Timing for upgrading boots/blades | Golden Skate

Timing for upgrading boots/blades

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Thanks in advance for your advice. I’ve been reading tons of boot and blade posts and learning quiet a bit but I still would value others advice on when to switch my daughters skates.

My younger skater is 80 lbs and in LTS freestyle 6 right now. She has all her single jumps and working on her axel, with additional coaching, and skating at least three times a week.

She is close to growing out of her skates and complaining about her ankles hurting, so I came on the internet to do some reasearch. It’s somewhat alarming that she’s skating on Jackson excel skates right now. I was planning one waiting until after testing on January 21st. And even a bit longer since she has a skate camp with high level coaches on January 26th. Now I’m wondering if I should go ahead and put her in either the Elle or the Freestyle skate immediately. It will have to be ordered. Since she’s been fairly underbooted until now, I’m worried about a break in period. And at the same time worried she’s going to work on jumps and etc with a boot that’s not rated for the things she’s doing. Is there risk of injury during jumps or through general skating? I realize she could fail her test if she has new boots possibly as well.

The Jacksons do fit well for her and the split width from the elite last was something that would work well for her foot. Our skate fitter is brand new to Jackson’s and we don’t have one of those awesome boot fitters anywhere nearby. Especially if I want to get her in a new boot ASAP.

So should I wait to get her boots so she’s not Trying to break in her boots or do I order them ASAP?

UPDATE:
We had a great trip to a fitter 3 hours away but it was well worth it! She had a variety of boots. And carefully measured and tried on sizes and styles to see how they all felt. She also watched her off ice jump and flex and even examined her old skates to see how she wore into them. There was even a form where she asked a bunch of questions, so very thorough! She was also amazed at her former skates! It was the talk of the shop LOL. But since my skater had a good ankle flex and fit in the Debut firm, we went those. I was surprised but my daughter had really good bend and flex in the firmer boot. The fitter felt confident they were a good fit since the freestyle was 45 and the debut's came in at 40/50 she didn't feel it was overbooting her. Mostly because of watching her flex in the exact boot and in the exact size. Maybe she has good ankle strength from skating in her floppy ones? LOL She went up one size which was expected but even went a bit wider which wasn't. One foot is slightly wider than the other, and it was a toss up but we went on my daughter's feedback and actually trying them on. It's a good fit without too much growing space. It just goes to show you can't rely only on measurement. They also heat molded her skates, and they did such a good job wrapping it around her foot and getting them laced tight and fitted. My daughter is excited to get on the ice!

Now we need blades. The coach had more confidence in the Coronation Ace or MK Pros for my daughter VS the Legacy 8 but I'm not sure if it's just because those are more popular? She seems to favor the Coro Ace but I need to do more thinking on that one myself. LOL

I am so grateful for the support and advice to help me feel confident asking a lot of questions while she was being fitted and making a confident decision. And the encouragement to drive up to see the fitter. I mean it seems crazy to someone outside of skating. LOL It turns out most skaters in my area make the drive! I found this out while talking with my skater's coach! LOL.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks in advance for your advice. I’ve been reading tons of boot and blade posts and learning quiet a bit but I still would value others advice on when to switch my daughters skates.

My younger skater is 80 lbs and in LTS freestyle 6 right now. She has all her single jumps and working on her axel, with additional coaching, and skating at least three times a week.

She is close to growing out of her skates and complaining about her ankles hurting, so I came on the internet to do some reasearch. It’s somewhat alarming that she’s skating on Jackson excel skates right now. I was planning one waiting until after testing on January 21st. And even a bit longer since she has a skate camp with high level coaches on January 26th. Now I’m wondering if I should go ahead and put her in either the Elle or the Freestyle skate immediately. It will have to be ordered. Since she’s been fairly underbooted until now, I’m worried about a break in period. And at the same time worried she’s going to work on jumps and etc with a boot that’s not rated for the things she’s doing. Is there risk of injury during jumps or through general skating? I realize she could fail her test if she has new boots possibly as well.

The Jacksons do fit well for her and the split width from the elite last was something that would work well for her foot. Our skate fitter is brand new to Jackson’s and we don’t have one of those awesome boot fitters anywhere nearby. Especially if I want to get her in a new boot ASAP.

