Skate sharpening: lesser of two evils | Golden Skate

Skate sharpening: lesser of two evils

cl2

Final Flight
Being stuck in Singapore longer than expected, I am now in need of a skate sharpening. I have the option of a skate tech who sharpens by hand but has been known to occasionally mess up blades, and someone who uses an automatic sharpening machine, which is supposed to be very precise with the hollow and amount of blade it grinds off.

Which would you choose?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How exactly does the tech “occasionally” mess up if I may ask? Missing edges or by over grinding. I’m skeptical of automatic sharpeners but maybe not as much as inconsistent sharpeners.

cl2

Final Flight
How exactly does the tech “occasionally” mess up if I may ask? Missing edges or by over grinding. I’m skeptical of automatic sharpeners but maybe not as much as inconsistent sharpeners.

People have complained about uneven edges and sometimes flattened rockers. Makes me very apprehensive about using him. The machine sounds like it will follow the current rocker shape exactly.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People have complained about uneven edges and sometimes flattened rockers. Makes me very apprehensive about using him. The machine sounds like it will follow the current rocker shape exactly.

Sounds like he pushes too hard :palmf:

The only people I know that have used the automatic sharpeners are hockey players with very mixed results. I sharpen skates for a few select people and have many years of experience in sharpening. I’d love to hear your feedback if you chose to go with the automatic machine. Good luck.

There is nothing worse than a crappy sharpening. One time someone took my skates and sharpened them by mistake and it took me almost three sharpenings before I could restore then to the correct level and feel :furious:

cl2

Final Flight
Sounds like he pushes too hard :palmf:

The only people I know that have used the automatic sharpeners are hockey players with very mixed results. I sharpen skates for a few select people and have many years of experience in sharpening. I’d love to hear your feedback if you chose to go with the automatic machine. Good luck.

There is nothing worse than a crappy sharpening. One time someone took my skates and sharpened them by mistake and it took me almost three sharpenings before I could restore then to the correct level and feel :furious:

I see. If you don't mind, could you elaborate on the "very mixed results" from the automatic sharpeners? Do they work properly on figure skates?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I see. If you don't mind, could you elaborate on the "very mixed results" from the automatic sharpeners? Do they work properly on figure skates?
Note that there are different manufacturers [and for a given manufacturer, different models and vintages] of automatic sharpeners. So you need to first find out the make, model, and vintage of the specific automatic sharpener. Also, results will still depend on how carefully the operator maintains and sets up the automatic sharpener [assuming the particular automatic sharpener is capable of good results on figure skates in the first place].

Also check that the particular automatic sharpener can handle your particular blades. Standard parallel edges are usually OK. Special edge geometries (such as tapered or parabolic) or special construction (such as Ultima Matrix, Paramount, or Wilson and MK Revolution) may be a problem.

cl2

Final Flight
Note that there are different manufacturers [and for a given manufacturer, different models and vintages] of automatic sharpeners. So you need to first find out the make, model, and vintage of the specific automatic sharpener. Also, results will still depend on how carefully the operator maintains and sets up the automatic sharpener [assuming the particular automatic sharpener is capable of good results on figure skates in the first place].

Also check that the particular automatic sharpener can handle your particular blades. Standard parallel edges are usually OK. Special edge geometries (such as tapered or parabolic) or special construction (such as Ultima Matrix, Paramount, or Wilson and MK Revolution) may be a problem.

Good point about finding out the manufacturer/model, will have to check up on that. My blades are Coronation Ace, and the guy assured me that he's done several of those before, so that should be OK.