Does the size of the top toe pick really matter? | Golden Skate

Does the size of the top toe pick really matter?

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
I've been in Aces for decades, my jumps are huge... Why all the push for blades with a bigger top pick? Does it really make a difference?... Marketing ploy?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've been in Aces for decades, my jumps are huge... Why all the push for blades with a bigger top pick? Does it really make a difference?... Marketing ploy?

No, it's not a marketing ploy. I have worn pretty much every blade or trialed them over my career. I always had huge jumps too but they became even more explosive when I switched from Gold Seals to P99s. I'm a P99 loyal for life now. The top pick on them helps with exactness toe spotting and they also help with control.

The blade needs to align with your skills and abilities at that moment in time and/or the very near future of them.

Sam L

Medalist
No, it's not a marketing ploy. I have worn pretty much every blade or trialed them over my career. I always had huge jumps too but they became even more explosive when I switched from Gold Seals to P99s. I'm a P99 loyal for life now. The top pick on them helps with exactness toe spotting and they also help with control.

The blade needs to align with your skills and abilities at that moment in time and/or the very near future of them.

What do you think of MK Phantoms? Also I agree. Simple logic looking at the toe picks will tell you what a difference they will make but it’s all on technique to be able to handle the toe picks. That all comes to are you ready to handle them...

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
Thanks you two! I'm doing all doubles... No issue with the Aces. Was thinking of a pattern 99 or gold seal.. more to just try something different... thanks for your opinions [emoji4]

Sam L

Medalist
Thanks you two! I'm doing all doubles... No issue with the Aces. Was thinking of a pattern 99 or gold seal.. more to just try something different... thanks for your opinions [emoji4]

No worries I’m interested in upgrading also I’m on aces but I’m only doing singles.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What do you think of MK Phantoms? Also I agree. Simple logic looking at the toe picks will tell you what a difference they will make but it’s all on technique to be able to handle the toe picks. That all comes to are you ready to handle them...

I wore them for a short time period, I'm not much of a fan of MK freestyle blades in general, and same goes for 7ft rockers.