So should I wait to get her boots so she’s not Trying to break in her boots or do I order them ASAP?

If it was me, I'd get her fitted and the boots/blades ordered ASAP. They shouldn't have a long break in period, but it is unsafe for her to be jumping axels in her current boots, and I would hate for her to get injured (esp if it's the ankles, b/c I can tell you from personal experience those nag forever once you get one).

If you need anything else, you are welcome to ask here, or come to my inbox.

Good luck! :)

Sunshine247

On the Ice
If it was me, I'd get her fitted and the boots/blades ordered ASAP. They shouldn't have a long break in period, but it is unsafe for her to be jumping axels in her current boots, and I would hate for her to get injured (esp if it's the ankles, b/c I can tell you from personal experience those nag forever once you get one).

If you need anything else, you are welcome to ask here, or come to my inbox.

Good luck! :)

Thank you so much for validating my concerns! It takes more than just reading specs on a website to make good judgement calls. And no one wants to be “that mom” So it’s great to have a forum and knowledgeable members to help bridge the gap.

So I guess my next two concerns are Elle vs Freestyle for B and if my other daughter G needs to be upgraded from her Elle skate immediately as well. She’s older but at the same level and only 110. She’s a light floaty skater while my younger daughter is more aggressive. Would you say there’s a percentage or any way to scale weight to stiffness ratio? Something quantifiable? I’m going back to the charts but not sure the advantages to the different bladees, tongues, and other specs. Both are the new fusion style so many things are equivalent for the Elle and Freestyle. Ugh. Lol.

I’m questioning so much after previously making such a poor decision. I’ve been an athlete and had my own injuries as well. I feel your pain! So this is exactly the situation i had been trying to avoid!

Thanks again!

cl2

Final Flight
How often is your skater skating? It may take a several weeks or up to a couple of months to fully break in skates, but in actuality, provided you do it correctly under the guidance of Coach, a couple of sessions is all it takes to begin to regain almost all skills.

I had to get new boots (Jackson Premieres) about 3 weeks before my Adult Silver FS test, which I passed. So it's doable, especially if you are already sufficiently prepared for the test before changing skates.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Cl2. I’m glad to hear your experience. That makes me more confident in the decidsion to get new skates. Her coach was a bit hesitant for new skates surprisingly. I’m thinking she didn’t really look at which skates she’s in to be honest. Those things sort of get overlooked day to day. Her skills are fairly solid since her coach is very conservative and won’t let her skaters test until they can more than pass.

My daughter’s young and fairly adaptable at this point luckily. She skates a minimum of three times a week and with her coach at least twice. Hopefully that will be enough. She is on break from school and I talked with her about skating some extra sessions to help break into her skates. That made her happy. Lol.

But, ultimately her health and safety precludes testing at this point. If she’s doing the camp at the end of January, she should be at least partially broken in and I want her in safe equipment! Now to figure out what to get! I’m trying to find a place within a few hours that would allow us to physically try them on and have a decent fitter available.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Cl2. I’m glad to hear your experience. That makes me more confident in the decidsion to get new skates. Her coach was a bit hesitant for new skates surprisingly. I’m thinking she didn’t really look at which skates she’s in to be honest. Those things sort of get overlooked day to day. Her skills are fairly solid since her coach is very conservative and won’t let her skaters test until they can more than pass.

When I was a kid/teen, I got to Freeskate 1 in used recreational skates in my shoe size. Not a single coach ever told me that my skates were huge, broken down, and far beneath my level. The closest I got was one person who wasn't even my coach saying that they lacked ankle support.

I don't know if they didn't notice or just didn't care, but I'm lucky I never got hurt. I have no idea what the story is with coaches who never say anything about bad skates, but yours isn't the only one.

That being said, I stopped skating for a long time and started again this May. Despite being a little past my former level now, I'm still in recreational skates for financial reasons, but they're always the elephant in the room. We know it's not an ideal situation and take precautions accordingly. I can't imagine anyone letting me jump Axels in them! I'm finally getting appropriate skates hopefully within the week, and I'm glad your daughter will be getting some, too.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hi There,

I've commented before many times on Jacksons here. My skater went from the Artiste (ISI FS 1 - 3) - Elle (ISI FS 4-6 beginning Axel) - Debut Fusion (Axel/2s/2t/2Lo). She had no break in issues at all in any of her boots and is a perfect Jackson fit. On going from the Elle to the Debut she tested and passed Preliminary MITF 3 days after getting them.

