Is it time to give up my Edeas? Custom? | Golden Skate

Is it time to give up my Edeas? Custom?

jojobobo

Rinkside
I feel like I have tried long and hard to make my Edea Concerto boots work with my feet and just don't know when it's time to give up on them. I have punched them out so many times that I've lost count, heat molded them, tried custom orthotics, bunga pads, tape, a wish and a prayer. And the irony of this whole situation is that my left foot loves my Edea boot.... and my right foot HATES (yes all caps) them :laugh::palmf:. Zero problems with my left foot and all the problems with my right- mainly foot pain between my big toe and the second toe. I also may have developed a small bunion and a cyst while on the Edea boots that was related to poor arch support and improper blade alignment, which may have been corrected by now, but i can't be sure since my foot is still hurting most of the time.

SO.

It's a whole sob story haha, but I was just wondering if I could get some wiser advice and maybe a reassuring word that I am making the right decision on giving up my Edeas? Should I give them a bit longer? Try more things? I've been on them for almost a year now, having switched over from Jacksons. The Jacksons I had before hurt my feet in different ways and I felt like there wasn't enough cushion, which is why I switched to the Edeas.

Can anyone recommend going full custom? Harlicks? SP-Teri's? I skate ranging from 2-5 times a week, 2 hours at a time. Around Freestyle 4-5 level.
My coach seems to think that maybe going custom would be good for me, but they are a lot of $$. Does anyone have any experience with custom boots? Or can anyone recommend any other boots to try? I feel like my feet... may be slightly different sizes which would explain having only one foot have all the issues.

Any advice or experiences you can share with me would be super appreciated.
By my right foot.
Because it's crying and whining from my Edeas :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
I'm a big supporter of Risport! Been skating in them for 30 years.. Quality is outstanding and they've been around forever.. No gimmicks...I feel like people go for edea bc of the look and short break in period..
My risports last me years...
I tested out the ice fly and absolutely hated it.. Killed my arch and felt too wobbly.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I feel like I have tried long and hard to make my Edea Concerto boots work with my feet and just don't know when it's time to give up on them. I have punched them out so many times that I've lost count, heat molded them, tried custom orthotics, bunga pads, tape, a wish and a prayer. And the irony of this whole situation is that my left foot loves my Edea boot.... and my right foot HATES (yes all caps) them :laugh::palmf:. Zero problems with my left foot and all the problems with my right- mainly foot pain between my big toe and the second toe. I also may have developed a small bunion and a cyst while on the Edea boots that was related to poor arch support and improper blade alignment, which may have been corrected by now, but i can't be sure since my foot is still hurting most of the time.

SO.

It's a whole sob story haha, but I was just wondering if I could get some wiser advice and maybe a reassuring word that I am making the right decision on giving up my Edeas? Should I give them a bit longer? Try more things? I've been on them for almost a year now, having switched over from Jacksons. The Jacksons I had before hurt my feet in different ways and I felt like there wasn't enough cushion, which is why I switched to the Edeas.

Can anyone recommend going full custom? Harlicks? SP-Teri's? I skate ranging from 2-5 times a week, 2 hours at a time. Around Freestyle 4-5 level.
My coach seems to think that maybe going custom would be good for me, but they are a lot of $$. Does anyone have any experience with custom boots? Or can anyone recommend any other boots to try? I feel like my feet... may be slightly different sizes which would explain having only one foot have all the issues.

Any advice or experiences you can share with me would be super appreciated.
By my right foot.
Because it's crying and whining from my Edeas :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am here to help! :)

From what you are telling me: I would look into getting away from Edea and semi-custom (your issue is only one foot). I'd look into Jackson (semi-custom Jackson are way different than the low level stock you probably used to wear), Risport, SPTeri, Harlick, Graf.

I have worn anything and everything when it has come to brands over the years. For me personally (everyone's feet are different) Jackson and Risport worked the best. My dance boots are Risport and then about yearly to every 15 months I get 2 pairs new custom Jackson for freestyle (I skate high level and professionally, so I use my skates way more than you do ;)).

If you need any help, don't be afraid to ask me.

Good luck!

Sibelius

On the Ice

From what you are telling me: I would look into getting away from Edea and semi-custom (your issue is only one foot). I'd look into Jackson (semi-custom Jackson are way different than the low level stock you probably used to wear), Risport, SPTeri, Harlick, Graf.

I have worn anything and everything when it has come to brands over the years. For me personally (everyone's feet are different) Jackson and Risport worked the best. My dance boots are Risport and then about yearly to every 15 months I get 2 pairs new custom Jackson for freestyle (I skate high level and professionally, so I use my skates way more than you do ;)).

