Edea rotation blade upgrade to CA? | Golden Skate

Edea rotation blade upgrade to CA?

gracestaniforth

Rinkside
Hi all!

First time poster here, hoping I get this right lol!

I'm an adult skater (22) and have been skating for about 6 months now (2hrs a week, including 1x15 min private lesson and 1x30min group class).

Jumps wise, I've progressed more quickly than my adult counterparts I started with - I have a good waltz, toe, loop (from both entries) and flip, a woeful sal and the beginnings of a Lutz.

Spins are a different story... I still struggle with my one foot spin! I've been working on a scratch and backspin too but they're even worse! My coach says my waltz is high enough and my waltz-loop combo jump is good enough for me to start learning an axel soon - but I need to first learn the backspin which is proving to be a nightmare :(

I'm currently on Edea Overtures with the stock Edea Rotation blade. I've been trying to look this blade up, but have not found any info on it. A few of the better skaters at the rink say its more of a rec blade with little discernible rocker, so I'm (hoping!) that it could be the reason why I struggle so much with spins. I have also found out my current skates are a size too big, and I pronate and have so far not tried moving blades (the rink won't touch them since I didn't buy them there).

I have recently purchased Edea Chorus with the Coronation Ace blade (as recommended by both my coach and fitter) but because of how the holidays fall I won't get them for a while. I was just wondering, whilst I wait to try them out, if there will be a big difference between the blades? I know 6 months is still a short time, and I need more practice, but is there a possibility that these factors are hindering my spinning ability? Also, how long does it usually take to get used to new blades?

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
There isn’t much info on Edea’s website about the spin rocker profile on their blades ... the only one that has any clue in its description is the Charme, which is advertised as having a “three-segment radius.” I would wager that given its price and the fact that it’s marketed as a beginner blade with an 8’ main radius, the other skaters at your rink are probably right in saying the Rotation probably doesn’t have much of a spin rocker, similar to other beginner blades like the Ultima Mark IV / Mirage.

My guess is the two big things you’ll need to adjust to with the Coronation Ace are the more pronounced spin rocker (it has a segmented 12”/27” spin rocker up front) and the 7’ main radius. As a skater who’s beyond basic skills you’ll probably find that the spin rocker being more pronounced helps your spins, turns and edge jump takeoffs, but the 7’ main rocker might be a bit of an adjustment in terms of power and stability (although that being said - I went from an 8’ to a 7’ rocker and didn’t feel much of an adjustment, other than having a much easier time staying off the drag pick when skating backwards). In terms of the amount of time it takes to get used to it - that varies a lot depending on what kind of skills you’re doing. I made the switch (Mirages to MK Pros) before I was even working on waltz jumps, and it didn’t take me more than two or three practice sessions to feel really comfortable on them for three turns and beginning one foot spins.

The Coro Ace is a great blade for the level you’re at, and the really good news is that it’ll be enough blade for you for quite a while, so you won’t have to worry about replacing it until it’s worn out.

gracestaniforth

Rinkside
Thank you for the informative reply!

Ive since spoken to a few more people about the rotation blade and they have said it is a level below the charme blade, and is not built for anything above stroking - which is surprising because I've had no problems with toe jumps and footwork on them, and the toe pick isnt as small as other blades I've seen.

I'm glad to hear that the more pronounced rocker could help with edge jumps as I have so much trouble with them - the sal in my nemesis! I'm really looking forwards to trying spinning on my new blades as well. Hopefully they'll be a lot better than my current spins, especially considering I now have the right sized boots.

I am quite concerned the 7" rocker might cause me a few stability issues. Is this just because there is less blade touching the ice than an 8" rocker?

I just got a call from the skate shop saying they got the blades in earlier than expected so hopefully I will be skating on them sometime this week :) !

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I am quite concerned the 7" rocker might cause me a few stability issues. Is this just because there is less blade touching the ice than an 8" rocker?

Your mileage may vary on this one. The stronger your basic skating skills are, the less of a difference the main rocker will make for you. A 7’ blade is a bit curvier/“rockier,” so it’s a bit easier to change which segment of the blade you’re putting your weight on - whether intentionally or otherwise. A lot of folks find that this makes the 7’ blade feel more responsive for footwork, turns and spins, but that it’s easier to hold a long, stable glide/edge on an 8’ blade (since it takes a little more pressure to rock off of the main segment of the blade).

If your skating skills are solid, changing the size of the main rocker will certainly change the feel of the blade under your foot, but once you adjust to it, it shouldn’t affect your skills all that much. At that point it really becomes a matter of preference, and figuring out which blade profile suits your skating style the best.

gracestaniforth

Rinkside
My skates were ready today so I went to try them out - you were spot on with the change in "feel' so thanks for the heads up!

It certainly felt 'rockier' and it took at least twenty mins to get used to three turns again - backwards ones were certainly a challenge with a shorter blade!

For the first time ever I even did a proper salchow too! It will take a while to perfect and will probably still be my least favourite jump but the new blades will certainly help my sal issue. My edge jumps were not so good though. My waltz felt very unstable (as you predicted) and I could only do a loop from an inside three turn and not backwards cross overs. My toe jumps immediately felt higher and smoother.

I've completely lost the ability to spin; I just can't find the 'sweet spot' at all at the minute. I only managed 2 upright spins out of all the times I tried, however these were 2 of the best spins I have ever done! I managed about 10 revs (I could only do about 4 or 5 before) and they were very fast too!

Overall, I think it's going to take a few sessions to get used to the blades and find that sweet spot again, however I know once I get used to them I will love them and my skating will be better. Everything felt so much faster, smoother and higher.

Thank you for all the advice, it really helped me prepare for my first time on new blades and boots!

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
So glad I could help! :)

One little exercise my instructor recommended for finding the sweet spot - stand at the boards at the beginning of your warmups and spend some time just rolling through the blade on each foot, feeling how and where it changes, and twisting your foot from side to side until you find the spot where there is the least resistance to the circular movement - that’s the sweet spot. Eventually you’ll get used to where it is and finding it will be second nature, but when you’ve got new blades, spending some time getting to know them will help - especially a blade like the Coronation Ace where the spin rocker is a little more gradual than on blades like the MK Pro or the Gold Seal.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
So glad I could help! :)

One little exercise my instructor recommended for finding the sweet spot - stand at the boards at the beginning of your warmups and spend some time just rolling through the blade on each foot, feeling how and where it changes, and twisting your foot from side to side until you find the spot where there is the least resistance to the circular movement - that’s the sweet spot. Eventually you’ll get used to where it is and finding it will be second nature, but when you’ve got new blades, spending some time getting to know them will help - especially a blade like the Coronation Ace where the spin rocker is a little more gradual than on blades like the MK Pro or the Gold Seal.

Great info! My skater will be adjusting to new blades and it really help to have some hints.