How many times can you switch blades on carbon soles? | Golden Skate

How many times can you switch blades on carbon soles?

SmallAminal

On the Ice
My skater is complaining that the performance of the blades is not the same (toe pick is kind of smushed looking, very little "life" left in the blade).

We are thinking of replacing the blade, which I understand can be done on carbon soles as long as the tech has the right materials to "plug" the holes.

However, my skater is keen to try the lightweight version of the blade (I'm not convinced the Coronation Ace Revolution is worthwhile but my skater is working on doubles). Part of it is that we can get the right size in that blade immediately, vs. waiting to order the "original" version to be ordered.

I am wondering if we switch to the Revs and they aren't satisfactory, and then switch to a new pair of "regular" Coronation Aces, is this too much drilling into the carbon sole? I assume that there is some finite number of times that you can drill into a carbon sole.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My skater is complaining that the performance of the blades is not the same (toe pick is kind of smushed looking, very little "life" left in the blade).

We are thinking of replacing the blade, which I understand can be done on carbon soles as long as the tech has the right materials to "plug" the holes.

However, my skater is keen to try the lightweight version of the blade (I'm not convinced the Coronation Ace Revolution is worthwhile but my skater is working on doubles). Part of it is that we can get the right size in that blade immediately, vs. waiting to order the "original" version to be ordered.

I am wondering if we switch to the Revs and they aren't satisfactory, and then switch to a new pair of "regular" Coronation Aces, is this too much drilling into the carbon sole? I assume that there is some finite number of times that you can drill into a carbon sole.

I'll let someone else answer about carbon soles because I don't work with them and am not a fan, but I'll also tell you the rev version of blades is a waste too.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I’m personally devoted to lightweight blades and I’m also going to advise you against Revolution style blades, and for two reasons in particular: one, the only part I liked about them, the higher stanchion height, would be completely unnecessary for a child, and two, everything else about them is a hassle.

I actually think that because the carbon sole is harder and has less give than traditional leather, the finite-ness of how many times you can drill and sand that sole down is greater than that of a traditional sole. Carbon soles don’t rot the way leather and cork do. So yes, as long as your tech has the tools for repairs (and if they’re a dealer of the boots, they should) there should be no reason swapping out the blades would be an issue. They’d probably hold more fast after drilling than traditional, honestly.

Would you not be swapping blades with the same size, though? I know JW are handmade, but the sole and heel plates should have holes that line up on both models, so if the blade swap doesn’t involve a reposition, there probably would be no drilling anyway.