Coronation Ace, vs Ultima Legacy 8, vs Coronation Ace parabo | Golden Skate

Coronation Ace, vs Ultima Legacy 8, vs Coronation Ace parabo

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Back online researching blades! My skater has all her single jumps and just starting the Axel. She works with a coach and also skates 3-4 times per week currently. She is 80lbs but has a new boot fitted for her- the Jackson Debut Fusion in the 50 stiffness, so she has pretty strong ankles/bend already.

My next issue is blades, which I thought I had decided. But now I'm not sure at all! When I spoke with her coach she only mentioned the Coronation Ace or the MK Pros. I felt the Coro Aces of those two was a better choice since she hinted even at the Coro ace parabolic. She tends to try to be budget friendly so she wouldn't flat out recommend the extra cost of the parabolic blade. Her daughter skates on them and loves them BTW. But I could tell her favorite. I'm not sure if its because of experience or because she feels its the best for for my skater.

Originally my plan was to order the Legacy 8 blade for the 8' rocker. It has a 27" spin rocker in front similar to the Coronation Ace spin rocker, but not the extra 12" in the very front.
My skater has been on 8' blades(Jackson skates/blades) and is just now upgrading boots and blades. She tends to get up to the front of her blade easily so not much trouble there. But she could probably use better bite on the ice during stroking, for more power. And she seems like her spins have slowed a bit lately? Learning the axel, the stability of the 8' could be better, but the Coro Ace has a great reputation with intermediate skaters and good maneuverability. Each of the better blades may already grip better. The parabolic blade on the Coro Ace might be the compromise between the 8' Legacy and the Coro Ace at 7'. And I've read there is better heel lift with the Coro Ace blades. Toe picks might be an issue! The Legacy 8 doesn't seem to be very popular and I'm not sure why. Between that and coaches recommendation, I am second guessing the Legacy 8.

I'd appreciate any feedback on these blades since everyone here seems much more experienced/knowledgeable than me.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Back online researching blades! My skater has all her single jumps and just starting the Axel. She works with a coach and also skates 3-4 times per week currently. She is 80lbs but has a new boot fitted for her- the Jackson Debut Fusion in the 50 stiffness, so she has pretty strong ankles/bend already.

My next issue is blades, which I thought I had decided. But now I'm not sure at all! When I spoke with her coach she only mentioned the Coronation Ace or the MK Pros. I felt the Coro Aces of those two was a better choice since she hinted even at the Coro ace parabolic. She tends to try to be budget friendly so she wouldn't flat out recommend the extra cost of the parabolic blade. Her daughter skates on them and loves them BTW. But I could tell her favorite. I'm not sure if its because of experience or because she feels its the best for for my skater.

Originally my plan was to order the Legacy 8 blade for the 8' rocker. It has a 27" spin rocker in front similar to the Coronation Ace spin rocker, but not the extra 12" in the very front.
My skater has been on 8' blades(Jackson skates/blades) and is just now upgrading boots and blades. She tends to get up to the front of her blade easily so not much trouble there. But she could probably use better bite on the ice during stroking, for more power. And she seems like her spins have slowed a bit lately? Learning the axel, the stability of the 8' could be better, but the Coro Ace has a great reputation with intermediate skaters and good maneuverability. Each of the better blades may already grip better. The parabolic blade on the Coro Ace might be the compromise between the 8' Legacy and the Coro Ace at 7'. And I've read there is better heel lift with the Coro Ace blades. Toe picks might be an issue! The Legacy 8 doesn't seem to be very popular and I'm not sure why. Between that and coaches recommendation, I am second guessing the Legacy 8.

I'd appreciate any feedback on these blades since everyone here seems much more experienced/knowledgeable than me.

From everything you are telling us here, and from what I know from experience with pretty much every blade and then some over my career, the Coronation Ace sounds like it would be best for her.

Parallel or parabolic is up to you. I want to make sure you were meaning to talk about parabolic and not the Coronation Ace Revolution, b/c different things there. And from experience, I will tell you I hated the Revolution blades that I tried (and I know many other pros that hated them too) as they caused issues with catch spins and more.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
From everything you are telling us here, and from what I know from experience with pretty much every blade and then some over my career, the Coronation Ace sounds like it would be best for her.