As far as which ones are best for your skaters' level, our 2 fitters insist Jackson boots are much stiffer than Jackson markets them as. A quick look at the Jackson website and they don't even give skill recommendations for their boot/blade sets any longer. We've been told the Elle (Jackson rated at the time for beginning jumps) could have lasted through Axel, but she outgrew them (not a mark or crease on them, she was about 65 lbs at the time) and we wanted something a little stiffer going into doubles. We were caught in the middle of Jackson's new boot introduction and the Freestyle wasn't available so we chose the Debut Fusion standard. It is considered by all the fitters and coaches we've consulted to be a very stiff boot.

Comfort wise yours could probably step right into the Elle. It's a very nice boot, but not the greatest blade, and that really held mine back with footwork and spins. She might not be in those very long however if she's working on her Axel, and I'd advise against it at this point.

So, your choice comes down to the Freestyle boot/Aspire XP blade, and the Debut/CA or MK Pro. I have no experience with the Freestyle, the Jackson stiffness numbers are the same for both. I'd ask either Jackson (they are really responsive to customer inquiries, always get back to me within a day or so) or a fitter to compare the two boots and find out if they are comparable. If so, I'd go with the Debut option at this point since you'll want that intermediate freestyle blade pretty quickly anyway.

I'm sorry there are no fitters in your area, that is really the best way to go. I'd take a drive to find one (even a looooong one), especially to have them heat molded to help with break in. You will not save any money ordering skates online, ever, it's just the nature of the business.

Best of luck to you and your skaters.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Hi There,

I've commented before many times on Jacksons here. My skater went from the Artiste (ISI FS 1 - 3) - Elle (ISI FS 4-6 beginning Axel) - Debut Fusion (Axel/2s/2t/2Lo). She had no break in issues at all in any of her boots and is a perfect Jackson fit. On going from the Elle to the Debut she tested and passed Preliminary MITF 3 days after getting them.

As far as which ones are best for your skaters' level, our 2 fitters insist Jackson boots are much stiffer than Jackson markets them as. A quick look at the Jackson website and they don't even give skill recommendations for their boot/blade sets any longer. We've been told the Elle (Jackson rated at the time for beginning jumps) could have lasted through Axel, but she outgrew them (not a mark or crease on them, she was about 65 lbs at the time) and we wanted something a little stiffer going into doubles. We were caught in the middle of Jackson's new boot introduction and the Freestyle wasn't available so we chose the Debut Fusion standard. It is considered by all the fitters and coaches we've consulted to be a very stiff boot.

Comfort wise yours could probably step right into the Elle. It's a very nice boot, but not the greatest blade, and that really held mine back with footwork and spins. She might not be in those very long however if she's working on her Axel, and I'd advise against it at this point.

So, your choice comes down to the Freestyle boot/Aspire XP blade, and the Debut/CA or MK Pro. I have no experience with the Freestyle, the Jackson stiffness numbers are the same for both. I'd ask either Jackson (they are really responsive to customer inquiries, always get back to me within a day or so) or a fitter to compare the two boots and find out if they are comparable. If so, I'd go with the Debut option at this point since you'll want that intermediate freestyle blade pretty quickly anyway.

I'm sorry there are no fitters in your area, that is really the best way to go. I'd take a drive to find one (even a looooong one), especially to have them heat molded to help with break in. You will not save any money ordering skates online, ever, it's just the nature of the business.

Best of luck to you and your skaters.

Thanks so much! This is such great information. Thanks for all the details. I've probably read some of your posts on Jacksons lol

We have an Edea person who just started in the area and the rink shop just started as a Jackson dealer. So not a lot of experience with either local option. Neither carries any stock so its tricky. But they do have equipment to heat mold the skates. FWIW. I would definitely prefer to support our local dealers rather than order online, if I don't make a drive.