Good luck!

What's the general turn around time from order to receipt for Jackson customs? We've got a couple of months before she needs new boots, but she's in between Debut and Premiere/Elite. A softened Premiere might be the best compromise if it's not too much of a premium over stock since the next blade's going to kill me anyway.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What's the general turn around time from order to receipt for Jackson customs? We've got a couple of months before she needs new boots, but she's in between Debut and Premiere/Elite. A softened Premiere might be the best compromise if it's not too much of a premium over stock since the next blade's going to kill me anyway.

It varies by time of year, boot level and specific customization from my experience. Once they do the first pair though, it's significantly less.

Your best bet would be to contact them and get an estimate.

Sibelius

On the Ice
It varies by time of year, boot level and specific customization from my experience. Once they do the first pair though, it's significantly less.

Your best bet would be to contact them and get an estimate.

Thanks. I'll send them a message and see what they can do, they are great at answering quickly. I know I have to get started soon since I'm guessing at least 8 weeks, and by then I think we'll be pushing the limit on her boots.

jojobobo

Rinkside

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I was looking into Risport as well, but I feel like they are hard to get a hold of in the US? I'm in California and I don't know anyone that sells or works with Risports.

Have you tried Harlicks or SP-Teri's? Can you recommend getting a fully custom boot, or do you think getting semi-custom Jacksons would be a better spend? I have a friend who's on semi-custom Jackson and she still experiences foot issues, so I guess it could still be a mixed bag of results?

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I personally have gotten customs from Harlick, mostly because I tried many different "stock" boots but could not find anything that didn't kill my feet. My feet are confirmed to be two different sizes (two different widths too.....I bet that's not too common) with a lot of congenital foot problems, bunions, pronation, etc. The Harlicks were built from a completely custom last, so they accommodate all of the weirdness in my feet really well, and I could make other adjustments for abnormal anatomy as required.

My skater also has some of the same feet problems as me, but has the semi-custom "stock" (not really, but Harlick refers to them this way) with many modifications. It has helped resove a lot of pain and complaints.

I will say that the one thing is that if you are seriously considering Harlick or sp Teri and you are close enough to to go visit them in person, you absolutely should. They measured and fitted me at my appointment (way more then just putting your foot in a measuring device) and took pictures of my wacky feet. They are the experts on how their skates fit or can be made, so I highly encourage a personal visit. For us, it was a godsend, but then we have messy feet.

An unrelated suggestion is that you might want to also see a podiatrist if you are having the kinds of problems you describe. Perhaps there is something that you need (orthotics?, boot modifications) that a professional can recommend.

Also, have you run these issues by your skate tech? Perhaps there was an issue with the manufacture of one boot (hey, it happens) or something that they can spot and fix with their expertise.

Good luck and take care of your feet!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for the advice! I was looking into Risport as well, but I feel like they are hard to get a hold of in the US? I'm in California and I don't know anyone that sells or works with Risports.

Have you tried Harlicks or SP-Teri's? Can you recommend getting a fully custom boot, or do you think getting semi-custom Jacksons would be a better spend? I have a friend who's on semi-custom Jackson and she still experiences foot issues, so I guess it could still be a mixed bag of results?

I'm not suggesting you get a fully custom boot unless your professional fitter, after taking measurements and making tracings of your foot, says that fully custom is the only thing that would work for you. Fully custom can be very expensive.

Semi custom Jackson, Harlick, SPTERI or Risport could work for you from what you tell me, but again you would have to go get someone to fit you. Risport dealers are only in MA, NY, and Toronto that I know of, none on the west coast.

Back when I tried Harlicks I was still doing stocks and they were way too narrow for my foot. I never got to an SPTeri because I found another brand first that worked for me.

I can't speak for your friend that is having issues with her semi-custom Jackson, but it just might be a wrong fit for her, I can't say.

Good luck!

Sibelius

On the Ice
I'll just say that Sp-Teri is great to work with. On our coaches recommendation we went with the expectation of getting one of their boots. After measuring and listening to us they kept my skater in Jacksons (ordered, fitted, punched and heat molded by them), just in a different width. They said as long as Jacksons work for her there is no reason to change to one of their boots, I almost feel a little guilty not getting a pair (they are really heavy boots compared to her Jacksons though). If you are able to visit I highly recommend it. We also visited Harlick for a fitting and they were great as well, the difference was between a $6-700 "stock" Harlick or a $300 Jackson that fit and functions perfectly. We've been back to Sp-Teri a few times now for sharpenings and consults and they are great every time. We'll be going back soon to discuss what's next, but at our last consultation they said she was still fine in what we've got.

jojobobo

Rinkside
Thanks everyone for your input!!! This has been really helpful.