Parallel or parabolic is up to you. I want to make sure you were meaning to talk about parabolic and not the Coronation Ace Revolution, b/c different things there. And from experience, I will tell you I hated the Revolution blades that I tried (and I know many other pros that hated them too) as they caused issues with catch spins and more.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was hesitant to change her main rocker radius because she’s going from literally a recreational boot and blade that’s 8’ Jackson’s to a whole new setup. I wrote about her boots previously and got a lot of good feedback. But as we consulted with her coach and the fitter, the whole situation seems to be shifting and I didn’t want to stay stuck on something like the radius if everything else was compromised. I was starting to get nervous. We took the boots without blades since it wasn’t clear which blade was best. Glad we did that now!

The revolutions seem more advanced for her now, so it would definitely be parabolic if they would help. Plus she loves all the catch foot moves. Lol.

I haven’t seen much feedback on the parabolic blades and it’s not clear if those would be a more stable and useful feature to have. It might make a difference adding stability and in helping her adjust. Or a waste of $. Lol. But a good point made elsewhere is that ice time and coaching time wasted on getting adjusted is just as valuable as the upgrade cost in some cases so it’s worth a thought.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was hesitant to change her main rocker radius because she’s going from literally a recreational boot and blade that’s 8’ Jackson’s to a whole new setup. I wrote about her boots previously and got a lot of good feedback. But as we consulted with her coach and the fitter, the whole situation seems to be shifting and I didn’t want to stay stuck on something like the radius if everything else was compromised. I was starting to get nervous. We took the boots without blades since it wasn’t clear which blade was best. Glad we did that now!

The revolutions seem more advanced for her now, so it would definitely be parabolic if they would help. Plus she loves all the catch foot moves. Lol.

I haven’t seen much feedback on the parabolic blades and it’s not clear if those would be a more stable and useful feature to have. It might make a difference adding stability and in helping her adjust. Or a waste of $. Lol. But a good point made elsewhere is that ice time and coaching time wasted on getting adjusted is just as valuable as the upgrade cost in some cases so it’s worth a thought.

I am from the school of staying on what she will be going to at this stage as far as rocker size. But, that only works now with the well known brands (MK and J Wilson) if she wishes to stay on a 7ft rocker after her intermediate blades, since they don't do 8 or 8.5 (the Coronation comet used to be the latter) anymore. I'm not a fan of the other brands of blades. So, she has a few choices to make:

1. If she chooses an MK professional then she's good with staying with MK blades from there on out because they have 7ft rockers all the way to the top of their blades (gold star and phantom are both 7ft rocker) the same is true if she chooses the JW Coro Ace blade and then wants to go to a higher blade with MKs later on(she would be able to cross brands there). But, if she eventually wants to advance to the Gold Seal or P99, that's an 8ft rocker on both. See what I mean?

2. As far as parabolic versus parallel. Depending where she has a tendency to skate with her weight mostly on her current blade decides if parabolic would really help her enough to justify the extra cost. Advancing up if you do choose a parabolic blade leaves you with MK Gold Star or Phantom. Neither of the top of the line JWilson blades are parabolic that I know. My P99s are parallel and the Gold Seal is tapered/side honed.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
2. As far as parabolic versus parallel. Depending where she has a tendency to skate with her weight mostly on her current blade decides if parabolic would really help her enough to justify the extra cost. Advancing up if you do choose a parabolic blade leaves you with MK Gold Star or Phantom. Neither of the top of the line JWilson blades are parabolic that I know. My P99s are parallel and the Gold Seal is tapered/side honed.
I know a skater with a parabolic Gold Seal and another skater with a parabolic P99. Until recently they were listed on the Wilson website. Just checked and only the parabolic Coronation Ace is now listed, which seems odd. Don't know if the advanced parabolics are being dropped, or whether the website is in transition. Major online retailers such as Kinzies still have parabolic Gold Seals and P99s listed.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I know a skater with a parabolic Gold Seal and another skater with a parabolic P99. Until recently they were listed on the Wilson website. Just checked and only the parabolic Coronation Ace is now listed, which seems odd. Don't know if the advanced parabolics are being dropped, or whether the website is in transition. Major online retailers such as Kinzies still have parabolic Gold Seals and P99s listed.

