Ice Depth concern? | Golden Skate

Ice Depth concern?

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
Many years ago, I went to a rink which has a figure skating club, I went for figure shinny, apparently they weren't maintaining their ice and I hit concrete and chipped my toe pick. Didn't really affect my skating because it was minimal damage but since then I have worried about this... I read that most rinks only have a depth of 1.5 inches.[emoji15]
That's not much in my mind...
Anyone else hit concrete.. Is it a valid concern or am I just being paranoid lol

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Many years ago, I went to a rink which has a figure skating club, I went for figure shinny, apparently they weren't maintaining their ice and I hit concrete and chipped my toe pick. Didn't really affect my skating because it was minimal damage but since then I have worried about this... I read that most rinks only have a depth of 1.5 inches.[emoji15]
Anyone else hit concrete.. Is it a valid concern or am I just being paranoid lol

I think in most reputable rinks, this should not be an issue. Even 1.5 inches would basically be impossible for you to cut through in skates.

Where I DO worry about this is when we do outdoor skating - I've run over concrete and metal in outdoor rinks the city sets up in the winter (some of them are fountains in warm weather, so low ice levels can mean you run over metal or concrete). Those rinks are not really maintained (or maintained minimally, so if the weather changes drastically, you have to watch to make sure the ice didn't melt and re-freeze in an uneven way. At one of them, the ice didn't go all the way out to the corner of the concrete pad, so you had to avoid that area.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

When skating in a new place and I have done so alot, I always make sure now to do some laps around and kind of eye up and examine the ice surface all the way around, so I don't try to pick in anywhere too shallow (if that makes sense). Yes, in the past I wasn't paying attention at a facility and picked in for a triple and it didn't turn out great because I hit concrete. I destroyed my blade, my knee and my wrist when I landed on the latter on the way down.:eek:hwell:
No you are not paranoid for thinking about this, but don't let it overtake your skating life. Just keep an eye out and check over the ice, if you think it's not safe then don't skate there. :agree:

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
I think in most reputable rinks, this should not be an issue. Even 1.5 inches would basically be impossible for you to cut through in skates.

Where I DO worry about this is when we do outdoor skating - I've run over concrete and metal in outdoor rinks the city sets up in the winter (some of them are fountains in warm weather, so low ice levels can mean you run over metal or concrete). Those rinks are not really maintained (or maintained minimally, so if the weather changes drastically, you have to watch to make sure the ice didn't melt and re-freeze in an uneven way. At one of them, the ice didn't go all the way out to the corner of the concrete pad, so you had to avoid that area.

Thanks SmallAminal, it actually happened when I picked in for a jump.. [emoji50]

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
When skating in a new place and I have done so alot, I always make sure now to do some laps around and kind of eye up and examine the ice surface all the way around, so I don't try to pick in anywhere too shallow (if that makes sense). Yes, in the past I wasn't paying attention at a facility and picked in for a triple and it didn't turn out great because I hit concrete. I destroyed my blade, my knee and my wrist when I landed on the latter on the way down.:eek:hwell:
No you are not paranoid for thinking about this, but don't let it overtake your skating life. Just keep an eye out and check over the ice, if you think it's not safe then don't skate there. :agree:

Good to know I'm not crazy lol, I always check but sometimes you just never know. I have even gone so far as asking about ice depth to the ice crew hahaha...they must think I'm so weird lol

cl2

Final Flight
When I was skating at a seasonal rink, the management would ask us not to do any jumps for the first week or so that they've laid the ice, because the ice would be still fairly thin.