I have read feedback that the Debut Fusion doesn't fit the same as the Freestyle Fusion so I reached out to a shop that's only a 3 hour drive away lol. If they carry stock in her size we will make the drive. I also considered putting different blades on the boot no matter if it came as a set in the freestyle, if it fit better than the debut. I don't really understand the difference in those two boots other than maybe a different fit? Does that sound like a reasonable option? Kinda out of the box but if it gets her a comfortable set up that works better, so be it. Blades are a whole other story! I see so many other variables those too. I hope I can make it to a good fitter. I'm still doing a ton of research before hand though. I am just getting a feel for 7" vs 8"....so many details.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
When I was a kid/teen, I got to Freeskate 1 in used recreational skates in my shoe size. Not a single coach ever told me that my skates were huge, broken down, and far beneath my level. The closest I got was one person who wasn't even my coach saying that they lacked ankle support.

I don't know if they didn't notice or just didn't care, but I'm lucky I never got hurt. I have no idea what the story is with coaches who never say anything about bad skates, but yours isn't the only one.

That being said, I stopped skating for a long time and started again this May. Despite being a little past my former level now, I'm still in recreational skates for financial reasons, but they're always the elephant in the room. We know it's not an ideal situation and take precautions accordingly. I can't imagine anyone letting me jump Axels in them! I'm finally getting appropriate skates hopefully within the week, and I'm glad your daughter will be getting some, too.

Thanks for your input. I was her Mom and feel like I made a horrible mistake not seeing they weren't adequate.

I am grateful that I was ready to buy her new skates. There are so many expenses with skating it's definitely a balancing act in and of it's own.

Good luck with your skating!

Sibelius

On the Ice
Thanks so much! This is such great information. Thanks for all the details. I've probably read some of your posts on Jacksons lol

We have an Edea person who just started in the area and the rink shop just started as a Jackson dealer. So not a lot of experience with either local option. Neither carries any stock so its tricky. But they do have equipment to heat mold the skates. FWIW. I would definitely prefer to support our local dealers rather than order online, if I don't make a drive.

I have read feedback that the Debut Fusion doesn't fit the same as the Freestyle Fusion so I reached out to a shop that's only a 3 hour drive away lol. If they carry stock in her size we will make the drive. I also considered putting different blades on the boot no matter if it came as a set in the freestyle, if it fit better than the debut. I don't really understand the difference in those two boots other than maybe a different fit? Does that sound like a reasonable option? Kinda out of the box but if it gets her a comfortable set up that works better, so be it. Blades are a whole other story! I see so many other variables those too. I hope I can make it to a good fitter. I'm still doing a ton of research before hand though. I am just getting a feel for 7" vs 8"....so many details.

They are supposed to be built on the same Elite last, so theoretically the fit should be similar. Theory only goes so far I've discovered, that's why it's so important to find a good fitter. I personally prefer the style of the Debut over the new Elle and Freestyle Fusions, that wide cuff over the front of the ankle must give some additional support, but looks meh.

Quite a few people replace the stock blades immediately on the Jackson skates, our fitter loves the boots, but wishes Jackson would sell a softer model without the blades. We changed blades on her Elles and her spins and footwork improved markedly.

I understand the scramble. I'm still learning which questions to ask my skater, are they tight? are your toes curled? is your ankle moving...and I still end up with her needing new boots NOW! And nobody stocks anything!

Sunshine247

On the Ice
They are supposed to be built on the same Elite last, so theoretically the fit should be similar. Theory only goes so far I've discovered, that's why it's so important to find a good fitter. I personally prefer the style of the Debut over the new Elle and Freestyle Fusions, that wide cuff over the front of the ankle must give some additional support, but looks meh.

The last is the same but I was wondering about the fit of the upper with the tongue being different. Her tongues tend to slip to the outside as she flexes her boots and she loves sit spins so its always moved by the end of an hour LOL. I don't know how the different tongues will effect her fit and I can't wait to let her try some on. I'm planning on getting her blades positioned properly ASAP by our really good blade guy. He permanently mounted/fixed my older daughters blades on her Elle's

Quite a few people replace the stock blades immediately on the Jackson skates, our fitter loves the boots, but wishes Jackson would sell a softer model without the blades. We changed blades on her Elles and her spins and footwork improved markedly.