I knew that they used to exist. I wore a parabolic P99 in the past. But Wilson's dropped them.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
I am from the school of staying on what she will be going to at this stage as far as rocker size. But, that only works now with the well known brands (MK and J Wilson) if she wishes to stay on a 7ft rocker after her intermediate blades, since they don't do 8 or 8.5 (the Coronation comet used to be the latter) anymore. I'm not a fan of the other brands of blades. So, she has a few choices to make:

1. If she chooses an MK professional then she's good with staying with MK blades from there on out because they have 7ft rockers all the way to the top of their blades (gold star and phantom are both 7ft rocker) the same is true if she chooses the JW Coro Ace blade and then wants to go to a higher blade with MKs later on(she would be able to cross brands there). But, if she eventually wants to advance to the Gold Seal or P99, that's an 8ft rocker on both. See what I mean?

I knew that they used to exist. I wore a parabolic P99 in the past. But Wilson's dropped them.

All this information is great for helping me move towards the right blade. It does seem worth the time to consider carefully it seems. I could see that the Legacy 8 wasn’t popular. Lol. So glad I didn’t just rely on internet research from the manufacturers.

I know from my daughters coach she does tend to toe push :rolleye: more than she’d like her to. Lol. She tends to put a lot of energy into her skating. But could use a bit more control overall. She has no problem throwing herself into the air! She gets too many rotations off ice and her coach had to get her to stop doing those. But I wouldn’t say her style is super strong? Her edge jumps are better than her toe jumps right now. All this might be influenced by her lower level skates and blades too. Don’t want to “blame the equipment” but I’m sure there is some effect. Lol.

From what I’ve experienced from the parabolic skis you can really dig in and they are stable. However it seems they are phasing them out and the physics of parabolics might not transfer to skate blades without some flex of the blade. Who knows, one national champion on parabolics and they will take off lol. Not sure if starting with them would be causing trouble later when she couldn’t continue or worth starting to give her some stability during the big change to 7’ Blades. I guess I was looking to keep her feeling stable as she started the axel so a 8’ blade seemed best.

Im not clear which blade profile helps with specific habits for skaters. For instance if the coronation ace is better for skaters who tend to lean forward. Or skaters who don’t have good toe jumps. Or skaters who have trouble with speed in spinning? Those are the things that help the most but I guess the manufacturers don’t want to make specific claims? Well, one coach voted for Coro Aces. Lots of people in the area skate on them and I did read some feedback that it felt like they were being pitched back slightly. Which might be helpful for my skater wearing the new fusion style and getting up on her front pretty. well already. I just don’t want it to be a disaster on ice lol. How hard is it to change blade manufacturers if they are a disaster? :scratch2:

It’s good to know she can stay with whatever blade series and not have to switch back. Honestly she’s never going to the Olympics. Lol. I’m just wanting her to not struggle with any issues I can prevent and keeping her safely moving forward. Thanks for all your input with your experience. I can talk with her coach today again. She has a jumps coach I can ask as well today. No jumping in her old skates though!

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Lots of people in the area skate on them and I did read some feedback that it felt like they were being pitched back slightly.

I wonder if that might be a result of people going from 8’ to 7’ main rockers, more so than the profile of the CA in particular. I think there was another topic on here recently where folks discussed how most beginner blades are 8’, while the most popular intermediates (the CA and the MK Pro) are 7’ - so it seems pretty likely that anyone who starts skating and devotes enough time and energy to get to the point where they need intermediate blades will have to switch from 8’ to 7’.

I can only speak from my own experience, and I have nowhere near the kind of expertise that Ic3Rabbit and others have - but in switching from Ultima Mirages (8’) to MK Pros (7’) I definitely experienced a noticeable change in where my weight was placed on the blade, and since the 7’ blade is “rockier” I found it took less of a shift in my weight to change which part of the blade I was skating on. I adjusted fine within a couple practice sessions, and overall the benefits of the switch outweighed the aggravation - the benefits being that having an actual spin rocker (the Mirage is fairly flat) made a world of difference in three turns and one foot spins, and that I had a much easier time staying off my drag picks when skating backwards.

