a question about free skate test | Golden Skate

a question about free skate test

iceskating21

On the Ice
I was reading free skate test requirements and confused how to count jump/spin and combinations.

For example, Pre free skate requires (1) 3 different single jumps (2) one 2-jump combination, (3)......

If you put a 2-jump combination as , say, loop&Lutz for requirement (2), can you count them as 2 different single jumps for requirement (1)?

I just want to make sure whether my daughter is ready before I talk to her coach.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The way I would interpret it is that you would have to do 3 different single jumps plus a 2-jump combo. so the lz-lo combo would count as the 2- jump combo, and you would have to do them again separately for them to count towards the single jump requirement.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Are you talking about the US tests?

It might help to look at the test judging sheets, available at https://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=59378

The Preliminary Free Skate test, for example, requires five jumping passes:
*A waltz jump or single axel
*three different single or allowable double jumps
*one two-or three-jump combination

There is also a note that "Required jumps may be performed as solo jumps, or as part of the permitted jump combinations or sequences, but no jump element may count for more than one of the jump requirements."

The test requirements have been aligned with the competition requirements since last year. Preliminary well-balanced program allows five jumping passes of which three can be combinations.

So a skater can do three combinations in the test program and count a jump that is part of a combination as the required waltz jump/axel or as one of the other single or allowable double jumps.

Then they must also count a different jump combination as the required combination.

What they can't do is use the same jump combination to fill two different boxes on the form.

A lutz-loop combination can count as the required combination OR it can count as a lutz OR it can count as a loop, but it can't count for two or three of the above.

Basically, you need to do five jump passes to meet the test requirements. You can't do only three or four jump elements and count the same combination for more than one of the five boxes on the test form.

If you're referring to Pre-Preliminary rather than Preliminary, then double jumps are not allowed, half-flip and half-lutz do count, and no jump combination is required, but the other principles are the same. You have to do five separate jumping passes to meet the test requirements.