Timing for upgrading boots/blades | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Timing for upgrading boots/blades

Sibelius

On the Ice
She was talking about the Legacy 8 and that was the one I told her to go with, hence me saying: Go with the 8ft rocker blade.

Oh, I saw in another thread you weren't a fan of Ultima blades so I thought there was something else. I saw a reference somewhere that the Paramount clones of the CA and MK Pro were 8', but wasn't able to verify that. Wouldn't make much sense anyway if they are supposed to be clones.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, and thanks for all the great advice you share with us here.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Oh, I saw in another thread you weren't a fan of Ultima blades so I thought there was something else. I saw a reference somewhere that the Paramount clones of the CA and MK Pro were 8', but wasn't able to verify that. Wouldn't make much sense anyway if they are supposed to be clones.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, and thanks for all the great advice you share with us here.

I definitely learned a lot over the last few days with lots direction from this forum. So grateful. I’ve been able to sort through tons of info more quickly and it does seem such an individual thing to choose skates and now blades. Lol.

I am leaning more towards the 8” rocker at this point too. Since my skater has skated so long in them. Plus with such a big jump in boots I don’t want to make too many changes. Even though it seems really limiting. She might benefit from more stability from the 8” while learning the axel. But she’s been skating in recreational boots and does pretty well. Lol. Who knows.

I’ll be able to have a better discussion with the coach this week. I’m sure when she realizes what skates she’s in now she’ll have some good advice. If she were struggling more it would have been more noticble she was in inappropriate skates maybe. We started discussing skates already and freestyle was one skate suggested. So it’s not far off to start discussing blades etc. I feel most skaters at our rink seem underbooted!

I still can’t believe she’s in those skates! I thought she was in the skate one level up when we bought them. I even re-checked her skate bag thinking surely I was wrong. Nope. Excel skates.

Thanks to everyone for such a good discussion. Enjoy your Holidays!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

The remark about Paramount blades probably came from me. I wrote that it was not clear from the Paramount website whether the main rocker radius of their CA and CP models were 7' or 8' (no explicit spec listed), and that potential buyers should check with Paramount directly [especially since one of their videos essentially says that the main rocker radius is not all that important]. Note they are not advertised as "clones" of Wilson or MK blades, but as "comparable to" Wilson or MK blades, which means anything a marketing guy wants it to mean. They're not the only ones playing that game. Note that Jackson Ultima has the Matrix Legacy, Legacy 7, and Legacy 8 all advertised as "comparable to Wilson Coronation [Ace] & MK Professional".

Sunshine247

On the Ice
The remark about Paramount blades probably came from me. I wrote that it was not clear from the Paramount website whether the main rocker radius of their CA and CP models were 7' or 8' (no explicit spec listed), and that potential buyers should check with Paramount directly [especially since one of their videos essentially says that the main rocker radius is not all that important]. Note they are not advertised as "clones" of Wilson or MK blades, but as "comparable to" Wilson or MK blades, which means anything a marketing guy wants it to mean. They're not the only ones playing that game. Note that Jackson Ultima has the Matrix Legacy, Legacy 7, and Legacy 8 all advertised as "comparable to Wilson Coronation [Ace] & MK Professional".

Lol. Yeah. The curves at the front of the blades are completely different on the two brands. The compound curvature is a complex thing. I’m an engineer by education and love to nerd out on analysis of these things. But as mentioned, it’s really down to experience and preference. I’ll be sure to comment on what we end up with and give some feedback. I’m super curious to see what the legacy blade profile actually is. The front radius for spins isn’t described. And I haven’t seen any real feedback on them. They don’t seem to be a popular option. Kinda a low/intermediate blade is what my guess is.

Sibelius

On the Ice

Actually it was a notation on Kinzie's closet I think. This stuff is all over the map, everywhere. I'm lucky (well, for the $$$ I'm not real sure) but mine's likely a Wilson girl for life now, so that cuts the choices down greatly, Gold Seal (coach's choice) or Pattern 99 (skater's choice). Maybe Revolution as the only other option.