Good to know! Did you go with the CA blades on your daughters Elle's? They seem the close to the same profile as the stock Jacksons and might be an easier adjustment.

I understand the scramble. I'm still learning which questions to ask my skater, are they tight? are your toes curled? is your ankle moving...and I still end up with her needing new boots NOW! And nobody stocks anything!

I had no idea until she complained about her ankles. I knew she was lose to needing skates. She technically has room in her skate so I didn't realize I was going to be in such a rush LOL I am definitely going to decide between the Freestyle and Debut but since the debut is 40 stiffness for the moderate boot, if I buy blades anyway, those might be the better choice. Thanks so much for all your input!

Another issue....I'm not sure my skate shop can order/fit different blades. Not sure where the upper level skaters are getting their skates but they travel to competitions.

cl2

Final Flight

My daughter’s young and fairly adaptable at this point luckily. She skates a minimum of three times a week and with her coach at least twice. Hopefully that will be enough. She is on break from school and I talked with her about skating some extra sessions to help break into her skates. That made her happy. Lol.

But, ultimately her health and safety precludes testing at this point. If she’s doing the camp at the end of January, she should be at least partially broken in and I want her in safe equipment! Now to figure out what to get! I’m trying to find a place within a few hours that would allow us to physically try them on and have a decent fitter available.

Extra sessions helps. I skated 4-5 days a week when I was breaking in my new boots before my test. During my first couple of sessions in my new skates, my coach got me to work a lot on basic skills, bending knees and ankles, working "into" to the skates and learning to adjust to the new skates.

Finding the right skates fit is important, too. My switch was from Riedells to Jackson, but immediately when I stepped on the ice I knew the fit was better for my foot, because many things that I struggled with in the old boot magically went away with the new boot.

One mistake I made, though, was to not get the correct amount of punch-out soon enough. I was being conservative (once you punch-out, you cannot un-punch it) and thought that the pressure point on the inside of my foot was just part and parcel of breaking in the boots, but ultimately I realized that it was causing me to break in the skate wrongly.

If it helps your skater, some tips I learnt about breaking in my skates. Use a hair dryer to warm the inside of the skates just before wearing, makes it a little more comfortable to put them on your feet. (But do not heat the exterior.) Use masking tape to prevent blisters, without needing gel pads that could change the spacing in the boot. Tape copious amounts of it directly to the skin, to ensure it doesn't move while skating. (But don't tape over an existing blister, because it will seriously hurt when you try to remove it.)

Good luck!

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Extra sessions helps. I skated 4-5 days a week when I was breaking in my new boots before my test. During my first couple of sessions in my new skates, my coach got me to work a lot on basic skills, bending knees and ankles, working "into" to the skates and learning to adjust to the new skates.

Finding the right skates fit is important, too. My switch was from Riedells to Jackson, but immediately when I stepped on the ice I knew the fit was better for my foot, because many things that I struggled with in the old boot magically went away with the new boot.

One mistake I made, though, was to not get the correct amount of punch-out soon enough. I was being conservative (once you punch-out, you cannot un-punch it) and thought that the pressure point on the inside of my foot was just part and parcel of breaking in the boots, but ultimately I realized that it was causing me to break in the skate wrongly.

If it helps your skater, some tips I learnt about breaking in my skates. Use a hair dryer to warm the inside of the skates just before wearing, makes it a little more comfortable to put them on your feet. (But do not heat the exterior.) Use masking tape to prevent blisters, without needing gel pads that could change the spacing in the boot. Tape copious amounts of it directly to the skin, to ensure it doesn't move while skating. (But don't tape over an existing blister, because it will seriously hurt when you try to remove it.)

Good luck!

Good tip about the tape! She uses a gel sleeve for her heel in her current skates so I'm glad you mentioned that. Makes sense but I might have automatically had her wear them which doesn't sound like the right thing. I'm going to get her skates heat molded fairly soon into the break in period too. And I need to stock up on blister band aids. And hopefully not use them! She fits well in the Jackson skates she has now so hopefully it'll be a smooth transition. I'll update!
Thanks!