I’ve heard that the main difference between the Coronation Ace and the MK Pro is that the more gradual spin rocker on the CA is more forgiving while you’re trying to get a spin centered, while the MK Pro’s is easier to find and is more conducive to fast spins. I think this is entirely a matter of preference and what suits your skating style best, though.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
All this information is great for helping me move towards the right blade. It does seem worth the time to consider carefully it seems. I could see that the Legacy 8 wasn’t popular. Lol. So glad I didn’t just rely on internet research from the manufacturers.

I know from my daughters coach she does tend to toe push :rolleye: more than she’d like her to. Lol. She tends to put a lot of energy into her skating. But could use a bit more control overall. She has no problem throwing herself into the air! She gets too many rotations off ice and her coach had to get her to stop doing those. But I wouldn’t say her style is super strong? Her edge jumps are better than her toe jumps right now. All this might be influenced by her lower level skates and blades too. Don’t want to “blame the equipment” but I’m sure there is some effect. Lol.

From what I’ve experienced from the parabolic skis you can really dig in and they are stable. However it seems they are phasing them out and the physics of parabolics might not transfer to skate blades without some flex of the blade. Who knows, one national champion on parabolics and they will take off lol. Not sure if starting with them would be causing trouble later when she couldn’t continue or worth starting to give her some stability during the big change to 7’ Blades. I guess I was looking to keep her feeling stable as she started the axel so a 8’ blade seemed best.

Im not clear which blade profile helps with specific habits for skaters. For instance if the coronation ace is better for skaters who tend to lean forward. Or skaters who don’t have good toe jumps. Or skaters who have trouble with speed in spinning? Those are the things that help the most but I guess the manufacturers don’t want to make specific claims? Well, one coach voted for Coro Aces. Lots of people in the area skate on them and I did read some feedback that it felt like they were being pitched back slightly. Which might be helpful for my skater wearing the new fusion style and getting up on her front pretty. well already. I just don’t want it to be a disaster on ice lol. How hard is it to change blade manufacturers if they are a disaster? :scratch2:

It’s good to know she can stay with whatever blade series and not have to switch back. Honestly she’s never going to the Olympics. Lol. I’m just wanting her to not struggle with any issues I can prevent and keeping her safely moving forward. Thanks for all your input with your experience. I can talk with her coach today again. She has a jumps coach I can ask as well today. No jumping in her old skates though!

You can't go wrong with either the JW Coro Ace or the MK Pro. If she does have to move up from there, that is when you decide if she wants to stay on a 7 ft rocker (then you would go with MK Gold Star or Phantom) or switch to 8ft rocker (JW Gold Seal or P99). Switching between blade brands is not a big deal (I've done it and takes minimal adjustment, in my experience). But again, you cross that road when you get to it, don't over-complicate this. I will let you know this: Many to most of us are either predominant edge jumpers OR toe jumpers, so don't worry if her edge jumps are better than her toe ones right now. She will get it (and for the time being, she's in good company, I'm a predominant edge jumper.) ;)

Sunshine247

On the Ice
You can't go wrong with either the JW Coro Ace or the MK Pro. If she does have to move up from there, that is when you decide if she wants to stay on a 7 ft rocker (then you would go with MK Gold Star or Phantom) or switch to 8ft rocker (JW Gold Seal or P99). Switching between blade brands is not a big deal (I've done it and takes minimal adjustment, in my experience). But again, you cross that road when you get to it, don't over-complicate this. I will let you know this: Many to most of us are either predominant edge jumpers OR toe jumpers, so don't worry if her edge jumps are better than her toe ones right now. She will get it (and for the time being, she's in good company, I'm a predominant edge jumper.) ;)

OP: In case you missed it, this recent thread discussed switching between different rockers: https://goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?77279-Blades-Suggestion

After talking with her coach I basically went with the Coro Ace. It’s a popular option and seems like she can easily get used to it. If she doesn’t like it we will switch and maybe we’ll sell it since it’s popular. Lol.

Glad to see she’s in with good company with her jumps. Lol.

I’ll look into the discussion on blades and switching. I have gained so much by reading on this forum! It’ll definitely help make the transition for her. So glad we’ve had all this help. My older daughter will go from Elle’s to something more advanced in just a month or so as well! Both my skaters and I are so grateful. Thanks to everyone!