Looks like I'll be looking into semi-custom Jacksons first and then potentially make a visit to Harlick/SP-Teri :).
I've been to a podiatrist already several times and had a custom orthotic made to wear inside of my boots, but the pain is still there :\. I think it might be just that my feet don't like ... something about the Edea shape? The width maybe? So I'll go back to my stock Jacksons and see if that helps a bit. Could be that my foot is just so irritated now that it needs a break from skating before I can test out skates again from a base line of no pain :|.

Thanks again everyone!!

Nimyue

On the Ice

Semi- Custom is about 6 weeks, full custom is about 8 weeks. If you only issue is that your right foot in longer than your left, then that is only a semi-custom order, so you should get them pretty quick.

Nimyue

On the Ice
Thanks everyone for your input!!! This has been really helpful.

Looks like I'll be looking into semi-custom Jacksons first and then potentially make a visit to Harlick/SP-Teri :).
I've been to a podiatrist already several times and had a custom orthotic made to wear inside of my boots, but the pain is still there :\. I think it might be just that my feet don't like ... something about the Edea shape? The width maybe? So I'll go back to my stock Jacksons and see if that helps a bit. Could be that my foot is just so irritated now that it needs a break from skating before I can test out skates again from a base line of no pain :|.

Thanks again everyone!!

Just want to throw my experience out there, I ordered custom Harlicks and they caused me a world of problems. I ordered them in June and now I'm waiting on my Jackson customs to arrive in March.

If you go Harlick/SP Teri, I highly recommend finding out when the boot manufacturer is at a competition or show near you. They do travel often, so you might get lucky!

Another thing I recommend is trying to identify what DOES work in both your Edea and Jackson. I focused only on what didn't work and some of the key things that did work weren't transferred over into my customs... specifically the Jackson lace hole right at the ankle crease was really great for holding my heel in, but we didn't order my customs with that. Also, the Jackson has a very tall toe box, and we didn't think to order that either! So identify the things that work so that if you order customs, you make sure to incorporate them!

Good Luck!

Sibelius

On the Ice
Just want to throw my experience out there, I ordered custom Harlicks and they caused me a world of problems. I ordered them in June and now I'm waiting on my Jackson customs to arrive in March.

If you go Harlick/SP Teri, I highly recommend finding out when the boot manufacturer is at a competition or show near you. They do travel often, so you might get lucky!

Another thing I recommend is trying to identify what DOES work in both your Edea and Jackson. I focused only on what didn't work and some of the key things that did work weren't transferred over into my customs... specifically the Jackson lace hole right at the ankle crease was really great for holding my heel in, but we didn't order my customs with that. Also, the Jackson has a very tall toe box, and we didn't think to order that either! So identify the things that work so that if you order customs, you make sure to incorporate them!

Good Luck!

How long is it taking for your custom Jacksons? I just got a message back that they can do "Rapid Custom" on their Debut, Premiere and Elite models. I don't think we need a full custom since the stock boots fit really well, but we need some stiffness adjustments for my skater. They didn't give me an answer about turnaround time though.

Nimyue

On the Ice
How long is it taking for your custom Jacksons? I just got a message back that they can do "Rapid Custom" on their Debut, Premiere and Elite models. I don't think we need a full custom since the stock boots fit really well, but we need some stiffness adjustments for my skater. They didn't give me an answer about turnaround time though.

I was quoted 8 weeks. Jackson requires a full custom if the ball and heel width are more than 2 sizes apart. I have an E ball and an A heel, so there I am. Plus with the full custom I was able to pick out my tongue, pick my sole, specify the exact heel height I wanted (this was VERY important to me), plus specify the upper style. With a full custom you can order pretty much anything they have ever made, so I was able to get an old 4200 which the upper was made with leather as well as padding.

Sibelius

On the Ice
I was quoted 8 weeks. Jackson requires a full custom if the ball and heel width are more than 2 sizes apart. I have an E ball and an A heel, so there I am. Plus with the full custom I was able to pick out my tongue, pick my sole, specify the exact heel height I wanted (this was VERY important to me), plus specify the upper style. With a full custom you can order pretty much anything they have ever made, so I was able to get an old 4200 which the upper was made with leather as well as padding.

Thanks, that appears to be standard t/o time for any custom. We'll likely not need full custom, if we ever do it'll likely be an Sp-Teri since that's who we work with for her boots, and who kept her in Jacksons for now. I'm just glad we have the option of staying out of that $$$ range for now, since the next blade (P99, Phantom or Gold Seal) is going to do enough damage.