Sibelius

On the Ice
I had no idea until she complained about her ankles. I knew she was lose to needing skates. She technically has room in her skate so I didn't realize I was going to be in such a rush LOL I am definitely going to decide between the Freestyle and Debut but since the debut is 40 stiffness for the moderate boot, if I buy blades anyway, those might be the better choice. Thanks so much for all your input!

Another issue....I'm not sure my skate shop can order/fit different blades. Not sure where the upper level skaters are getting their skates but they travel to competitions.

I got a wonderful price on 3 pairs of Riedell Eclipse Mists (CA "clone") at the time. They were being closed out (replaced by the Aurora) and were originally priced at $225, I paid $89 and bought 3 pairs in different sizes. They got her started for cheap, but we chose to go genuine Wilson on her Debuts. At the time she had maybe 3 months left in her Elles and I really wanted to get her on an intermediate blade without spending $500 on two pair when she outgrew the first ones. Blades are a bit different than boots, you can order them yourself anywhere (even Amazon!) as long as you get the proper size (there are charts, or you can ask Jackson what size blade for the boot size) and your tech is willing to mount them. Beware of Wilson blade quality lately (hand made with the drawbacks of that process), our first pair had a misshapen tooth. It was replaced. Our other tech rejects lots of Wilson blades as out of spec., but when they're right they're really special. Again, I would recommend a long drive over online ordering if possible, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do to keep them going. Yes, skaters get things done at competitions. We had Nationals here and afterward EVERYONE (almost) was wearing Edea's when it was over.

That tongue on the Freestyle with the lace slits might help keep it in place.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
I got a wonderful price on 3 pairs of Riedell Eclipse Mists (CA "clone") at the time. They were being closed out (replaced by the Aurora) and were originally priced at $225, I paid $89 and bought 3 pairs in different sizes. They got her started for cheap, but we chose to go genuine Wilson on her Debuts. At the time she had maybe 3 months left in her Elles and I really wanted to get her on an intermediate blade without spending $500 on two pair when she outgrew the first ones. Blades are a bit different than boots, you can order them yourself anywhere (even Amazon!) as long as you get the proper size (there are charts, or you can ask Jackson what size blade for the boot size) and your tech is willing to mount them. Beware of Wilson blade quality lately (hand made with the drawbacks of that process), our first pair had a misshapen tooth. It was replaced. Our other tech rejects lots of Wilson blades as out of spec., but when they're right they're really special. Again, I would recommend a long drive over online ordering if possible, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do to keep them going. Yes, skaters get things done at competitions. We had Nationals here and afterward EVERYONE (almost) was wearing Edea's when it was over.

That tongue on the Freestyle with the lace slits might help keep it in place.

Thanks you, thank you, thank you for all your help. I really appreciate your time.

I googled the eclipse Mists and found them online clearance for 99$ at Kinzies Closet! (they are great for information too). Also there's an Ultima Legacy(not the two piece matrix) that supposedly mimics the coronation ace blades as well. It is an 8" blade at 199$ Plus also being Jackson, I might be able to get it at the same time as the skate order. I'm wondering if the 7" rocker is better than the 8" rocker for her. It seems like the extra stability is good since she spins well on her current beginner blades now and shes just starting axels. Her coach can give input I guess. The differing rocker radius will probably change the sweet spot for spins as well so I plan on digging some more. Those seem like good beginnings without a huge investment. Hopefully!! I'd do the Eclipse Mists in a heartbeat if the rocker change wasn't a whole different consideration....

Its been so helpful to have real person feedback from another skate mom! I feel so much more confident choosing her new skates. My plan is to visit the local rink skate shop when we skate this wednesday. I can ask questions and see what they have to try on. There are some other posts with great info on what to do when trying on skates. Boy did I learn a lot! We will have her try on the Freestyle and the Debut if they have it, they might have more to try on since last time they were new to Jackson. Otherwise, we'll head to the skate shop 3 hrs away. I'll wait to order a blade once we know the boot and depending on her coaches input. Phew

Sibelius

On the Ice
Thanks you, thank you, thank you for all your help. I really appreciate your time.

