world kept spinning and I found myself in a position where I had to move forward, with no idea how to do that. I had to learn how to become a self-starter at the age of 27. Let me tell you, having to move forward with no idea how to do that is TERRIFYING. So, long story short, thank god you are here.
https://www.theashwagner.com/blog/2018/11/8/my-5-tips-for-becoming-a-self-starter

I organized this entire move and it was so empowering. I moved not for work, not for a relationship, I moved just because I could and that made me feel so free, and like I was actually living life. I acknowledged that I needed change and I made it happen, and I got to experience the positive change that I started myself. Sometimes I feel like we get caught up in thinking about how difficult things can be, and yes, this move was ridiculously hard and stressful. It challenged me, but I learned that I can make things happen on my own, I don’t need anyone else to fix my problems. I don’t need to be rescued, I can save myself.
https://www.theashwagner.com/blog/2018/11/20/moving-across-the-country-why-i-did-itnbsp

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I liked that Michelle Kwan went into politics in the state department. I always thought that was brave of her to leave the skating industry, it’s scary out there.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I imagine it would be hard to go from being the top practitioner in the world at something to being at the bottom of a new career/endeavor. It's maybe similar to doctors and attorneys who burn-out and change careers, since they also put in so much effort to get there but have to start nearly from scratch when they do something else.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To move to the idea of what skaters have shared about their process:

In this week's TSL interview, Katia Gordeeva said that when she moved away from Olympic=eligible the first time, she didn't like show skating so much at first. But she loved skating, and she found things to love about show skating and went on from there.

I'm pretty sure she also alluded to how it was a little scary to have more freedom in their schedule, even in their choreography, in everything. Competitive figure skaters have so much of their lives planned to the letter. I imagine it's an easier transition to go straight to a very demanding, new endeavor like grad school, med school, etc. where you have to work hard. That's what they're accustomed to!

I remember Evan Lysacek saying that he wanted something that he could pour all of his passion into. Like he had with skating.

Also, I'd think that someone with a strong desire to coach or choreograph ... and the opportunity ... and, as some of them say, give back to the sport that has given them so much ... are fortunate. Of course, then it's a transition from being out front to being in a supportive role.