Eurovision 2019 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Eurovision 2019

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Time to go into Fanboy mode again! ;) :biggrin:

It's the day of the Grand Final of the Eurovision Song Contest, and having finished in the Top 10 of Semi Final 2 on Thursday, Leonora will be singing again tonight! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

The Grand Final starts on Saturday 18[SUP]th[/SUP] May 2019 at 22:00 EEST (19:00 GMT; 20:00 BST; 21:00 CEST). So, 14 hours from now.

Here is the link to the livestream on the Eurovision YouTube channel (I have no idea if it will be geo-blocked):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsx4pVjUth0

Leonora will be the sixth act to perform. But, with it being the Grand Final, the Opening is likely to be long, so I am not even going to try and guess how long into the show she will be performing. Just that she will be on within the first hour.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch LIVE tonight, because I will be at a motorbike race all day (which is why this is being posted so far in advance). But, you can rest assured that I will be taping the BBC coverage, and will watch it first thing tomorrow morning.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST, LEONORA!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Ducky

On the Ice
Wait really Netherlands won over Sweden?!!!?!? Like that was an okay song but Sweden brought a CHURCH to Eurovision and I feel as if this should be treated like a diplomatic incident.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Actually, im so happy that public went for Norway, and not for Sweden instead in their votes :clap: Comparing to Norway, there is nothing original in Swedish song and the one who brought the church last night was Madonna :biggrin: Im also happy that North Macedonia and Iceland finished in top 10. Top 3 were kind of a predictible thing from a very begining but they all rised to the ocasion, so im happy for them too :agree: (and UK deserved that last place unfortunately, i mean someone needs to finish last, and it was not right for Spain to be placed there after the jury votes :(

Nirti

Medalist
And what's wrong between the jury and Norway? It's the first time there's a so hudge gap between the televoting #1 and its jury placement (#15...)

Ducky

On the Ice
Okay, upon further listening I kind of think the Iceland entry (Hatrid mun sigra) would make for a rather good free dance for some ice dance team.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Before I talk about the competition itself, can I just say how impressed I was with the Israeli bands that were performing during the intervals in Semi Final 2 (Shalva) and the Grand Final (The Idan Raichel Project). They were both amazing, and I was thinking “it’s a pity that the Eurovision rules limits the number of people on the stage during the competition to 6, because I would love to see either of these bands taking part in the competition”.

Getting back to the competition, and I liked 4 of the pre-qualified countries:

• Germany (24[SUP]th[/SUP])
  • Israel (23[SUP]rd[/SUP])
  • United Kingdom (26[SUP]th[/SUP])
  • France (14[SUP]th[/SUP])

As there are more countries performing in the Grand Final, I pick 2 more countries for my favourites list than I do for the Semi Finals. So, here are my Top 6:

1. Serbia (17[SUP]th[/SUP])
  2. Israel (23[SUP]rd[/SUP])
  3. Russia (3[SUP]rd[/SUP])
  4. Netherlands (1[SUP]st[/SUP])
  5. North Macedonia (8[SUP]th[/SUP])
  6. Norway (5[SUP]th[/SUP])

Given that I commented about Semi Final 1 not being as good as Semi Final 2, it may surprise you that my favourite entry in the Grand Final came from SF1. But, I did say at the time that Nevena was the stand-out act of SF1. And although there were so many strong acts in Semi Final 2, she still ended up ahead of them as my favourite act in the Grand Final.

In fact, the Semi Final 2 acts didn’t come into my list until position 3, because I had a pre-qualified act as my second favourite. The guy representing the host country, Kobi Marimi, was just amazing. I would have much preferred if he was the reason we were in Israel than Netta.

With so much talent in Semi Final 2, it is not surprising that the rest of my Top 6 was filled with acts that had come through SF2. It didn’t take me long choosing which acts would complete my Top 6 – I knew who would be going in pretty much as soon as the last act finished. But, it was very hard to choose an order for them! I liked all of them about the same amount!

