Solution to my tongues twisting to the outside | Golden Skate

Solution to my tongues twisting to the outside

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I already know that this is a common consequence of pronation (I am an extreme over-pronator). My boots already have wedge correction, custom orthotics, and blades set more to the inside. But still, the tongues slide all the way to the outside unless I tie the skates so tight that I cut off the circulation (and even then, they manage to move).

I have read on the Harlick website that you can solve this problem by punching a hole in the tongue so that you lace through it. Has anyone tried this (even though I have the recommended leather tools, I am very reluctant to punch through the tongue myself)? Can you have a lace hook added to your tongues after the fact (and would that help)? What other realistic options do I have to fix this problem? I think, despite lots of corrections, I'm just a chronic over-pronator and that the tongues are going to still twist despite all of the corrections. Its really annoying to have to stop and deal with this every 2 minutes while I'm skating and the problem is getting worse and more irritating as I progress.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I already know that this is a common consequence of pronation (I am an extreme over-pronator). My boots already have wedge correction, custom orthotics, and blades set more to the inside. But still, the tongues slide all the way to the outside unless I tie the skates so tight that I cut off the circulation (and even then, they manage to move).

I have read on the Harlick website that you can solve this problem by punching a hole in the tongue so that you lace through it. Has anyone tried this (even though I have the recommended leather tools, I am very reluctant to punch through the tongue myself)? Can you have a lace hook added to your tongues after the fact (and would that help)? What other realistic options do I have to fix this problem? I think, despite lots of corrections, I'm just a chronic over-pronator and that the tongues are going to still twist despite all of the corrections. Its really annoying to have to stop and deal with this every 2 minutes while I'm skating and the problem is getting worse and more irritating as I progress.

Check with your skate pro and see if they are able to install a lace hook. Do not do this yourself.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Check with your skate pro and see if they are able to install a lace hook. Do not do this yourself.

Thanks - I am going to ask when I bring in my boots this week. Is this something a skate tech normally does (like punching, stretching, sharpening) or is this a more specialized request that might require additional expertise and/or equipment and parts? For example, I'd be fine asking the skate tech to punch out my boots but if they need to be re-lined, I would send back to the manufacturer as that's beyond the level of repair and support they can do.

Curious if anyone has had an "aftermarket" lace hook installed and can share their experience on whether it worked for them. I'm worried that if the tongue didn't have the hook originally, it might not be constructed in a way that will support the hook.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks - I am going to ask when I bring in my boots this week. Is this something a skate tech normally does (like punching, stretching, sharpening) or is this a more specialized request that might require additional expertise and/or equipment and parts? For example, I'd be fine asking the skate tech to punch out my boots but if they need to be re-lined, I would send back to the manufacturer as that's beyond the level of repair and support they can do.

Curious if anyone has had an "aftermarket" lace hook installed and can share their experience on whether it worked for them. I'm worried that if the tongue didn't have the hook originally, it might not be constructed in a way that will support the hook.

It may vary by skate pro. And yes, I had an aftermarket lace hook installed on one of my sets of boots a long time ago to see if it would solve this problem. It worked and there were no problems. Now, my custom boots come with the tongue lace hook. ;)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Its really annoying to have to stop and deal with this every 2 minutes while I'm skating and the problem is getting worse and more irritating as I progress.
I also strongly pronate. One reason your tongue twisting is getting worse may be that the sponge lining of the tongue is breaking down and the surface is getting smoother through wear: less springiness and less friction make it easier for the tongue to move. Here's an alternative solution to try out. It works for me; but whether it will work for you will depend on your boots and feet. However, it's quick, easy, and cheap to try out; and it requires no boot modification.

Insert an intermediate pad between the sponge lining and your foot. Cut the pad from soft, squishy foam. You may have some on hand from used packing material. If not, try craft or fabric stores. I would start with 1/4" thick (uncompressed) sheet. Cut a rectangular piece approximately wide enough to cover the width of the tongue and long enough to extend from the top of the tongue to about 2 inches below the ankle bone. Snip the corners diagonally so they don't dig in. You can try out different thicknesses and sizes to see what works best for you.

If that works, you will want to make something more rugged: bare craft or packing foam won't hold up too long. I use very-soft/ultrasoft Poron foam sheet and cover both faces with moleskin. I skate about 5 times/wk year round. I've just finished 3 yrs with my pads ... and they're still going and going and going.

There are commercial lace-bite pads available. But you're better off custom-tailoring your own.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I also strongly pronate. One reason your tongue twisting is getting worse may be that the sponge lining of the tongue is breaking down and the surface is getting smoother through wear: less springiness and less friction make it easier for the tongue to move. Here's an alternative solution to try out. It works for me; but whether it will work for you will depend on your boots and feet. However, it's quick, easy, and cheap to try out; and it requires no boot modification.

Insert an intermediate pad between the sponge lining and your foot. Cut the pad from soft, squishy foam. You may have some on hand from used packing material. If not, try craft or fabric stores. I would start with 1/4" thick (uncompressed) sheet. Cut a rectangular piece approximately wide enough to cover the width of the tongue and long enough to extend from the top of the tongue to about 2 inches below the ankle bone. Snip the corners diagonally so they don't dig in. You can try out different thicknesses and sizes to see what works best for you.

If that works, you will want to make something more rugged: bare craft or packing foam won't hold up too long. I use very-soft/ultrasoft Poron foam sheet and cover both faces with moleskin. I skate about 5 times/wk year round. I've just finished 3 yrs with my pads ... and they're still going and going and going.

There are commercial lace-bite pads available. But you're better off custom-tailoring your own.

Thanks, that actually sounds like an interesting, low-risk technique. Where does one actually buy a sheet of Poron (I know that you can get insoles made from it, but never saw it sold as a sheet).

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks, that actually sounds like an interesting, low-risk technique. Where does one actually buy a sheet of Poron (I know that you can get insoles made from it, but never saw it sold as a sheet).
Poron sheet is sold by industrial supply houses. Sorry, don't know of any in Canada. In the US, US Plastic carries a large inventory at good prices (https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/i...MIxqiTjO7K3wIVCZ6fCh1NwAp6EAAYASAAEgIPB_D_BwE) . Amazon used to carry a good selection at reasonable prices under their "Small Parts" brand, but their selection has dropped and their prices are now outrageous. Prices on eBay also tend to run high these days.