Edea Overture or Chorus? | Golden Skate

Edea Overture or Chorus?

frannysk8ts

Spectator
Hey there,
I hope this is the right forum :)
So, I‘ve been skating for 2 years now and have my single Toeloop and Sal. As well as my Waltz jump, Mohawks, three turns, basic figures, one and two foot spins, etc. I‘ve started with sit-spins a few weeks ago. And I‘ll start with the Flip and Loop soon.
My question now is whether the Edea Chorus or Overture would suit me better. I‘m a 15 year old girl, weigh 51 kg (112 pounds) and am 1.67 m (5’5) tall. I skate 2-4 times per week (depends on school :/), which sums up to 4-8 hours.
When I started I got fitted into the Risport RF light boot (stiffness grade 40) with the MK Galaxy blade. I’m completely content with the blade, as I love the bite of its toepick, but I’m not too comfortable with the support of the boot. The tongue is pretty easy to bend...
I now wanted to try an Edea boot (as I also get toe cramps in my current one) and was wondering whether I should go with the Overture or even the Chorus already, as a longer term investment. Do you have any advice on that? I’d be very thankful for your help :)

spread beagle

Rinkside
Hi there,

if you are not too comfortable with the stiffness of the RF light and you're looking for a long term investment that may carry you through all your doubles than I'd say go straight for the Chorus. I've had Overtures and Risport's RF4, RF3 and Etoiles. Overtures are slightly stiffer than the Etoile and on par with the RF4, which I guess is more or less like the RF light nowadays. Just my 2 cents, of course.

Best of luck and happy skating :)

frannysk8ts

Spectator
Hi there,

if you are not too comfortable with the stiffness of the RF light and you're looking for a long term investment that may carry you through all your doubles than I'd say go straight for the Chorus. I've had Overtures and Risport's RF4, RF3 and Etoiles. Overtures are slightly stiffer than the Etoile and on par with the RF4, which I guess is more or less like the RF light nowadays. Just my 2 cents, of course.

Best of luck and happy skating :)

Ok, thanks for your reply! :)
I was actually tending towards the Chorus, but I’m only afraid of overbooting. And I wasn’t sure if I could keep my blades with them, but I think I’ll talk to my coach after Christmas break as well.
Anyway, this has already helped me a lot ;)

zjamic

Rinkside
I was actually tending towards the Chorus, but I’m only afraid of overbooting. And I wasn’t sure if I could keep my blades with them, but I think I’ll talk to my coach after Christmas break as well.

According to my one skate tech, you can't overboot in Edea due to the lacing technique and build/mechanics of the brand. Edea is meant to be loose in the ankle, the support being on the sides, and to allow your ankle to move compared to the tradition boot brands like Jacksons or the others. So that is why you see kids with Edea ice fly doing waltz jump or basic single jumps at some rinks because you can't overboot. Definitely a discussion to have with your coach because he or she will have a good idea of what you'll need. Also, if you chose Edea there is a chance you'll need new blades (I'll explain why below)

However, I would always go with recommendation of the skate tech. He or she will measure your feet and have years of experience to place you in a boot that should work for you, but you may have to dabble around to find the boot that works for you. Edea may or may not work you because the brand is different than most other brands in how you lace and have they work, as well as the blades being smaller for a size compared to another brand. Example, my old Jackson boots are approximately the same size as my Edea or potentially smaller, but at 1/4" longer than the blades on my Edea skates. If you decide to get Edea and follow through, then the looseness of the ankle and the [potentially] smaller blade will deter for a little bit, as well as seeing if you can adjust enough to like them or not.

I will tell you that in my personal experience with Edea is that they are comfortable and light! Also, the only brand of skates to fit my exceedingly wide feet. I'm on my first pair and I'm in love to the point of looking forward to second pair due to the easy break-in period. My boot and blade combo are Edea Concerto and JW Gold Seal Rev. I'm stuck doing singles atm due to a recovering injury and the boots are doing really good for only doing singles, so no overbooting issues (the boots and blades did get do a few doubles and triples on harness not too long ago tho).

Good luck!

mystery905

Rinkside

Edea boots typically use shorter blades than other makes for the same size.

You may need new blades so factor that in.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I tried both the Overture and Chorus and love the Chorus. Much better support and they lasted me a year and a half before they died.