If I am totally honest, Tamara Todevska from North Macedonia would have been in my 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] position, except that she didn’t sing as well in the Grand Final as she did in her Semi. Which probably explains why the Public Vote (which was based on her performance in Saturday’s competition) didn’t give her anywhere near as many points as the Jury Vote (which was based on her performance in Friday’s dress rehearsals).

Speaking of points, I don’t know if the commentators in other countries do this, but every time somebody gives the UK points, Graham Norton thanks them. And it has always grated me a bit. Because not everybody watching is necessarily supporting the UK act (but, that’s a general BBC thing. The BBC always assume everybody is support the British – or, more specifically, the English – people who are taking part in any sort of competition, and aren’t interested in any of the other competitors).

Well, when I was watching the results yesterday, I was thanking everybody that gave Denmark points! :biggrin:

So, I have to say a huge thank you to the Italian Jury, who gave Leonora 12 points!!! (They actually did it in both Semi Final 2 and the Grand Final!)

:cheer: Grazie Mille, Italia!!! :cheer:

:clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

Her other big score was 10 points from the Swedish Public in Semi Final 2. But I’m not sure whether to thank them or not, because they didn’t give her any in the points in the Grand Final.

Nah, I will thank them, because every point she got made the difference in her getting through to the Grand Final! ;)

Tack Så Mycket, Sverige!!! (I hope that is right...)

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK guys, I need help.

I have been updating Leonora's Fan Fest to include her Eurovision and “Dansk Melodi Grand Prix” results. And I have been using Wikipedia.

However, I have run into a problem with the “Dansk Melodi Grand Prix” results.

Here is the results table that is on the English Wikipedia (and the Danish Wikipedia):

Superfinal – 23 February 2019
DrawArtistSongJury Vote 50%Jury Vote 100%Public Vote 50%Public Vote 100%PercentPlace
1Sigmund"Say My Name"
14%28%9%18%23%3
2Julie & Nina"League of Light"12%24%23%46%35%2
3Leonora"Love Is Forever"24%48%18%36%42%1

Now, when I saw the "Jury Vote 50%" and "Public Vote 50%" columns, my initial thought was that this was how things stood half way through the voting process. And as a result of that, I laid out my table in the Fan Fest like this:

DateCompetitionLevelJuryPublicTotal
PosScorePosScorePosScore
2018–19 Season
23 Feb. 2019Super FinalSenior148%236%142%
23 Feb. 2019Super Final (At Half-Way Point)Senior124%218%121%
23 Feb. 2019FinalSenior

However, after finishing my table, I realised that Leonora's scores from the "50%" column in the English Wikipedia table were literally half of her scores from the "100%" column in the English Wikipedia table. And when I checked the other contestants, I found the same.

I then looked up the tables on Wikipedia pages for other languages that I understand.

Here is the results table for “Dansk Melodi Grand Prix” that is on the French Wikipedia (and, in a slightly different order, the German Wikipedia):

OrdreArtisteChansonVotePlace
JuryTélévoteTotal
1SigmundSay My Name14 %9 %23 %3
2Julie & NinaLeague of Light12 %23 %35 %2
3LeonoraLove Is Forever24 %18 %42 %1

Looking at this version of the results table, I realised that they were using the "50%" scores, and that they add up to the Total Score.

So, has the person(s) who made out the tables on the English and Danish Wikipedias taken just taken the results of the Jury Vote and the Public Vote, and halved them to show the working out? If this is the case, it was a good idea in theory, but the way the resulting table has been laid out means that it makes things very confusing in practice.

And has the person(s) who made out the tables on the French and German Wikipedias just used the "50%" scores in their tables, as they add up to the total score? If this is the case, it is VERY misleading.

So, do you think these theories are correct? If they are, it means that the tables on Wikipedia badly need re-doing so that they are less confusing / misleading.

But more importantly for me, it means I can remove this "At Half-Way Point" row from my table. Which is why I am asking.

Just while I'm here, does anybody know if the scores from the Final (the stage before the Super Final) were ever announced and, if so, where to find them?

Thank you

CaroLiza_fan