Another funny encounter is, one time my rink (a different one from above) was doing some maintenance assessment and had to bore several small cylindrical holes in the ice, about 1 inch in diameter, all the way down to the concrete. Yes, I was particularly careful to avoid picking or skating close to those holes.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Yes, in the past I wasn't paying attention at a facility and picked in for a triple and it didn't turn out great because I hit concrete. I destroyed my blade, my knee and my wrist when I landed on the latter on the way down.:eek:hwell:
:

ouch! How irresponsible of that rink! To me, there is a certain level of responsibility that an indoor rink has to maintain ice safety for figure skating purposes or to close the ice if it is not in a proper state of maintenance. I guess some of them don't take this seriously.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Good to know I'm not crazy lol, I always check but sometimes you just never know. I have even gone so far as asking about ice depth to the ice crew hahaha...they must think I'm so weird lol
You're not crazy. Definitely a concern. For a while, one rink was low on refrigerant. The far end of the rink (furthest from the entry point of the refrigerant) would not get cold enough, and you could sink into the concrete. Then there was the time at another rink in which the pipes sprang a leak at several spots: refrigerant percolated through the ice, leaving holes several inches wide. I'm usually first on the ice during my sessions, so I always take a survey skate of the ice when I first get on, noting bad ice conditions as well as debris (on occasion I've found screws and bolts that have come loose from the boards or from the Zamboni).

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
A technical question: what refrigerant is used nowadays?

In professional cold storage facilities the refrigerants are usually toxic and sometimes flammable, which is undesirable in public skating facilities. Even many of the competition rinks you see on TV don't have a permanent ice floor, the floor is removed once the ice has thawed after the end of competition.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A technical question: what refrigerant is used nowadays?

In professional cold storage facilities the refrigerants are usually toxic and sometimes flammable, which is undesirable in public skating facilities. Even many of the competition rinks you see on TV don't have a permanent ice floor, the floor is removed once the ice has thawed after the end of competition.

Brine or Glycol are usually pumped under the ice floor to maintain the cool temps. At least those are the two I know of.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
When I was skating at a seasonal rink, the management would ask us not to do any jumps for the first week or so that they've laid the ice, because the ice would be still fairly thin.

Another funny encounter is, one time my rink (a different one from above) was doing some maintenance assessment and had to bore several small cylindrical holes in the ice, about 1 inch in diameter, all the way down to the concrete. Yes, I was particularly careful to avoid picking or skating close to those holes.

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, I saw at an arena once a hole with something stuck into it.. I figured they were measuring, but to this day I still have no clue what it was...the weird thing is, it was right where you would do a Lutz lol so I had to avoid that end... It looked like electrical wire or metal.. I was worried about being electrocuted or something hahaha

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
1.5in is super substantial. I've only ever had this worry at natural rinks, like frozen ponds or lakes. Never thought about it on manmade ice, but yikes. Scary. I can see how actually hitting concrete would make you paranoid forever.

christy

On the Ice
We have a seasonal rink and the first few days after they put the ice back in it's really thin. If anyone tries even a low level pick jump they run the risk of hitting concrete. It usually takes a week before the ice feels "normal".

Nimyue

On the Ice
My main rink has an issue with ice depth. The ice can be really thin in places, we have floating paint, and my coach picked in and hit sand recently (She doesn't even really skate when coaching, just slowly showing how a jump should go etc. nothing full out). It's annoying.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
1.5in is super substantial. I've only ever had this worry at natural rinks, like frozen ponds or lakes. Never thought about it on manmade ice, but yikes. Scary. I can see how actually hitting concrete would make you paranoid forever.

Right!? I tend to worry. Lol

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
My main rink has an issue with ice depth. The ice can be really thin in places, we have floating paint, and my coach picked in and hit sand recently (She doesn't even really skate when coaching, just slowly showing how a jump should go etc. nothing full out). It's annoying.

Yeah, it's better sand then concrete though lol :) [emoji38]

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
We have a seasonal rink and the first few days after they put the ice back in it's really thin. If anyone tries even a low level pick jump they run the risk of hitting concrete. It usually takes a week before the ice feels "normal".

Yikes! [emoji33]

RoaringMice

On the Ice
I always do a lap to check the condition of the ice, too. I'm looking for lumps, bumps, remaining carvings from earlier hockey, and holes from quads. I thought I was the only one who does this!

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
I always do a lap to check the condition of the ice, too. I'm looking for lumps, bumps, remaining carvings from earlier hockey, and holes from quads. I thought I was the only one who does this!

No, I think we're all a little paro. LOL! :)