"Torvill & Dean" TV Film: ITV On Christmas Day At 21:15 GMT | Golden Skate

"Torvill & Dean" TV Film: ITV On Christmas Day At 21:15 GMT

Miller

Final Flight
"Torvill & Dean" TV Film: ITV On Christmas Day At 21:15 GMT

Just found this lovely interview with Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland by the actress who plays Jayne Torvill in the up coming Torvill and Dean TV film: (https://youtu.be/7lnPg3Ajc80)

Just to let everyone know 'Torvill & Dean' is going to be the main drama on ITV on Christmas Day! Will be on at 9.15 p.m. for 2 hours. How anyone from ROW will be able to watch it I do not know, but presumably will be on ITV Player afterwards if you can somehow get at that.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
^
ROW?

I’ll definitely be watching T&D, so long as it’s on STV. It most likely will.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

It took me a while to work that one out too:

"Rest Of The World"

I’ll definitely be watching T&D, so long as it’s on STV. It most likely will.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Scottish TV deviates away from the main ITV schedule more often than even Ulster TV does! :eek:

Well, it's the flagship programme for the Channel 3 network this Christmas, so you would like to think that STV would stick with it. We are, anyway.

It is great to see a figure skating programme getting this sort of prominence. Of course, I am not naïve enough to not realise that ITV only commissioned it so that they could use it as a way to introduce the upcoming new series of "Dancing On Ice".

But, hopefully it will let viewers see what figure skating is really like, rather than the glammed up version that they see on "Dancing On Ice". And it may generate more of an interest in the sport, or even attract more kids to take it up.

So, every little helps...

CaroLiza_fan

P.S. I've moved this to a new thread, so that it will get more exposure. And so that we have some-where that we can chat specifically about the progamme afterwards! :biggrin:

Miller

Final Flight
^^ Yes, ROW is Rest of the World. Was also wondering if it might end up on something like Netflix fairly soon. Can't imagine it's the sort of thing they're going to be able to sell to lots of countries/territories (but you never know). However if not it could end up on Netflix and people would now know it's been transmitted in its home country, so hopefully not far away.

Weetos

Final Flight
I'll definitely try to watch it! Will depend who is and is not in a food coma whether I have control of the remote though. Mind you since I will be cooking Christmas dinner I think they should let me choose!! :laugh:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
It took me a while to work that one out too:

"Rest Of The World"

Oh yeah, I forgot that Scottish TV deviates away from the main ITV schedule more often than even Ulster TV does! :eek:

Well, it's the flagship programme for the Channel 3 network this Christmas, so you would like to think that STV would stick with it. We are, anyway.

I really hope so, I’ll know in two days when the online schedule updates to show Christmas Day. I’ll never forget when STV refused to show Downton Abbey. People in America could watch it and I had to put random English postcode’s into ITV player just to watch!

Great idea on making this a separate thread, we can live chat it on Christmas Day if we’re not all busy. My dad usually has control though but I’m slowly converting him into a skating fan..

LandShark

Rinkside
I really hope so, I’ll know in two days when the online schedule updates to show Christmas Day. I’ll never forget when STV refused to show Downton Abbey. People in America could watch it and I had to put random English postcode’s into ITV player just to watch!

Great idea on making this a separate thread, we can live chat it on Christmas Day if we’re not all busy. My dad usually has control though but I’m slowly converting him into a skating fan..

Tell Dad it's important!

It's great it's been made, and quite extraordinary that 34 years on, T/D can still pull in a Christmas Day prime slot , (legacy thread anyone, ) but is there anything left that we don't know about the UK 's most famous ever sport couple? It would be great if this show has a few pearls, but somehow I doubt it.

Also, let's hope it's not awful ( hides face in hands, gives small shudder, puts tin hat on etc etc :pray::palmf::slink:)

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
It’ll be a little awful, most TV movies are, but I hope it is able to capture the time period acutely and the feeling of the 80s and 84 Olympics. I wasn’t around then so I’d love to see what it was like for everyone.

I wonder if they’ve cast Chris Howarth and Robin Cousins for when T&D were at the 1980 Olympics? I hope so!

It is on STV, they’ve updated their online schedule to include it now thank goodness!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a wee reminder for those who can receive ITV, Scottish TV or Ulster TV:

"Torvill & Dean" starts in 10 minutes from now.

