Interview with Alexander Zhulin | Golden Skate

Interview with Alexander Zhulin

bramweld

Record Breaker
Alexander Zhulin just did a really interesting interview where he talked about Sinitsina/Katsalapov, the rivalry with Stepanova/Bukin and he even discussed coaching Ilinykh and Soloviev.

He also discussed Medvedeva and her move to Brian, improvements that he wants to see in Zagitova’s skating and his general impression of Rika Kihira!

https://fs-gossips.com/alexander-zh...o-be-as-close-as-possible-to-the-french-pair/

I absolutely don't agree with his impressions of Rika Kihara, I just think she is a lovely all round skater. Her coaches have melded the artistic with the technical beautifully and she is so young. This is only her beginning.

His comments about Zagitova I agree with because her skating skills are wanting IMHO.

As for Ilinykh/Soloviev, oh boy am I excited to see that based on their training videos and shows, with their combined talents they could be wonderful. Age? This is not an issue, Aljona Savchenko's success in spite of age and injuries should motivate them perfectly.

As for S/B and S/K it will all come down to the day, they are that close. With respect to this years programs they both have vehicles that suit them to a T. Personally I find S/B more engaging I find whatever shortcomings they may have in terms of skating skills well compensated by their other virtues, but as they say, time will tell.

Interesting interview indeed.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Agreed with him on Zhenya, i was expecting something more gracious this season on her programs, something like La Vie en Rose.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Agreed with him on Zhenya, i was expecting something more gracious this season on her programs, something like La Vie en Rose.

Yes. Their music choices for just seemed off. But anyways let's see how it all pans out.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
He’s a James and Cipres fan, he has good taste.

As for his comments in thinking that he’s “seeing the same dance” with Papadakis and Cizeron he’s not alone in thinking that but personally I think it’s a step and a different warmer direction. I’d be interested to see if they continue down that path.

He gave a great compliment to Ashley Wagner.

bramweld

Record Breaker
He’s a James and Cipres fan, he has good taste.

As for his comments in thinking that he’s “seeing the same dance” with Papadakis and Cizeron he’s not alone in thinking that but personally I think it’s a step and a different warmer direction. I’d be interested to see if they continue down that path.

He gave a great compliment to Ashley Wagner.

They are so not doing the same dance, what people keep seeing over and over again is their otherliness in terms of just pure quality. Looking back a few years from now, things will become clearer, I think.

andromache

Record Breaker
I love that Ashley Wagner is the go-to queen of bringing expressiveness to her performances that Zhulin recognizes it!!! :love:

And even if he doesn't like Rika, he recognizes how impressive her skating skills are. Wondering what he means by the Japanese having "softer legs by nature." I hope he means that they have softer legs because it's how they are taught very early on and not that they are just born with softer legs. Might just be a weird translation thing.

Vanessa/Morgan :love:

Anyway, interesting interview. I love reading commentary from coaches about disciplines they don't coach in.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So many good nuggets here.

I love that Zhulin thinks that Zhenya skates the SP remarkably well and that she simply needs more time to “gel” with Brian to make her programs perfect.

And that he needed three years to make a team “his”. Wow.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love that Ashley Wagner is the go-to queen of bringing expressiveness to her performances that Zhulin recognizes it!!! :love:

Yes! :luv17: He sees the essential Ashley and "gets" the vital quality of what she brings.

Evgenia's Orange-colored sky SP wouldn't be easy to pull off in the present day, IMO. It has a retro feel. On that subject, I'm happy to hear that she's switched to Tosca for her SP.

I know nothing about Zhulin as an ice dancer, but I really enjoyed his remarks here. For example, how he said that years ago he thought he could just tell experienced skaters what to do and let them do it, but he's changed his thinking. Like, when he watched Vika and Nikita do an exercise he'd given them, he suddenly *accidentally* saw the key to what and how he should develop Vika.

The power of attention and presence! :points: