Returning to the Sport | Golden Skate

Returning to the Sport

TheSnowQueen2013

Rinkside
Hi all,

After almost two years off of the ice, I have been thinking about returning. I have some concerns and issues with doing so, and am curious about whatever advice anyone may have, or if anyone has had the same struggles in their skating careers and could provide some insight.

My main reason for leaving was that life simply got busy (I think that really happens to us all.) As I moved on to higher education, I felt I really needed to dedicate my time to my initial year. Looking back, I am very glad I did, but this time away has allowed me to reflect on skating and whether or not I really want to go back.

One big issue for me (and probably the second biggest reason for taking a break) was feeling burnt out. As much as I loved the sport, it started to become exhausting in a multitude of ways (it's one of the hardest sports, so that's not surprising, but nonetheless discouraging.) I felt like I was making absolutely no progress and was not satisfied with the way I looked when skating. I understand that it's common to feel road-block points in skating, so perhaps a break was all that was needed to cure that. (More on my progress, ability, etc. in a moment)

Unfortunately, that was hardly my only struggle. Financially, the sport is almost impossible to keep up with (again, not a shocking fact, but significant to me.) I have to drive quite a fair distance each time I want to go to my rink, which involves the cost of travel. I think our club was dealing with some non-payment issues from members, and their prices became excessive, at least in my opinion. The cost wouldn't be an issue if it was worth the hassle, but, if I'm being honest, club ice began to feel completely unorganized and crowded, and not a huge step up from public ice (which is significantly less expensive, but impossible to properly practice higher level moves on) It's quite a small club, and the higher level skaters tend to take over. I'm sure this is common, and they certainly need more ice to perform their higher-level moves, so I respect that. But it came to a point where I was literally slammed into on a daily basis if I was not hiding in the lutz corner. The lack of spatial respect from everyone is a bit frustrating, and the club felt generally unorganized and unprofessional at times (for example, program practices got me pulling my hair out a bit :laugh:, one person would do their program three times in a row, and I'd get one interrupted turn, all thanks to the lack of a reasonably formal priority list. We were lucky if there was even anyone present to manage the music box.) I love the family and casual comfort of a small club, don't get me wrong, but when I am paying the rates I was paying, I do expect to be able to use the ice as much as the others who also pay such rates. I'd also expect a professional structure and attitude from club leaders and volunteers. The city rink itself has sufficient... messiness... to put it nicely... as it is, so some clarity and maturity is necessary to keep the balance in check.

TL;DR: skating is extremely costly, and I didn't feel that I was paying appropriate prices for what I was getting. When I have college and life costs to take care of, it's frustrating to be paying a good chunk of money that isn't respected and being put towards a good skating community and experience. I understand that they need to pay for ice, as it is expensive for them, but there's too much craziness and immaturity involved to put so much financially towards it. Things like costumes, practice attire, and sports equipment are not so much a concern as I have managed to collect what I need over the past few years, and find that they last me a reasonable amount of time as long as I care for them properly.

Beyond cost, abilities are really an issue for me. I began skating at 12-13 years old (I'm now 17), which is fairly old (not too old, but still a bit late in the game.) I must admit, I feel a bit embarrassed that I can't even manage a backspin while the six year old passing me is performing a stunning axel. :laugh: Nonetheless, I accept that whatever I put my mind to, I can achieve. I may be too old to go to an Olympic level, but with enough training and determination, I feel that I can certainly do well in the sport and still achieve some wonderful feats. My main problem is that I feel physically held back. I am overweight and have been since I was quite young. I know I've just got to lose the weight, not only for skating, but for my health in general. I think this may have been my biggest obstacle, since it affected my endurance, ability, and the way I perceive my physical appearance. Beyond that, figure skating puts enough pressure on the body on its own, but throw forty extra pounds in there and it's really going to cause some harm.

My weight can be lost (and I am planning to do so by no later than summer), especially since it's really not a whole lot to lose. But I have some odd physical issues that have reared their ugly heads when trying to perform skating moves. For example, I cannot turn my hips outward in order to perform moves such as the spread eagle. Not a required move, so not necessarily important, but the turnout problem hurts me in even the most basic spins, jumps, and footwork. In fact, right before I took my hiatus, I popped my knee just doing a lunge. As my lunges have gotten lower, I have needed to turn my hip out properly to allow my leg to lay on the ice nicely. Not happening. The incident occurred those two years ago, and I still feel problems with that knee (it will wobble if I stand on it a certain way, for instance.) If doing something as simple as a lunge puts me out of walking for a week, and causes apparently permanent effects, I can't imagine myself ever being able to handle an axel or double jumps, performing decent footwork, or dealing with the consequences of the injuries attained from such moves. Injuries are a part of skating, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. However, most are a result of accidental misplacement of the body from slips, falls, whacks, etc., not from ripping my knee out of place because I want to turn my leg a little further out.

Additionally, I've noticed that I have exercise induced asthma. Silly as it sounds, it is a real, and painful problem. Let's just say I was a book-reader/gamer kid and probably didn't get the physical activity in my childhood that I should have. I completely feel that the asthma symptoms are a result of extra weight and a sedentary lifestyle, and can be overcome, but it still does concern me that it could be a lasting condition for me. The cold from the rink exacerbates the problem further, causing me to wheeze and hack throughout most sessions. I have had people and coaches genuinely concerned that I was having an asthma attack, so I know it's not an all-in-the-head thing.

To summarize, I've got a lot of shaping up to do before I even think about getting back on the ice, and with that, I may have unchangeable physical issues that will prevent me from reaching my skating goals. Ultimately, I'm really not sure if I'm willing to endure the injuries one must go through to become an accomplished skater.

Finally, I felt that the path I was on was not in line with my goals. I think that I enjoy recreational kinds of figure skating (shows and exhibitions) more than competitive, and I was definitely training for competitive purposes during my skating career. Between my experiences, I have enjoyed doing programs with my club far more than competing against other skaters. Testing and competing simply have no appeal to me. I find them either boring or anxiety-inducing (beyond the normal nerves we all get). Shows, however, are exciting and rewarding. I love simply entertaining an audience and working with my fellow club members on a beautiful and spectacular project. I'm not so worried about rigid technicality as I am simply working with the choreography and using skating as an art form. I love how it's the union between thrilling athleticism and emotionally moving dance. The feeling I get from recreational skating is what made me fall in love with the sport and fight for it to begin with, and perhaps, through training for competitions, I forgot that.

jf12

Final Flight
There's a lot of great things about being an adult recreational skater, which is, if there's something your body doesn't want to do, nobody is going to make you do it. You can skate just fine never doing a lunge, spread eagle, or axel in your life. Only you can decide for yourself what you want to do, and I hope your coach is on board with it. If club ice is so bad, and you're a student, maybe you could skate on unpopular times in public more, and also, consider getting involved in your club if you have the time. You could be giving some input into freestyle rules that could improve things for everyone.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There's a lot of great things about being an adult recreational skater, which is, if there's something your body doesn't want to do, nobody is going to make you do it. You can skate just fine never doing a lunge, spread eagle, or axel in your life. Only you can decide for yourself what you want to do, and I hope your coach is on board with it. If club ice is so bad, and you're a student, maybe you could skate on unpopular times in public more, and also, consider getting involved in your club if you have the time. You could be giving some input into freestyle rules that could improve things for everyone.

:agree:

khi

Rinkside
You've got a lot of things to think about and hopefully you manage to find a conclusion that you're happy with, whether or not that involves figure skating :) just a couple things from my own experience - I have extremely poor hip turnout so ina bauer etc is very challenging, however it's something that it may be worth talking to a physio about as it can also be to do with muscle imbalances causing the joint to not move properly (this is what my physio told me, IANAD), but despite the crappy turnout my hips don't cause me issues with most moves (also might be worth seeing a physio about the injured knee, they can help you strengthen it up again).

Re: exercise/cold induced asthma - I have this, and have had since I was a kid, so it'll never go away. It's totally not a problem! I have a preventative inhaler that I take daily and I often take a puff of my other inhaler just before I jump on the ice, go for a walk in the cold, etc. It stops any problems flaring up. Breathing is important so if you're concerned about it, then again, I recommend seeing a doctor :)

Good luck with working out what you want to do! Just wanted to share my own experiences with a couple of your skating problems. Recreational skating is plenty of fun even if you never achieve double jumps (double jumps were my goal but after a bad injury a few months ago, my personal goals have been downgraded to just "singles and nice footwork" when I get back to the ice :p )!

loopy

Final Flight
Personally- with your small list of likes and the huge list of dislikes, I'm of the thought that... maybe there is something you might like to do more? At my daughter's rink there is a tiny holiday recital and another rink does an annual show and that is it. Anything else involves testing or competing. Since you are 17 and in college, I'd give the same advice I'd give my daughter (she is 16), try something new. Fencing, social dance, rugby, rowing, skiing, aerial - there are a lot of crazy physical options - my cousin just graduated from college and for 4 years she took waterskiing for PE! Good luck!

Arpakasso

Rinkside
I'm a recreational skater, and due to age, job, money and many other reason I will never compete at anything in figure skating. I still love it, I love improving my skills, I love gaining more and more control over my skates.

So, what do you love about figure skating, for yourself? Start there: you say shows and presentations, working with a team - have you considered synchronized skating? It's still competitive, but with a very different focus than single or pairs categories.

participating more in the organisation of your skating club can also help to open opportunities to do the things you like - you might find like-minded people in your club who would work with you. together, you might get the higher-ups to make opportunities to accomodate your wishes better. starting with better organized club ice sessions, but maybe also to get more people who are not the best at everything to participate in club shows or the like.

quitting the club for good and focusing on another sport might also be a solution. dance is also an aesthetic sport, but with far more different styles that can accomodate more diverse body types etc easier... (belly dancers look VERY different from ballerinas, but both have highly impressive dance skills!) There are quite a few dance styles that are far less hard on the body than figure skating - not ballett, obviously, but for example belly dance and ballroom dancing both are practized by people of many ages with far less problems than many other styles.

all of your medical issues should probably be checked by a medical professional. the knee, the asthma - it would probably help you a lot to get a professional opinion on what is going on and what can be done against it. If health insurance is a problem: Well, I'd really try either getting that, for many reasons, or just flee from the US to a country that provides healthcare for all its people. Your health is important to do anything and everything you want to do, and without being heatly it's all just that much more hard. and more often than not, at least knowing what's going on will give you perspective on what you still want to do despite or regarding any health issues.

taling years for any testing, not testing at all, it's up to you, aou're old enough to decide for yourself. if your club doesn't want people hanging around who won't achieve much, look for one that's more oriented towards non-competitive people, if that's not available... well. you are getting closer to the age where you can move to different places on your own, might even have to to get higher education. you can have a look further away for opportunities to do what you actually like.

Good luck with whatever road you chose!