I googled the eclipse Mists and found them online clearance for 99$ at Kinzies Closet! (they are great for information too). Also there's an Ultima Legacy(not the two piece matrix) that supposedly mimics the coronation ace blades as well. It is an 8" blade at 199$ Plus also being Jackson, I might be able to get it at the same time as the skate order. I'm wondering if the 7" rocker is better than the 8" rocker for her. It seems like the extra stability is good since she spins well on her current beginner blades now and shes just starting axels. Her coach can give input I guess. The differing rocker radius will probably change the sweet spot for spins as well so I plan on digging some more. Those seem like good beginnings without a huge investment. Hopefully!! I'd do the Eclipse Mists in a heartbeat if the rocker change wasn't a whole different consideration....

Its been so helpful to have real person feedback from another skate mom! I feel so much more confident choosing her new skates. My plan is to visit the local rink skate shop when we skate this wednesday. I can ask questions and see what they have to try on. There are some other posts with great info on what to do when trying on skates. Boy did I learn a lot! We will have her try on the Freestyle and the Debut if they have it, they might have more to try on since last time they were new to Jackson. Otherwise, we'll head to the skate shop 3 hrs away. I'll wait to order a blade once we know the boot and depending on her coaches input. Phew

I got really lucky when I spied those blades on Ebay, and had a fitter who would mount them for us (she won't touch boots bought elsewhere, but has no trouble with blades). From what I gather, they aren't an exact copy of the CA, but pretty close for much less. She definitely prefers her CA now, and can't wait for the Pattern 99 next, but it got her moving in the right direction on footwork and spins. My philosophy at this point is to ask the coaches, ask the boot maker and fitter, listen to what my skater has to say and put it together as best I can until she is experienced enough to take over and speak for herself. I think that's coming, because she definitely knows what she's after now. I also can't wait for her feet to stop growing, that will be a big relief, then we'll only have to change when she breaks them down, not outgrows them.

General consensus (from what I've gathered) is that 7' main rocker, better for footwork and spins, 8' main rocker better and more stable for higher level jumps. Spin rockers are really important too, and that's going to be trial and error for most skaters it seems. Most of the intermediate blades have similar spin rockers, though there are differences. Coaching preferences are the way to choose until the skater has gone through enough (expensive) trial and error I would suggest.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Thanks for your input. I was her Mom and feel like I made a horrible mistake not seeing they weren't adequate.

I am grateful that I was ready to buy her new skates. There are so many expenses with skating it's definitely a balancing act in and of it's own.

Good luck with your skating!

You're welcome! Try not to feel too bad. That should be the coach's job, not yours.

Thank you! I actually just got fitted and ordered a pair of Freestyles. I saw you were considering those and the Debut, which were the choices for me as well. I went with Freestyle based on my level and budget, but my most advanced jump (yet) is a single Salchow, and I'm long finished growing. I don't think the Freestyle would have been an option if I were doing Axels and not permanently teeny-tiny. So, take from that what you will if you think it could be relevant.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Go with the 8ft rocker blades. That way it's easier when she moves up in blades, top of the line JWilson blades are all 8ft rockers.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Go with the 8ft rocker blades. That way it's easier when she moves up in blades, top of the line JWilson blades are all 8ft rockers.

The only intermediate FS blade I know of that has an 8' rocker is the Ultima Legacy 8, everything else is 7'. We'll be shifting in 6 months or so to either Gold Seal or Pattern 99. We could stay with 7' with the MK Phantom, but might as well switch now, hope it's not too drastic a change. Incidentally, I'm starting to see a few more revolutions on our FS sessions now, mostly on the smaller skaters (as mine is), I'd bet for weight savings, but maybe for shock absorption as well? That might be a reason to give them a try when the time comes.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The only intermediate FS blade I know of that has an 8' rocker is the Ultima Legacy 8, everything else is 7'. We'll be shifting in 6 months or so to either Gold Seal or Pattern 99. We could stay with 7' with the MK Phantom, but might as well switch now, hope it's not too drastic a change. Incidentally, I'm starting to see a few more revolutions on our FS sessions now, mostly on the smaller skaters (as mine is), I'd bet for weight savings, but maybe for shock absorption as well? That might be a reason to give them a try when the time comes.

She was talking about the Legacy 8 and that was the one I told her to go with, hence me saying: Go with the 8ft rocker blade.