Skating on an outdoor rink | Golden Skate

Skating on an outdoor rink

BeTheLivingProof

Rinkside
What is everyone’s thoughts about skating on an outdoor rink in your skates? I thought I had been told years ago that it could ruin your blades, so I’ve never done it, but is that true or an old wives tale?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is everyone’s thoughts about skating on an outdoor rink in your skates? I thought I had been told years ago that it could ruin your blades, so I’ve never done it, but is that true or an old wives tale?

It will likley dull your blades noticeably. Do you have access to a reliable sharpener? Is the outdoor rink maintained by a zamboni and regular ice maintenance? If so I wouldn’t worry much about it. I grew up skating on ponds and that was much tougher to deal with. I always skate outside when I can though. Skating outdoors is usually worth the cost of a good sharpening IMO.

VegMom

On the Ice
I let my skater spend a week skating everyday for multiple hours a day on a pond and it made his blades a mess. We didn't know and only realized when he went back to a proper indoor, well maintained rink and couldn't do anything. But it was easily fixed with a good sharpening. So I plan to let him do it again if he wants.

The main thing I read is that if you do it all the time, then all that sharpening to fix your blades will result in a shorter life for the blades. Also know that rough ice like that may make jumping easier and spins harder.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
You might want to use an old pair or some cheap recreational skates if you have either. It's definitely not good for your blades.

As for ponds, be wary of uneven depth. Don't get your hopes up like I did that one time I drove by a pond that had a bunch of boys playing hockey on one side. It was a very shallow pond that always dried up in the summer, so I knew it would be safe. Well, I went to the other side, took one step, and heard an ominous crack. It turns out that the reason they were all on that side was that the other side's ice was about an inch thick if that. I could see frozen plants at the bottom. :laugh:

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
I would only use my old skates on outdoor ice. It's not good for your blades.. Rock, dirt etc...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It depends what kind of outdoor rink. If it's somewhere that's maintained very well like Sun Valley with a Zamboni, you are fine in your good skates.

But if it's a not so well maintained outdoor rink or a pond like setting, then it's going to destroy your blades. You will get lots of nicks in them and they will dull considerably very quickly. I would not wear a good pair there, that kind of setting is reserved for old skates or rec skates.

Have fun!

cl2

Final Flight
You might want to use an old pair or some cheap recreational skates if you have either. It's definitely not good for your blades.

As for ponds, be wary of uneven depth. Don't get your hopes up like I did that one time I drove by a pond that had a bunch of boys playing hockey on one side. It was a very shallow pond that always dried up in the summer, so I knew it would be safe. Well, I went to the other side, took one step, and heard an ominous crack. It turns out that the reason they were all on that side was that the other side's ice was about an inch thick if that. I could see frozen plants at the bottom. :laugh:

Hope you saw the frozen plants from above the ice, not underwater. :laugh:

Sam L

Medalist
Outdoor rink like Wollmann Rink in NYC or a frozen lake like in the middle of a national park in Sweden? Because let me tell you there’s a difference. You can use your normal blades in the former, I wouldn’t in the latter. But it also depends on the ice and natural conditions. When I went I had sticks and fish sticking out of the ice.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Whoops, I never considered this... That would explain why my skates have been weird since I went to the open air ice rink a few months back.

I feel pretty silly right now!

BeTheLivingProof

Rinkside
Thank you all for the advice!!!! A friend has a pond that he wants me to come skate on, and he has a homemade Zamboni, but I will probably pass for now. I don’t have a second pair of skates (I am planning on getting new ones with my tax refund, so maybe next year)

What about someplace like Rockefeller Center? I’m assuming that would be okay as long as I get my blades sharpened after?

Sam L

Medalist
Thank you all for the advice!!!! A friend has a pond that he wants me to come skate on, and he has a homemade Zamboni, but I will probably pass for now. I don’t have a second pair of skates (I am planning on getting new ones with my tax refund, so maybe next year)

What about someplace like Rockefeller Center? I’m assuming that would be okay as long as I get my blades sharpened after?

I skated at Rockefeller. Trust me you really don’t have enough space to move around to skate enough to dull your blades. You’ll be fine. They have Zamboni there also. The ice is fine for what it is, it’s quite hard Ice more fit for hockey than figure. But it’s fine.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
It's not about indoor versus outdoor; it's more about a real, maintained ice surface versus one that's natural. Any place that's a formal ice rink with real ice and true ice maintenance is fine for your blades, so Rock Center is fine. It's skating on natural ponds and similar that can dull your blades. Usually, a sharpening after you've skated on the pond will fix things.

I kept my old skates for pond skating. I use my real skates places like Rock Center, Wollman, Bryant Park, etc.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Like I said earlier in this thread, if it is somewhere well maintained with a Zamboni like Sun Valley or Rockefeller Center, you are fine.

Sam L

Medalist
It's not about indoor versus outdoor; it's more about a real, maintained ice surface versus one that's natural. Any place that's a formal ice rink with real ice and true ice maintenance is fine for your blades, so Rock Center is fine. It's skating on natural ponds and similar that can dull your blades. Usually, a sharpening after you've skated on the pond will fix things.

I kept my old skates for pond skating. I use my real skates places like Rock Center, Wollman, Bryant Park, etc.

Are you from NYC? I’m back in October. Will they be open in October? I suppose for serious training I can always go to Chelsea Piers.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
For the widest variety (number/times) of freestyle sessions in Manhattan, it's Chelsea Piers. Bryant Park has some limited freestyle sessions, as does Lasker and Wollman. The outdoor rinks tend to open in late October. If you'll be outside of Manhattan, there are other options as well, like Aviator and World Ice Arena.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Does anyone know if Nathan Phillips Square in Toronto is safe for regular skates? My non-skating friend invited me to go, and while I'm not planning to jump/spin there, I don't want to suffer the physical trauma of wearing rentals.

I guess the key question is how well the ice at NPS is maintained - I'm not sure how it compares to Rockefeller etc. having never been to either.