I'm actually going to give it a miss tonight. I have had far too many early mornings the past week, trying to get things done before the coverage of Japanese Nationals started each morning. And I know there is no way I can last to 23:15.

But, I've already got the tape set, and will try to get it watched tomorrow.

CaroLiza_fan

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
It should be starting in a minute!
I'm looking forward to it as I know barely anything about them except for their concept for Bolero.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
It should be starting in a minute!
I'm looking forward to it as I know barely anything about them except for their concept for Bolero.

I hope you enjoy it!

I’m the same Caroliza, my family decided to leave where we were at 9pm on the dot so I’m currently missing it. I’ve set it to record as well so I can watch it after my food coma. xD

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just wanted to let you all know that, hot on the heels of last night's film on ITV, BBC2 are tonight repeating their hour-long documentary about the Free Skate in Sarajevo.

In Great Britain, it will be shown at 22:15. In Northern Ireland, a Christmas concert by a local country singer is being shown at that time, so Jayne and Chris will be on an hour later on BBC2NI.

Wednesday 26th December 2018
BBC2 22:15 – 23:15 Torvill & Dean: The Perfect Day
BBC2NI 23:15 – 00:15 Torvill & Dean: The Perfect Day

BBC2 (i.e. Standard Definition) is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 2 on Freeview
Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 102 on Virgin Media
Digital cable (Ireland only): Ch. 109 on UPC Ireland
Digital satellite (Europe):
BBC2 England (Ch. 969 on SkyDigital) – Astra 28.2E, Transponder 45 (10.773H. MBaud 22,000. FEC 5/6).
BBC2 Scotland (Ch. 970 on SkyDigital) – Astra 28.2E, Transponder 47 (10.803H. MBaud 22,000. FEC 5/6).
BBC2 Wales (Ch. 971 on SkyDigital) – Astra 28.2E, Transponder 46 (10.788V. MBaud 22,000. FEC 5/6).
BBC2 Northern Ireland (Ch. 972 on SkyDigital) – Astra 28.2E, Transponder 48 (10.818V. MBaud 22,000. FEC 5/6).​

BBC2 HD is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 102 on Freeview
Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 162 on Virgin Media
Digital cable (Ireland only): Ch. 140 on UPC Ireland
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 115 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 50 (10.847V. MBaud 23,000. FEC 2/3).

I hope you enjoy it!

I’m the same Caroliza, my family decided to leave where we were at 9pm on the dot so I’m currently missing it. I’ve set it to record as well so I can watch it after my food coma. xD

Just thought you might be interested to know that I trimmed my recording this morning, and the programme works out at 1h 37m when you take the adverts out.

I realise this was probably not the case in the other ITV regions, but I really liked the way that there was an advert for Dundonald Ice Bowl during the first commercial break.

Looking forward to actually watching it.

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Just wanted to let you all know that, hot on the heels of last night's film on ITV, BBC2 are tonight repeating their hour-long documentary about the Free Skate in Sarajevo.

I guess the BBC thought if you can’t beat them join them! It is a great documentary.

I’m glad it only works out at 1hr and 40m. 3hrs was very intimidating. ;)

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Okay I’ve finally watched it.

My figure skating fan hat: It was sweet and interesting to see the progression of their relationship! Especially the theme of liberation on ice. What holds you back from expressing how you feel with your body? I liked that, it really represented the “dance” in ice dance. Also nice seeing Penny in a cameo as Natalia Bestemianova! The costume was perfect!

My work hat: Some of those fake crowds we diabolical! Especially in the Obersdorf scenes!

Weathergal

Medalist
When I first read everyone's posts about the movie, I was so glad to hear that figure skating -- and Torvill and Dean in particular -- were getting such prime exposure. But since I live in the ROW, as some one called it LOL, I figured I wouldn't be able to watch it, at least not anytime soon.

But today in my FB feed, a post from International Figure Skating mentioned the movie and had a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3vIF4fYs0g

So wanted to pop in and share.

Also, I'm curious what people who have seen the movie think of it. I agree with DSQ that it was interesting to see their relationship develop. And yes, those crowd scenes at Obertsdorf! That arena was waaaay bigger than the actual one, and I only wish they had those kinds of crowds. It made me chuckle but certainly didn't spoil the movie, which I enjoyed.

Off to watch some T&D programs now since I'm in the mood!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks for the link! It’s blocked in the U.K. but anyone at home can still watch it on ITV player. :)